PDA

View Full Version : Continental GP 4000 tires

Sandy
02-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Has anyone used the new Continental GP 4000 tires? I am considering using the 700X25 size. The reviews that I have read have been positive with the exception of one, in which the reviewer said they were really poor in the rain.

I would appreciate any input relative to these particular tires.

Sandy

Bill Bove
02-19-2006, 09:00 PM
I've been riding some 700x23's for a couple of months and I'd have to say that they are an improvement over the GP3K's. I have not pushed them to their limit on wet pavement yet though.

Lower rolling resistance? Si

Higher puncture resistence? Check

Longer wear? Around 2000 miles on 'em and those wear indicater holes are still showing

Sandy
02-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks for your post, just the kind of info that I want.

Sandy

roadie7
02-20-2006, 04:42 AM
I was surprised to read that someone said the GP 4000's were poorly rated in the rain. The first ride after I had them, I was caught in a downpour and they held the road very well. In fact, I turned too quickly once and I stayed upright. I got them for their wear life and I'll let you know.

LegendRider
02-20-2006, 06:33 AM
I've had a set of GP 4000s for a couple of months now. So far, I've been extremely pleased. They corner well, they seem fast (low rolling resistance), I haven't punctured, they're wearing well and they don't show cuts from glass shards, etc. I'm so happy, in fact, that I'll switch to them permanently from the Michelins I've traditionally rode. No experience in the rain however.

scrooge
02-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Are the 25s "True" 25s, or more like 23s (as is apparently typical for conti)? Anyone know?

LegendRider
02-20-2006, 07:42 AM
The 23's measured true for what it's worth.

Headwinds
02-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Didn't I tell you that these tires are good?! :bike:

If it is wet and dangerous, just don't ride that bike man!

Sandy
02-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Russ.....Russeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Yep! I remember well. I was going to PM you and ask for a follow up. I remember that you really liked them.

Sandeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeee

Too Tall
02-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Just say no to Conti clinchers and that's all I've got to say.
Ohhhh, welll maybe one more thing. If you've got to ride clinchers and want something nice but won't break the bank consider Veredestine Race or Michelin Pro Race.

IXXI
02-20-2006, 06:46 PM
they've been great in the rain and haven't punctured. and yes, they've had plenty of opportunity to show off on both counts.

jerk
02-20-2006, 07:13 PM
they're fine. they work well for a clincher in all conditions including wet and icy and slushy conditions. the jerk has had them on his american classic 420s for some time now, and they are just as good as any other clincher and a whole lot better than most.

jerk

Rover-Rich
02-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Sandy, I have ridden the GP4000 and have directly compared them to Michellin pro race 2's. I much prefer the Pro races. I have not had a flat on either tire and have ridden them both on the crappy roads here near Chicago. As far as wet conditions, I have ridden the GP4000s in light rain/snowy conditions. They did ok, but heck when it snows/rains, I go real slow :) Why push it? I have not ridden the pro races in the rain so I can't really comment on how they do. I'm sure the GP4000s are as good as the Pro 2s, but gee whiz the Pro 2s sure feel nice. Just my opinion and hope it helps you a little bit. :beer:

Sandy
02-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Great information given on the tires. I do appreciate it.

Sandy

ericmurphy
02-22-2006, 05:09 PM
I've ridden Pro Races and GP 4000s. In my opinion, when it comes to traction, the Pro Races are bad on dry pavement and worse on wet pavement. I just switched to GP 4000s a few hundred miles ago, and so far I'm pretty happy with the traction in both wet and dry conditions. Usually tires seem a bit less sticky when they're brand new, but the 4000s seem to have pretty outstanding traction right out of the box. They seem to be as sticky as the Corsa Evo CXs I was running, but they're less expensive and seem a lot more puncture resistant.

Sandy
02-22-2006, 07:49 PM
For those of you that have ridden both, how do you compare the ride quality?

Thanks!

Sandy

Headwinds
02-22-2006, 09:40 PM
I have ridden both. There’s no comparison between them.... I think the Pro Race are hard and difficult to mount, especially on Mavic rims.

If you are looking for a really supple clincher ride, nothing beats a Veloflex or Gommitalia. They are not very good when it comes to puncture resistance and wear, one reason I went back to Contis.

I am curious, why are you going to get 700x25s instead of 23s?

manet
02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
http://www.vredesteinusa.com/

fiamme red
02-22-2006, 10:00 PM
I am curious, why are you going to get 700x25s instead of 23s?Comfort?

manet
02-22-2006, 10:07 PM
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=23&word2=25

Sandy
02-22-2006, 10:50 PM
I have ridden both. There’s no comparison between them.... I think the Pro Race are hard and difficult to mount, especially on Mavic rims.

If you are looking for a really supple clincher ride, nothing beats a Veloflex or Gommitalia. They are not very good when it comes to puncture resistance and wear, one reason I went back to Contis.

I am curious, why are you going to get 700x25s instead of 23s?

I am looking at 700x25 tires for several reasons;

1. From my understanding, 700X25 tires are not slower than 700X23, which is contrary to what people think. Actually, less rolling resistance, I think.

2. More comfortable ride

3. Better handling ( I think) More secure, planted feeling.

4. Less chance of pinch flats

What are the advantages of 700X23 tires? I think very little. Less air resistance as a function of a smaller exposed frontal surface. In addition, the air resistance of tires is very small relative to the air resistance of the cyclist, especially the recreational cyclist.

