PDA

View Full Version : Never did like using safety pins

Veloo
06-11-2014, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ZrpPkFF3c

kramnnim
06-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Cool, now I have another use for these magnets I have stuck to my fridge. http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Magnets-inch-Disc-N48/dp/B001KV38ES

lemondvictoire
06-11-2014, 09:36 PM
My riding buddy always uses the same Jersey on centuries and leaves the same safety pins on the jersey ready and just swaps the numbers out.....Also he has the rider number folded down to make it smaller & easier to attach ............I don't see any holes yet........:eek:

Veloo
06-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Yeah, it's a bit exaggerated IMO. Don't like the pins but I never put any holes in my jerseys.

dekindy
06-12-2014, 01:01 AM
I purchased some magnets a few years ago to try and rig this very concept. Could not keep them from bunching up. I thought maybe an expandable frame of some kind might keep them from bunching and also make them versatile for different sizes. Wonder if these will work better or bunch up for smaller number tags? My application was for recreational number tags only which I believe are smaller than competition tags. Definitely like the concept as I hate pins.

kramnnim
06-12-2014, 05:52 AM
I purchased some magnets a few years ago to try and rig this very concept. Could not keep them from bunching up. I thought maybe an expandable frame of some kind might keep them from bunching and also make them versatile for different sizes. Wonder if these will work better or bunch up for smaller number tags? My application was for recreational number tags only which I believe are smaller than competition tags. Definitely like the concept as I hate pins.

I also wondered about the bunching up, maybe the garment has to be fairly snug to the body for them to work.

bewheels
06-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Looks like they are controlling any bunching issues with the shape of the setup, they interlock. Provided the magnets are strong enough this should keep things in place.
I think it is a cool idea. Not that holes are a big issue as I have old race jerseys that have seen many a pin without showing any holes. But they are a pain in the butt.

dekindy
06-12-2014, 07:50 AM
Looks like they are controlling any bunching issues with the shape of the setup, they interlock. Provided the magnets are strong enough this should keep things in place.
I think it is a cool idea. Not that holes are a big issue as I have old race jerseys that have seen many a pin without showing any holes. But they are a pain in the butt.

So the interlocking design shields the magnetic field to prevent attraction of nearby magnets? I contacted race dots last night about the bunching issue and will update after they reply.

On the race dots instructional video they address bunching on a cycling jersey. They show installing the tag and magnets before putting on the jersey and VERY CAREFULLY putting it on to prevent bunching and also indicating it may take some practice.

On the video they show repositioning race dots that have already been installed to clothing by using the outside magnet to slide both magnets across clothing.

ptourkin
06-12-2014, 08:22 AM
I did this Kickstarter and just got my dots. They recommend that you bring a hole punch to the race and punch through the number. Friends have had varying success with them.

shovelhd
06-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Pins are still required at each corner by USAC rule.

malcolm
06-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Too heavy!! (joking)

dekindy
06-12-2014, 09:07 AM

Not according to racedots except for the caveat at the bottom; from their webpage.

USA Cycling requires four pins on each race number, don’t they?

Actually, no. That is no longer the case. The current USAC rule with regard to race numbers is:

1J7. Racing numbers.

(b) Riders shall place their numbers as prescribed by the Race Director or officials and in such a way that they are visible when the rider is in a racing position. When shoulder numbers are provided for cyclo-cross, they are worn on the upper arm to be visible from the front. Hip numbers shall be attached securely at least at the four corners and no accessory or hair may obstruct a clear view of the number. If shoulder or frame numbers are provided, they too shall be placed as prescribed. Numbers may not be folded, trimmed, or otherwise defaced.

Furthermore, we have been in talks with USAC and have sent samples to UCI to ensure that RaceDots are approved for use in competition. One caveat: USA Cycling local associations may impose additional rules, so you must ensure that you know the rules for your region.

nebraskacycling
06-12-2014, 09:14 AM

3 pins usually does the job for me until I get yelled at by the officials.

I got some of the new dots from the kickstarter. They bunch up and stick together after the race and they also take longer to install than pins. Maybe it is my lack of coordination or the fact that I feel like I need a third hand that makes them challenging to install. I will give them a few more tests before they go to the fridge.

carpediemracing
06-12-2014, 09:32 AM

Someone called me on my advice to racers because I said the same thing. Ends up I was mistaken.

