PDA

View Full Version : OT: Must Eat Food in San Diego?

buldogge
06-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Hey Guys...My son is heading out to SD for a few days with friends and is looking for some "must eat" places to go.

Need places that skew towards "cheap"/affordable...

Could be street food, pubs, dives...whatever...zero food restrictions/bias.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

ColonelJLloyd
06-12-2014, 01:59 PM
I've never been, but this site may be of help to him. http://sandiego.eater.com/

ptourkin
06-12-2014, 02:19 PM
The Yelp arguments about burritos are endless but they will have the best hints for where to get our most iconic menu item, the California burrito. I'm not a carnivore, but when I was, it was the perfect dish. For an interesting environment to eat one at, try Lucha Libre Taco Shop not far from the airport. For good MX in North County, Bull Taco is the go to spot. They won't be disappointed. Stay out of Old Town, it's mostly tourist crap. Same goes for the Gaslamp and Seaport Village. Beer is the other part of the essential SD experience and if they don't tour tasting rooms, Tiger! Tiger! and Blind Lady Ale House have world-reknowned beer boards and great food. I'd stay away from Stone, you can get that stuff anywhere, including Costco. Find some of the more esoteric spots like Modern Times and Hess and grab the closest burrito, it will be better than anything attainable anywhere else, especially the Mission (<ducks>)... (ours have french fries!)

enr1co
06-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I take it for granted with them all over the place but this seems to be a popular destination/suggestion for out of state visitors:

http://cdn.cnwimg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/innout_veggieburgers.jpg

http://www.restaurants.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/In-N-Out-300x225.jpg

yoshirider
06-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Since your son is going with friends, I recommend that they check out Dick's Last Resort for drinks. I can't comment on the food, but we had beers and cocktails here and it was very entertaining. The servers would purposely be rude to you and do funny stuff like make a hat with some crude joke on it.

malcolm
06-12-2014, 02:39 PM
café 222 for breakfast. Pumpkin waffle is awesome, really anything there is good.

breukelenvr6
06-12-2014, 03:25 PM
He can check out Yelp for a lot of suggestions, but for great authentic Mexican here are my picks. These aren't tourist joints but my friends' local favs:

Germano's Marisco Taco Truck in South Park - seafood tacos, etc.
Super Cocina in Normal Heights - homestyle Mexican food (no tacos or burritos here)
La Fachada in Logan Heights - best carnitas tacos around

Kirk Pacenti
06-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Phil's BBQ - https://www.philsbbq.net/ - The "El Toro" is great!

Ken Robb
06-12-2014, 03:31 PM
what are their favorite types of food? Old enough to drink?

buldogge
06-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Hey Guys...Thanx for the suggestions so far.

Chains are a no go...In-N-Out is OK...I would probably subject myself to Tommy Burger, just for old times sake.

It doesn't have to be Mexican either, we actually have a bunch of ("real") Mexican joints in the STL...although I am sure he would like to sample the local fare.

TA
-Mark

uno-speedo
06-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Bronx Pizza
The Station Tavern for burgers and craft beer
The Mission for breakfast
Extraordinary Dessert
Hash House A Go Go for mind blowing breakfast portions, and the food tastes good!
Wahoos Fish Tacos
Mariscos German Taco Truck - THE BEST! Get fish tacos or ceviche
Hamiltons Tavern for beer and atmosphere

Now I'm hungry.

buldogge
06-12-2014, 03:37 PM
He's pretty open...dunno about his buddies...he's not a huge seafood/sushi guy (I blame his Midwest upbringing)...26yo.

He's kinda secretive about the drinking (I'm straightedge), but I've always assumed he partakes...although I have never personally seen him drink alcohol! I will pass the brewpubs/etc onto him...

Any exemplary pizza joints?

-Mark

what are their favorite types of food? Old enough to drink?

Ken Robb
06-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Some of the best deals are happy hours at nice restaurants. We have been enjoying Seasons 52 for HR. You get a flight of 3 2oz. pours of red or white, then you choose your fave and they bring you a 6 oz. glass of that and a flat bread pizza for $15. If we are still hungry (the lads will be) we order a small plate/appetizer to share. It's a lively nice bar scene for singles too.

Lanternrouge
06-12-2014, 03:47 PM

I'd second the suggestion for Phil's because not only is the food great but also because Phil is a big supporter of the dog rescue group I work with. I've seen some crazy lines there.

Ken Robb
06-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Just so you know it's not real BBQ in my opinion. They roast the meat in regular ovens and give in a quick crisping on a char-grill when it's ordered. A guy expecting real slow-smoked BBQ might be disappointed. Lots of folks enjoy Phil's but I'm not one of them.

uno-speedo
06-12-2014, 03:56 PM
I agree with Ken on Phils.

Bronx Pizza for me is the best, some like Leftys Chicago Pizza which has a deeper crust.

ptourkin
06-12-2014, 03:59 PM
He's pretty open...dunno about his buddies...he's not a huge seafood/sushi guy (I blame his Midwest upbringing)...26yo.

He's kinda secretive about the drinking (I'm straightedge), but I've always assumed he partakes...although I have never personally seen him drink alcohol! I will pass the brewpubs/etc onto him...

Any exemplary pizza joints?

-Mark

Pizza - cheap good slices = Bronx or Luigis, classic oven = Buon Forchetta in South Park (Uno-Speedo, I think you live in my hood,) with beer = Blind Lady Ale House (an extremely bike-friendly biz, btw.) Deep dish Chicago style with velodrome racers = Lefty's (sponsor of racing.)

Jeff N.
06-12-2014, 04:01 PM
IMO, Phil's is over-rated. It's OK, but those ridiculous lines to get in...no thanks. Just head straight to Old Town, don't screw around. Casa de Reyes, Old Town Mexican Cafe, El Coyote and dozens more. Then head to Stone Brewery at Liberty Station and wash it all down with the best brew on the planet, Stone Ruination IPA on tap. Then go back to your hotel room and sleep like a baby. Case closed. Jeff N.

Lanternrouge
06-12-2014, 04:02 PM
I agree with Ken on Phils.

Bronx Pizza for me is the best, some like Leftys Chicago Pizza which has a deeper crust.

People who like thin crust LOVE Bronx Pizza. For those of us who prefer thicker crusts, it is still pretty good too.

uno-speedo
06-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Uno-Speedo, I think you live in my hood

Used to and worked at Velo Cult!

Lefty's does a mean burger too.

nublar
06-12-2014, 05:10 PM
California Burrito or Carne Asada fries at Michocans (only after 10 pm after a night of drinking or right after a bike ride)

dvs cycles
06-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Hodad's for burgers in SD and in Ocean Beach.

FastforaSlowGuy
06-12-2014, 08:06 PM
I lived in STL, and my wife is from there, and even the "real" Mexican there bears little relationship to the stuff in SD. Hit Oscars seafood in Pacific Beach. We visited in Feb and ended up eating there 3 nights in a row. Take out, can be slow, but the smoked fish tacos are to Mexican what Colnago is to bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gummee
06-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Pipes in Encinitas for breakfast. Bring cash, they don't take cards.

JVs in Loma Portal. GREAT food after the Thurs night Fiesta Island ride

Pretty much any 'hole in the wall' Mexican place. Hard to go really wrong there.

Pizza Port, Stone's brewery (but expect 'fine dining' for food, not pub fare), there's a bunch of good places on Mira Mesa according to a buddy that lives there again

Sandy Eggo + good food = long list

M

buldogge
06-12-2014, 08:31 PM
When did you live here? We've had a sizable influx of mexicans over the last decade.

Not sure what part of town you lived or what places you got around to…but…there are a couple places on Cherokee and over in Fairmount City (on the EastSide) that serve up some killer pastor, carnitas, barbacoa, cabeza, menudo, etc.

I spent a lot of time in SoCal in the 90's and we've got a couple places here that are just as good as pretty much anything I ate while there…there are exceptions of course…but…nothing earth shattering.

I will say that there was a better "selection" of places with/for fish tacos, but my son's not huge on seafood regardless.

-Mark

I lived in STL, and my wife is from there, and even the "real" Mexican there bears little relationship to the stuff in SD. Hit Oscars seafood in Pacific Beach. We visited in Feb and ended up eating there 3 nights in a row. Take out, can be slow, but the smoked fish tacos are to Mexican what Colnago is to bikes.

parallelfish
06-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Hodad's

FastforaSlowGuy
06-12-2014, 08:34 PM
When did you live here? We've had a sizable influx of mexicans over the last decade.

Not sure what part of town you lived or what places you got around to…but…there are a couple places on Cherokee and over in Fairmount City (on the EastSide) that serve up some killer pastor, carnitas, barbacoa, cabeza, menudo, etc.

I spent a lot of time in SoCal in the 90's and we've got a couple places here that are just as good as pretty much anything I ate while there…there are exceptions of course…but…nothing earth shattering.

I will say that there was a better "selection" of places with/for fish tacos, but my son's not huge on seafood regardless.

-Mark

Very possible it's gotten better. We left in '04. Lived in U City and CWE. I forget how long it's been!

buldogge
06-12-2014, 08:47 PM
My shop is in The Loop…there is still no great mexican there or in CWE…but…there are two decent gringo/nuevo/white guy owned places…Mission Taco in The Loop and The Tortilleria in the CWE that have tasty non-traditional fare.

I would love to try Oscar's in SD…unfortunately, I won't be there!

I assume if you like mexican, you are hurting in Boston! (I'm from Boston, originally) When I was a kid, about all there was for mexican was El Torito and a handful of Taco Bell's!! I've seen people talk about a place in East Boston more recently…can't remember the name though.