What are other advantages of the smaller tires?

Sandy

Sandy
02-22-2006, 11:02 PM
http://www.vredesteinusa.com/

A lot of cyclists really like Vredestein tires. I tried the Vredestein Forteeza TriComp tire (if that is the precise name). A very nice supple ride, with seemingly very low rolling resistance. Very reasonable tire life. However, I will never use them again. I think the quality control is, or least was, very poor. I was given credit by my lbs for two tires as they were not round. I had a very high number of flats, with no real indication of why.

Sandy

Sandy
02-22-2006, 11:07 PM
I have used the Veloflex Pave tires. But they are 700X22 and are very thin. They cut and puncture much more often than other excellent clinchers. I have concluded that it isn't worth it to take a chance on tires that are much more likely to cut and/or flat than others on the market. The Pave tires give a very supple, comfortable, ride with low rolling resistance, but that is not sufficient to me any longer.

Sandy

weiwentg
02-23-2006, 06:51 AM

huh? I found Pro Races very easy to mount on my old set of Mavic Opens. I also found them to be a faster than the GP3000s I tried, and they certainly had good traction.

Rover-Rich
02-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Sandy, to answer your question directly, I have ridden both tires. I like the Pro race 2's more than the GP4000. They are more supple and give you a silky smooth ride. THe GP4000 are very good, but if the ride characteristic is what you are looking for, then the pro race2 win in my book.

I know there where some other posts in regards to wet/dry traction, and I can't comment about this specific topic directly. As far as mounting, yes the pro race 2 are more difficult to mount, but, so what? Finally, you can find them on ebay for cheap, I got a PAIR for around $60. Hope this helps. :beer:

Headwinds
02-23-2006, 11:47 AM
What are other advantages of the smaller tires?

Kevan uses smaller tires (and a small stem) he said his bike is smaller than yours and he beats you all the time you guys ride together....

Want to know more?

Cheers

R.

bfd
02-23-2006, 01:52 PM
sandy states
<I am looking at 700x25 tires for several reasons>

<1. From my understanding, 700X25 tires are not slower than 700X23, which is contrary to what people think. Actually, less rolling resistance, I think.>

I use Avocet Fasgrip 700x25 tires and have not found them to be "slower" than 23s. Further, its been proven that 25s have *LESS* rolling resistance:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/rolling-resistance-tubular.html

<2. More comfortable ride>

Yup, wider tires = more air volume = more comfort. I pump my tires up to 100-110psi and glide over bumps!

<3. Better handling ( I think) More secure, planted feeling.>

Wider tire = more secured handling feeling.

<4. Less chance of pinch flats>

Never got pinch flats with 23s or 25s. Now 700x18 or 20 is a different story. Need to pump those up to 120-130+psi to keep from pinch flatting.

<What are the advantages of 700X23 tires? I think very little. Less air resistance as a function of a smaller exposed frontal surface. In addition, the air resistance of tires is very small relative to the air resistance of the cyclist, especially the recreational cyclist.

What are other advantages of the smaller tires?>

One "advantage" of 700x23 or smaller tires is lighter weight. Avocet Fasgrips weigh in around 230-240g. In comparison, some 23s now weigh like 180-190g.

Further, 23mm and small tires are a bit more aero. However, if you're bouncing around over bumps and stuff, probably not much of a difference.

Get the 25s, pump them up to 100-110psi and ride!

Kevan
02-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Kevan uses smaller tires (and a small stem) he said his bike is smaller than yours and he beats you all the time you guys ride together....

Want to know more?

Cheers

R.

Headwinds is a trouble maker. Kevan likes Headwinds. Yes, even with his small tires and short stem. TTFN

spokehead
05-09-2006, 12:24 PM
probikekit.com has GP 4000's now for $31, no tax, no shipping. Seems almost suspiciously cheap. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with them?

LegendRider
05-09-2006, 12:29 PM
probikekit.com has GP 4000's now for $31, no tax, no shipping. Seems almost suspiciously cheap. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with them?

I bought 4 GP4000s from probikekit.com - no problems with them or the tires. Arrived in 1 week.

cydewaze
05-09-2006, 12:46 PM
I bought 4 GP4000s from probikekit.com
Me too, and a week here also. Mine are sitting on my kitchen table - they're spares. I like to have tires on-hand before I need them. ;)

BigDaddySmooth
05-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I bought 4 GP4000s from probikekit.com - no problems with them or the tires. Arrived in 1 week.

Concur...I ordered 4 Veloflex tubbies from them and shipment took about 6 days. No shipping $$$ across the pond and about $20/tyre less than I could find stateside.

Keith A
05-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Fantastic, just picked up two sets of ProRace 2's for only $26 each with NO shipping to USA :banana:

cydewaze
05-09-2006, 11:40 PM
I use Avocet Fasgrip 700x25 tires and have not found them to be "slower" than 23s. Further, its been proven that 25s have *LESS* rolling resistance:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/rolling-resistance-tubular.html

Thanks for that, btw. I used Avocet road tires ages ago, and they were incredible. But then I couldn't find them locally anymore, and moved on. It's been so long I'd forgotten about them, but now I'll have to order a pair from Mr Brown.