PDA

View Full Version : Short rides can be nice!

Steve in SLO
06-11-2014, 07:22 PM
The past several days I have played a lot of tennis with both A level players and a local pro, and found myself without time or energy for a long bike ride. Each day, I took a short bike ride either to warm up, or just to get out afterwards with no particular goal in mind. The rides were between 12 and 14 miles, and my heart rate was probably in the 100-130 range at most. It felt good just spinning along and enjoying the time on the bike. Normally I would have discounted the thought of changing into bike clothes and going for a 45 minute ride, but each of these rides was really nice, and changed my perception of what short ride can be.
Just thought I would pass it along.:beer:

shovelhd
06-11-2014, 07:32 PM
I do a lot of short intensity and racing, so my recovery days are just like you described. 45-60 minutes, low speed, low effort, smell the roses kinda stuff. They are quite enjoyable.

endosch2
06-11-2014, 07:53 PM
My most common ride is a hilly 13 mile ride that i can sometimes get in right before or after dinner, I really like it. I dont beat myself up for only getting out for thta little distance. If you get a few of those a week it does make a difference.

ik2280
06-11-2014, 07:58 PM
I love short, leisurely rides. Did 545 miles last week (trip from SF to LA), will just be cruising around this week, then a long ride this weekend. It feels good to just ride around, smell the flowers, and so on.

Ken Robb
06-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Grant Petersen wrote a nice piece where he said when we just don't feel like riding we should go out for 15 minutes (or so) but no more. Even when by then we will probably be feeling great and want to keep going. By cutting it off then we will REALLY feel like riding the next day.

I like having at least one bike that I can ride in regular clothing and shoes for several reasons but one is that if I can just pull out that bike and head out with no special preparations I will do a short ride on days when I'm not REALLY in the mood. Sometimes I do 30-35 miles in these regular clothes because it's so much fun. :banana:

stephenmarklay
06-11-2014, 09:34 PM
I just got a beater MTB just to ride with the kids and practice wheelies :banana: 45 years old and getting younger every day.

I don't get nearly enough time to ride so a lot of my rides are intervals on local hills to get in some kind of condition. So its really nice to just mess around and not feel obligated push harder.

mike p
06-11-2014, 09:55 PM
I only do one long ride a week ( 3-6 hrs) the rest of my rides are all one or two hrs long.

Mike

soulspinner
06-12-2014, 04:06 AM
The wireless Cateye I have wont work cause the AC button is stuck. Riding without a computer spinning down the road for an hour last night was cool.

Bob Ross
06-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Geez, I sure hope so, because short rides is all I've managed to squeeze in this week...

sparky33
06-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Grant Petersen wrote a nice piece where he said when we just don't feel like riding we should go out for 15 minutes (or so) but no more.

I like having at least one bike that I can ride in regular clothing and shoes for several reasons but one is that if I can just pull out that bike and head out with no special preparations

I ride down to the pond most evenings after I put the wee kids to bed. This 2 miler is a terrific cap on the day. This time of year I see some excellent sunsets.

malcolm
06-12-2014, 08:29 AM
I just got a beater MTB just to ride with the kids and practice wheelies :banana: 45 years old and getting younger every day.

I don't get nearly enough time to ride so a lot of my rides are intervals on local hills to get in some kind of condition. So its really nice to just mess around and not feel obligated push harder.

Be careful with those wheelies. My kids are still laughing over my landing on my back from over doing one. Amazing how much more it hurts at 50+ than at 15

Ahneida Ride
06-12-2014, 09:25 AM
My most common ride is a hilly 13 mile ride that i can sometimes get in right before or after dinner, I really like it. I dont beat myself up for only getting out for thta little distance. If you get a few of those a week it does make a difference.

I do a hilly 7.

malbecman
06-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Any bike ride is good! :bike: