PDA

View Full Version : Foot Soreness After Hours in the Saddle

Splash
06-12-2014, 03:51 PM
So, after the 2 hour mark on my 4 hour ride, my feet begin to hurt on the balls where they are mounted onto the cleat.

they do not hurt anywhere else.

any thoughts on how this soreness can be eliminated?

splash

tiretrax
06-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Search term "hotfoot"

dogdriver
06-12-2014, 03:58 PM
The rest of me usually hurts enough after two hours that I don't notice my feet. +1 the "hotfoot" search, I'll bet that you're about to buy a set of footbeds. I worked as a ski boot fitter for several years, and thus have a few pairs of ski boot "custom" insoles. These work great for me in bike shoes, but there are several brands of insoles that people like. At the extreme end, you could go to a podiatrist and have him twist you up a set of orthotics, but I doubt that you'll have to resort to that.

Ken Robb
06-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Try moving your cleats toward the heels of your shoes. This may relieve the concentration of pressure under the balls of your feet. It will also reduce pressure/fatigue of your calf muscles especially when you stand up to pedal.

This works for me. It might work for you. It costs nothing. :banana:

Splash
06-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks boys.

How much space should be inside the shoe between the top of my foot and the underside of the top of the shoe - to achieve a comfort fit and minimise foot soreness?

Seems to be a fair bit inside my shoe.

Splash

christian
06-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Mount the cleat to your shoe! :eek:

regularguy412
06-12-2014, 08:03 PM
This is why I use 2 insoles in my shoes and get the shoes a half (European) size too big.

Mike in AR:beer:

donevwil
06-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks boys.

How much space should be inside the shoe between the top of my foot and the underside of the top of the shoe - to achieve a comfort fit and minimise foot soreness?

Seems to be a fair bit inside my shoe.

Splash

Minimal, obviously without overly constraining your feet. You don't want your feet to be moving excessively relative to the shoes while pedaling, it'll lead to blisters, irritation and worse, lost power.

What pedal & shoe combo are you using ? MTB pedals in somewhat flexible recessed cleat shoes ?

pbarry
06-12-2014, 08:05 PM
More information needed: Is this an old set-up--old pedals and shoes that you've been riding for years? Or new shoes, pedals/cleats recently adjusted and installed?

Alan
06-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Try the eFit insoles which many cycling gurus recommend. These are fairly thick insoles so make sure they fit ok in your shoes. See link below:

http://www.esoles.com/products/efit/

I also agree w moving cleats back on the shoe so ball of foot is past axle of pedal.

Alan

Splash
06-12-2014, 09:13 PM
I am using 2012 brand new Sidis with very stiff carbon bottom - with brand new Look KEO Blade Ti pedals.

Cleats to suit the interface between these 2 items.

SPlash

Louis
06-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Smart-@ss !!!

Mount the cleat to your shoe! :eek:

To the OP - one thing to check is shoe fit, probably caused by shoes that are too small. As you ride your feet swell, and if your shoes are too small they have nowhere to go. This increases the pressure all over, but it's worst where you're applying the greatest load into the shoe + pedal. (At least that's my non-podiatrist understanding of the situation.)

I had it happen to me years ago so I switched from a relatively narrow Specialized model to Sidi and things have been great ever since.

Good Luck

pbarry
06-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I am using 2012 brand new Sidis with brand new Look KEO Blade pedals.

Cleats to suit the interface between these 2 items.

SPlash

Who set the cleats up? Trying to figure out what the difference is between this gear and your old, presuming you have been riding for a while.

My procedure for new cleats on new shoes: Make sure the ball of your foot is directly over the pedal axle. I put a dot with a pencil or maker on each shoe where the middle of the ball of the foot is; while standing, and placing pressure on each foot, with the new shoes on. Then, take each loose pedal and engage the slightly firm, but not completely tightened, cleats. Move the shoe around, so the mark on the shoe is directly over the center of the pedal axle. Then stand on the pedal and shoe combo, and rotate your heal to your approximate riding position/foot angle. Double check the ball over axle alignment, then tighten cleat fully.

After installing the pedals, make sure the center of the cleats rotation is in the middle of your range of comfort. Toe-in not enough is bad, as is the opposite.

I've done this a dozen times in 35 years, and, except for a few tiny adjustments for in/out angle, it works well, and may solve your pain issue. If not, the excellent recommendations for footbeds may be the ticket.

Good luck with this.

Splash
06-12-2014, 09:50 PM
the shoes are not too small as i purchased them a half (European) size too big on purpose.

ridden many 100'ks with these shoes on my previous bianchi setup with the exact same type of pedal - no problems.

The foot / cleat position was setup by my LBS and I have had 2 rides on this new setup.

pbarry - i notice you aim for ball over axle, whereas others move their cleats toward the heels of their shoes.....

Splash

Louis
06-12-2014, 09:57 PM
I don't get it - why change things if everything was fine before?

ridden many 100'ks with these shoes on my previous bianchi setup with the exact same type of pedal - no problems.

The foot / cleat position was setup by my LBS and I have had 2 rides on this new setup.

cp43
06-12-2014, 09:58 PM
How wide are your feet? For me the difference in comfort between a 47 Sidi, and a 47 Sidi Mega is huge. Too narrow and I get really bad hot spots.

It might be worth it to try a wide shoe.

For me, wide shoes and specialized high arch insoles do the trick. I can ride all day and all night (literally) with no foot pain with that setup.

Chris

pbarry
06-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Congrats for posting a more complete picture of your gear. Lots of folks here with decades of experience and willing to share it if you give them enough information.

I don't get hotfoot or have any pain with my method. YMMV, as you are the one that posted a problem, and the two rides with what your LBS did is not working for you. :eek:

Sounds like your saddle might be a bit high, causing slight pronation and pressure on the ball. Check your saddle height.

Ken Robb
06-12-2014, 10:03 PM
As we age we lose padding in our feet so new problems are not atypical.

Tony
06-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Try to not pedal with just the ball of your feet but your entire foot from ball to heel weighing the entire foot and feeling the whole shoe underneath your foot.
Moving the cleat position behind the ball of your feet and using insoles will also help, did for me.

Splash
06-12-2014, 11:42 PM
How wide are your feet? For me the difference in comfort between a 47 Sidi, and a 47 Sidi Mega is huge. Too narrow and I get really bad hot spots.

I have just measured my feet - 97mm (3.81") across the widest part.

I also have the 47 Sidi.

Are my Sidis too narrow for my feet?

SPlash

Louis
06-12-2014, 11:44 PM
How snug are the sides of the shoes (near the balls of your feet) when you first put them on? Nice and snug might be too tight.

Splash
06-12-2014, 11:46 PM
I don't get it - why change things if everything was fine before?

I am using a separate bike with separate pedals.

The shoes may have been fine on the previous bike but just the slightest change in setup dimension to my new bike needs to be accounted for...

Splash

Splash
06-12-2014, 11:48 PM
How snug are the sides of the shoes (near the balls of your feet) when you first put them on? Nice and snug might be too tight.

good question... when they are first put on, the shoes appear not too tight or too snug.

SPlash

Splash
06-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Moving the cleat position behind the ball of your feet and using insoles will also help, did for me.

Does this mean to move move the cleats toward the heels of my shoes?

Splash

Louis
06-12-2014, 11:56 PM
If you're using the same pair of shoes for Bike #1 and #2 and the same type of pedals on the two bikes (but not the exact same pedals) why should the cleat position change from Bike #1 to Bike #2?

Unless we're talking about something like a crit bike vs a triathlon bike so you have different positions, I would think that the cleat stays in the same position on the shoe for both bikes.

Maybe I'm dense, but I still don't understand.

Splash
06-13-2014, 12:00 AM
perhaps my seating and handlebar position has changed - putting new/different magnitudes of pressure on my ball - even with the same cleat position??

splash

Louis
06-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Could well be. Different folks are sensitive to different amounts of motion, but sometimes 5 mm can make a big difference. (I'm no fit expert, but have noticed that for myself.)

Splash
06-13-2014, 12:17 AM

Chris

Chris - How wide are your feet across the widest part? Were your 47 Sidis too narrow?

Splash

cp43
06-13-2014, 07:36 AM
Chris - How wide are your feet across the widest part? Were your 47 Sidis too narrow?

Splash

If I stand on a rule, my feet are ~110mm (4 3/8") wide across the ball of my foot. For me, standard width Sidis in a 47 were too narrow. 47 Mega is roomy enough for me.

It sounds like the regular width would be wide enough for you.

Chris

Splash
06-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Thanks Chris.

i will go on another century ride tomorrow morning with cleats back, front of shoes loosened and a SIDI insert placed inside along with 2 pairs of socks.

will see how that goes...

splash

cp43
06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
I think cleats back, front straps loose are good ideas. I'm not sure about two pairs of socks. You don't want your foot compressed.

How high are your arches? I have very high arches, and I found that the Sidi insoles offered me no arch support at all. More supportive insoles, the Specialized ones in particular, are much more comfortable for me. If you can source some new insoles today, they might be worth trying.

All that said, I would hesitate to try too many new things at once on a century ride. If you do get new insoles, consider bringing the old ones along, so you can swap them mid-ride if you need to.

Good luck with the foot/shoe issues, and enjoy the ride tomorrow!

Chris

oldpotatoe
06-13-2014, 08:50 AM
So, after the 2 hour mark on my 4 hour ride, my feet begin to hurt on the balls where they are mounted onto the cleat.

they do not hurt anywhere else.

any thoughts on how this soreness can be eliminated?

splash

For ME, I had same gig and I was clinching my toes...a metatarsal lift pushed up under ball of feet, forcing toes to un-clinch.....e soles, worked for me.

Ymmv IMHO etc

Splash
06-14-2014, 08:18 AM
ok - recovered from my century ride this morning and need to advise that i still hurt.:mad:

although the hurt on my foot balls really came on in the last 30 mins of the 4 hour ride. normally the hurt would come on much sooner.

there was a peculiar thing though - my right big toe was hurting most of the way. all other 9 toes were ok...

i shifted the cleats towards the heals as much as i could and placed a sidi sole insert in both shoes. i also loosened off the toe strap and mid straps on both shoes quite a bit...

my hands were hurting, my bum was hurting and i have a saw shoulder blade from something that has happened over the last month or so (feels like a piece of hot burning ember inside my skin)....

splash

ultraman6970
06-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Some people fix that getting the saddle higher a couple of mm.

makoti
06-14-2014, 07:59 PM
If you move the cleat on your shoe back, do you need to move your saddle up/down the same amount?

Splash
06-28-2014, 07:52 AM
After the Arch o meter, the lbs observed I was a blue candidate for these insoles. I just collected a set and will now fit and ride with these insoles. Report later .

Splash