-Mark

Very possible it's gotten better. We left in '04. Lived in U City and CWE. I forget how long it's been!

rounder
06-12-2014, 09:51 PM
I don't know about best cuisine, but some of the most memorable places I have been to eat were in La Jolla...beautiful place. Do not remember the names of either. One was a place where you walk in and order and wait for your food...there were sofas and comfortable chairs all over and you had a view of the beach. The other was more up on the main street where you sat upstairs outside with gas powered heaters in winter. A musician would play while you ate a burger and watched the beach and traffic roll by. La Jolla was nice.

bigbill
06-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Another vote for Lefty's. That whole area has great bars and restaurants. Get some slices to go and head to the velodrome for some entertainment.

buldogge
06-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanx guys…I've forwarded the suggestions to him.

TA
-Mark

JAGI410
06-12-2014, 10:28 PM
California Burrito or Carne Asada fries at Michocans (only after 10 pm after a night of drinking or right after a bike ride)

This. Also the Stone Brewery/Pizza Port recommendations are solid bets too.

SoCalSteve
06-13-2014, 12:10 AM
I loved this place (http://www.dzakinsdeli.com/), but that was many moons ago...I bet it is still great for Jewish deli!

gomango
06-13-2014, 04:23 AM
I don't know about best cuisine, but some of the most memorable places I have been to eat were in La Jolla...beautiful place. Do not remember the names of either. One was a place where you walk in and order and wait for your food...there were sofas and comfortable chairs all over and you had a view of the beach. The other was more up on the main street where you sat upstairs outside with gas powered heaters in winter. A musician would play while you ate a burger and watched the beach and traffic roll by. La Jolla was nice.

Agreed on La Jolla.

We had one of our favorite family vacations there.

Our boys still talk about swimming and surfing with a dozen Leopard Sharks in the surf nearby when we were at Torrey Pines. Not to mention the Guitarfish. What a strange creature!

As far as eateries, any place that served fish tacos was their first choice. There was a Wahoos Tacos around the corner that they insisted eating at everyday.

Saint Vitus
06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Los Quatros Milpas or Porkyland (there's one in LJ) for Mexican. The gents that ran Miho (a food truck) now have Juke in North Park, their food was always exemplary (for a truck no less).

Convoy is great for Asian places, the Dumpling Inn is one spot to hit as is Tajima. Pho T Cali on Clairemont Mesa is great for Vietnamese Pho and very reasonable.

Gummee
06-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Awww man! Forgot the Chicken Pie Shop and the Corvette Diner down in North Park.

(reminiscing about the track got some more neurons firing)

M

Jeff N.
06-13-2014, 09:30 AM
I loved this place (http://www.dzakinsdeli.com/), but that was many moons ago...I bet it is still great for Jewish deli!

Their Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches are outa this world!

ptourkin
06-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Their Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches are outa this world!

quite kosher.

DY123
06-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Roberto's Taco Shop. There is one almost everywhere.
Pizza port brewery. A few around town
Brigantine (gets lots of votes for best fish tacos in SD)

Saint Vitus
06-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Roberto's Taco Shop. There is one almost everywhere.

Don't forget Aliberto's, Hilberto's, Gilberto's...

ptourkin
06-13-2014, 11:56 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1565999&postcount=64

Ken Robb
06-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Agreed on La Jolla.

We had one of our favorite family vacations there.

Our boys still talk about swimming and surfing with a dozen Leopard Sharks in the surf nearby when we were at Torrey Pines. Not to mention the Guitarfish. What a strange creature!

As far as eateries, any place that served fish tacos was their first choice. There was a Wahoos Tacos around the corner that they insisted eating at everyday.
You were in my backyard. It is a great place to live/visit.:banana:

Ken Robb
06-14-2014, 10:23 AM
For a bit upscale but reasonable experience I like C Level on Harbor Island. It is the "discount/casual" side of a pricey dinner house (Island Prime). They are a really good deal at Happy Hour. There is plenty of free parking and the restaurant is right on San Diego Bay with fabulous views to Coronado and the Downtown skyline.

jimcav
06-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Rocky's dive bar for burgers in crown point

Lucha Libre on Washington St just east of the I5 (on north side)--i just love their surf and turf burrito, good bottled beer selection too

Saint Vitus
06-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Speaking of something different, the Turf Supper Club in Golden Hill or Starlite near the airport. If he wants to socialize and meet others in his age bracket...

Jeff N.
06-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Don't forget Aliberto's, Hilberto's, Gilberto's...

...Humbertos, Rigubertos, et. al. ad. nauseum...:)

Gummee
06-14-2014, 09:34 PM

Cotijas

M

Jeff N.
06-14-2014, 09:46 PM
And let's not forget Rubios!

Leoner
06-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Tioli's Crazy Burger
4201 30th Street, San Diego, CA 92104

It's a dive but a great beer selection and awesome burgers.

Saint Vitus
06-15-2014, 10:23 PM

Alanbertos on Uni and College lololol

Cotijas

M

Cotijas is great, Hector and Able at the one across from Cowles (coals...) Mtn are the best!