PDA

View Full Version : Time to replace Giro Ionos

dekindy
06-11-2014, 09:23 PM
It is time to replace my Giro Ionos. I was wondering what models folks had replaced their Ionos with that fit like the Ionos and still provide great ventilation. The Ionos was noticeably cooler for me than the Bell Sweep.

Has anyone replaced their Ionos with a Bontrager Circuit?

93legendti
06-11-2014, 09:34 PM
I replaced mine with an LG exo-nerv

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1086627_-1_400146__400146

More comfortable and much easier to adjust in the fly. Cheaper too.

sw3759
06-11-2014, 10:25 PM
cant go wrong with the Giro Aeon if you like the Ionos you'll love the Aeon
light cool fits great whats not to like.looks way better than the POC at least,imo

gavingould
06-11-2014, 10:26 PM
I've been using the Giro Atmos. Next up might be an Aeon

dekindy
06-12-2014, 12:19 AM

I think I have seen references to the Atmos and Ionos fitting the same. Do you know for certain?

pdmtong
06-12-2014, 03:02 AM
light cool fits great whats not to like.looks way better than the POC at least,imo

I find the ionos is noticeably cooler than my atmos and the aeon is noticeably lighter than the ionos.

aeon all the way if budget allows. same size and fit for all three for me

soulspinner
06-12-2014, 03:56 AM
I replaced mine with an LG exo-nerv

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1086627_-1_400146__400146

More comfortable and much easier to adjust in the fly. Cheaper too.

I bought one of these on close out and was pleasantly surprised I liked it better than my hi end Bell...........

Mikej
06-12-2014, 10:09 AM
I have an aeon but prefer my sons atmos, cheaper too.

Lewis Moon
06-12-2014, 10:25 AM

They fit very differently. The Ionos is a good bit more egg shaped than the Aeon.

SoCalSteve
06-12-2014, 10:48 AM
I have an aeon but prefer my sons atmos, cheaper too.

I hated the fit of the Ionis (never tried the Aeon), but love the Atmos...my "go-to" helmet for many, many years now.

Elefantino
06-12-2014, 10:49 AM
I hated the fit of the Ionis (never tried the Aeon), but love the Atmos...my "go-to" helmet for many, many years now.
How many saddles have you swapped out in the time you've been using the Atmos? ;)

SoCalSteve
06-12-2014, 11:48 AM
How many saddles have you swapped out in the time you've been using the Atmos? ;)

I'm sure you won't believe me, but for the last 3 years or so, I have been using the same saddle...Selle Italia Max Gel Flow....I have the super light racing version of this as well...the SLR Superflow, but haven't tried it out yet...:banana:

GRAVELBIKE
06-12-2014, 11:55 AM
I wore Giro helmets exclusively for 6-7 years, but recently switched to a Louis Garneau Course. Couldn't be happier. Ended up crashing (http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=3211) (and replacing) my first one, and it definitely did its job.

http://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/05-04-2014-300x175.jpg

Lewis Moon
06-12-2014, 12:09 PM
I've got a head like a hatchet, ie: egg shaped with a prominant forehead, so it's hard to fit me. I was REALLY pissed when Giro changed their shape.

572cv
06-12-2014, 02:51 PM
I replaced mine with a Scott Lin.Maybe I'm the only guy on this forum who even considered this helmet, let alone buy it. It turns out to be about as light, and fits really, really well. It's a mips helmet, btw. I like it.

Hank Scorpio
06-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Where did you find the Scott? I was looking to buy one too.

Oops I meant the Vanish.

sw3759
06-12-2014, 04:25 PM
"They fit very differently. The Ionos is a good bit more egg shaped than the Aeon. "

interesting point Lewis, i wasnt aware they changed the fit of their helmets..i know the Aeon fits much better then the Ionos for me,i wasnt sure exactly why.i had to throw the Ionos out after a crash last fall.just assumed a new and improved product,at least thats the case for me.

572cv
06-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Where did you find the Scott? I was looking to buy one too.

Oops I meant the Vanish.

Well, I was about to see if a local dealer could order, but then saw it advertised here on the paceline :) . It was the wrong size for the seller, right size for me. One of those meant-to-be situations. On the Scott website, they help you find local dealers, and I think you can order what you want. Mine was effectively new, and the presentation in the box, with the bag it comes in, was really good. It is a thoughtful product, which is appropriate since it protects the brain.

good luck!

Hank Scorpio
06-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Well, I was about to see if a local dealer could order, but then saw it advertised here on the paceline :) . It was the wrong size for the seller, right size for me. One of those meant-to-be situations. On the Scott website, they help you find local dealers, and I think you can order what you want. Mine was effectively new, and the presentation in the box, with the bag it comes in, was really good. It is a thoughtful product, which is appropriate since it protects the brain.

good luck!

Thanks I wound up buying an Atmos but I see now someone has the vanish advertised on eBay now. Maybe I could use another helmet right?

93legendti
06-12-2014, 09:36 PM
I bought one of these on close out and was pleasantly surprised I liked it better than my hi end Bell...........

When I worked at performance, every person that tried that helmet on, except one, bought it. Great price. Great helmet.

Ozrider
06-13-2014, 02:34 AM
Try the new Bontrager Velocis, it is lighter and more comfortable than the Circuit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Splash
06-13-2014, 03:21 AM
i too am in the market for a new lid.

your best thoughts on : Bontrager Velocis vs giro aeon vs LG Course?

splash

Hank Scorpio
06-13-2014, 08:23 AM
LG Course?

The Course fits very shallow on the head. I also had both adjusting sliders on the ear straps break within a month of purchase and LG warranty support was non existent. I replaced them with a set of sliders from a crashed giro I had. I do like the integrated tail light.

dekindy
06-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Decided to go with Specialized Prevail. Tried on the Catlike Mixino and was impressed. However it took forever to adjust the thing. The Prevail was adjusted in less than a minute. Select the retention height and adjust the chin strap length and you are done, Baby! I almost overlooked the Prevail due to lack of strap buckles and adjustability and other adjustments. Specialized keeps it simple yet it seems to be more functional at the same time.Straps do not touch my ears, very comfortable fit and light weight, and I like the fact that my forehead will be ventilated. Give a report after I ride it tomorrow.