For 2014 the rules state only that the number has to be secured at all four corners. It no longer specifies pins. I think this is in response to the magnets.

I still think pins are the best, most reliable, least stressful way of attaching a number. Only one person needed (unlike spray adhesive), very predictable how it'll turn out, and if you use more than 4 pins it's extremely secure.

Mark McM
06-12-2014, 10:42 AM
My riding buddy always uses the same Jersey on centuries and leaves the same safety pins on the jersey ready and just swaps the numbers out.....Also he has the rider number folded down to make it smaller & easier to attach ............I don't see any holes yet........:eek:

You wear numbers for century rides?

lemondvictoire
06-12-2014, 11:42 AM

Centuries , Double Centuries , Death Ride, Climb to Kaiser, ++++++++++++:eek:

Mark McM
06-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Centuries , Double Centuries , Death Ride, Climb to Kaiser, ++++++++++++:eek:

Where is this? I've done a number of organized centuries and brevets, and never been asked to wear a number. Numbers have only been required for races.

gavingould
06-12-2014, 12:27 PM
spray adhesive and a car window reflection for placement if you don't have a buddy nearby.

lemondvictoire
06-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Where is this? I've done a number of organized centuries and brevets, and never been asked to wear a number. Numbers have only been required for races.

In the USA! Large Centuries and Cycling events track riders with rider numbers..... riders go off course, riders behaving badly get reported, rider SAG...Maybe you were told to wear one instead of asked!!!!!!!!!!:bike:

bewheels
06-13-2014, 05:51 AM
So the interlocking design shields the magnetic field to prevent attraction of nearby magnets?

Ahhh - so the bunching because of the magnets interacting with each other. I was assuming it was because they were moving around on the jersey do to body position/movement.

ptourkin
06-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Some of their more recent instructions, sent via email:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/racedots#activity

Get flat: RaceDots are very easy to apply to the front of a shirt that you're wearing, but, for a cycling jersey where the race number goes on the back, it's a bit trickier. If you apply your race number before you put the jersey on, be sure to keep the jersey flat so the RaceDots do not stick to each other. (We will make instructions available for using RaceDots with a skinsuit, which may require a helper.)

Use the holes: If your race number comes with holes punched in the four corners, use them! Placing your RaceDots on the holes of a race number will really lock everything in place. (For bike races we bring a hole punch and use at least 5 RaceDots.)

(maybe not so great for velodrome racing with numbers on the side)

pavel
06-13-2014, 03:47 PM
here's what a fellow track racer had to say:

The race dots are fun but I wouldn't recommend them. They are hard to position right and easy to lose. I already lost half of one dot.

ptourkin
07-02-2014, 10:34 AM
I finally got to use them on a long day in the Sierras and they worked fine with a rear number. I still wouldn't recommend them for track or any other event where you need the number on the side but with a large flattish surface, they worked well and didn't bunch. My race number had holes punched in the corners and I assume this was what made the dots successful.

fiataccompli
07-02-2014, 12:39 PM
I've thought about this concept for a long time, but it seems like to get it 'right' it takes as much fiddling as pinning on numbers...Also, though it may be stupid to do so, I usually use 7 pins per number, and it looks like they sell these in denominations of 5...probably more of an indication of my own dumb habits than the 'market' demand (I just don't like having a paper flapping around or parachuting at my side)

RAS72
07-02-2014, 02:14 PM
I think that's a great alternative to the weekend athlete.

carpediemracing
07-02-2014, 08:08 PM
My number from 3 races ago:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OPvOgLszTh0/U7SqNQjKBlI/AAAAAAAAGxA/B5_CfLkkfRM/s800/DSC_0166.JPG

I start at the bottom left corner, work along the bottom edge, then the middle, then the top. It takes me a couple minutes tops, even if my fingers are numb from cold. I don't need help, I can skip pins if I'm especially late. I haven't tried the magnets but I did use the 3M spray for 5-7 years and for one year at Bethel we had adhesive numbers (at $2? each they were a bit much; the other numbers are 30 cents or so).

Those are all my pins that I brought to the race. When I dumped out my little box of "good pins that I've already used" I realized I have 30 or 40 pins in there. I think I used 15 pins Tuesday night (and got shelled there too).

To be fair I have the same race number for every Tuesday so I pin the number on at home since we get there 10-15 minutes before the race starts.

Also, to be doubly fair, I buy pins in fairly large quantities for the races I promote (last order was 20 boxes? 28k pins). Therefore it's not a big deal for me to stick a box of 1440 pins in the car or my bag. It becomes helpful for the promoter he they start running out of pins (I also carry extra rolls of toilet paper for the same reason, in case a promoter forgot to bring theirs). This means I usually have a lot of pins around.

When the pins I'm using start getting rusty/dull I toss them in the recycling bin.

rustychisel
07-02-2014, 11:41 PM
"Damn it. I drove across two states to get to this ride and left my race dots at home. Anyone got any pins?"

Jad
10-21-2022, 09:21 AM
Old thread check-in for race dots. I just bought a set, so I'll add my two cents when I get a good sense of the magnets.

Safety pins work well (5 at most, usually just 4), and I have soooo many from all the CX races, but I've just started wearing new kit that's more susceptible to pin holes. On my old Voler jerseys, etc, no problem, but on lighter, sheerer stuff, I don't want the pins!

Nomadmax
10-21-2022, 09:51 AM
I wonder if they'll interfere with a HRM strap signal???

RobbieTunes
10-21-2022, 09:54 AM
At the American Criterium Cup championships, I approached a downed rider, one of several in the pile. She had two numbers pinned on. Unfortunately, the crash undid some safety pins, and they were embedded in her back. As I removed them, she didn’t even flinch; had other problems.

Made me wonder.

C40_guy
10-21-2022, 10:07 AM
I've used RaceDots for years when running (races). No issues with HRM interference, and if you lay the jersey flat before installing, bunching isn't a major issue. It takes a bit of practice, but I would not go back to safety pins.

RobbieTunes
10-21-2022, 11:47 AM

Many rides have them.

kppolich
10-21-2022, 11:51 AM
I sewed magnets into my cloth race number for last years CX season here. Still super hard to get a friend to put the other magnets inside the back of a full skin suit.

No Point is still the best option for race numbers
https://nopinz.com/product-tag/nopinz-speedpockets/

RobbieTunes
10-21-2022, 11:52 AM

Storming of Thunder Ridge
Triple Bypass
Ride Acriss Wisconsin
Ride Across Indiana
Big Dam Bridge 100
Hotter’n Hell Hundred
some Team in Training rides.

In my experience, maybe 1/4 to 1/3.
My gal has over 100 centuries done, probably has 30 numbers saved.

Tz779
10-21-2022, 11:54 AM
Almost ten years later and the pros are still pinning numbers on.

C40_guy
10-21-2022, 11:58 AM
Still super hard to get a friend to put the other magnets inside the back of a full skin suit.

It's a good test of a relationship, and a fun task on a Saturday night after a couple of glasses of malbec. Just sayin'

:)

gavingould
10-21-2022, 07:58 PM
back when I was racing cross, I’d put on my ski suit and use a 3M spray adhesive to slap my number on in the correct position.
then unzip, pull the top half down, pin the corners.

TNR tape seems to be a fairly popular solution now - https://tnr-tape.com/

kppolich
10-21-2022, 08:10 PM
Yep, have TNR tape as well. Super good stuff but the real solution for cyclocross seasons are to have the number on the same side all year if possible. That way, you can pin it in, tape it on, whatever and leave it on all year.

Jad
10-21-2022, 08:13 PM
... Unfortunately, the crash undid some safety pins, and they were embedded in her back. ...

Ouch--this is a hazard I'm happy to have avoided so far. Some of the pins are so flimsy that I could see them crumpling and coming undone in a tumble.

Jad
10-21-2022, 08:24 PM
Yep, have TNR tape as well. Super good stuff but the real solution for cyclocross seasons are to have the number on the same side all year if possible. That way, you can pin it in, tape it on, whatever and leave it on all year.

It would be funny to start a petition to have all race directors set timing on the same side. "For the sake of the jerseys"...

Louis
10-21-2022, 08:28 PM

Plus you have a built-in excuse for not washing it for a whole season. :eek: