PDA

View Full Version : Bar tape

Dead Man
06-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Howdy

I ditched cork and went to a Fizik Superlight bar tape on two of my bikes recently. I wanted to reduce grip diameter for my puny hands, and for color match. It's great for both of these... mission accomplished.

Unintended consequence: they're slick as crap when sweaty... like oily, almost. It's ridiculous. I've had to go to gloves since it's warmed up, and I hate wearing gloves. Especially when it's warm.

What are the grippiest/highest regarded grippy bar tapes that are NOT 3mm thick? I've looked at Fizik's "tacky" tape, and it's super thick.. Lizard Skin also looks really thick, but I haven't had a chance to molest it personally.

Arundel's Gecko Grip claims it's thinner than cork and is grippy.. who's used it? Is it die antwoord? The "Fur" sounds perfect- but only comes in black. Need white for my main bike

What about cotton?? Super low profile, grippy... my conundrum with cotton is that un-shellacked, it absorbs water/sweat... and shellacked, it loses some grippiness and looks like crap (if you wanted white/non-orange bars). Has anyone ever tried polyurethane for non-yellowing finish on cotton? Would it be too slick again?

I've never done real leather for bar tape. I suspect it would still be slicker than cork when sweaty, but probably not nearly as slick as MicroTex? Are there any leathers that are less slick? I don't really want to drop $90/ea to retape my bikes... but if it's the best solution I might. Great look, slim, lasts a million years... but how's the grip?

Any other thoughts welcome

Thanks

-B

AngryScientist
06-11-2014, 02:10 PM
this is the best off the shelf bar tape i've used, period.

http://www.zipp.com/accessories/service-course-cyclocross-handlebar-tape/

FlashUNC
06-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Using the 2mm Fizik stuff? I've never noticed the slickness when wet.

foon
06-11-2014, 02:23 PM

Me neither. They have a few different ones though, maybe he tried the shiny one?

I have used the Arundel tape. The adhesive in the back isn't the best, but does wrap nicely and the texture is great. Thickness is about the same as fizik. I think they have white actually.

I like cotton tape (shellaced or not) too, but unshellaced white tape is going to look like crap after half a ride.

feFIFO
06-11-2014, 02:30 PM

Testify. Totally irrational how much I love this tape. On the other hand, I've got lizard skins on my single speed. Hate it. Can't wait for it to tear, disintegrate or burst into flames.

OtayBW
06-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Plain ole Cinelli Cork with a thin layer of hockey tape (black, of course) underneath. What I like best....

thirdgenbird
06-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Me either. I'm always gloveless too.

sandyrs
06-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Testify. Totally irrational how much I love this tape. On the other hand, I've got lizard skins on my single speed. Hate it. Can't wait for it to tear, disintegrate or burst into flames.

...why? I think 1.8mm lizard skins is my favorite bar tape.

Nooch
06-11-2014, 02:53 PM

damn, i love the LS, didn't love the zipp... I guess I just like the tape fat, though..

Hank Scorpio
06-11-2014, 03:06 PM
I didn't have much like with the velox guidoline. It fell apart within a week of riding. I decided to try the pro silicone tape. Feels a bit squishy and it looks like it might get slick with sweat or rain but it was pretty easy to wrap. So I have that going for me.

zap
06-11-2014, 03:09 PM
I ditched cinelli cork (did cinelli get fat and soft recently?) on the Crumpton for the Fizik Superlight tape and like it..not that slick on hot humid day's. I don't wear gloves either.

Dead Man
06-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Strange that so many of you have not experienced the hyper-slickness with this tape that I have suffered. I guess I just sweat butter. Before I succumbed to gloves, I actually found myself just putting a couple fingers on the tops to let the wind dry off my palms/drops before a sprint. I've had a couple scary slips.. combined with a big crash from what we theorize was a thrown chain (but could have just been slick breaking bars, for all I know!), I'm pretty sensitive right now.

Cotton is cheap... gues I'll try it next. If I can't stomach it, I'll try the Gecko

Ahneida Ride
06-11-2014, 04:17 PM
HB wrap is not slippery, even when wet.

It's actually liquid repellent.

regularguy412
06-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Yes. It's the S-word. For the past few seasons, I've been using Specialized Roubaix bar wrap. Is lightly padded. Has a nice texture for low slippage. Is not too thick. Worth a try.

Mike in AR:beer:

Ahneida Ride
06-11-2014, 04:22 PM
ck? I don't really want to drop $90/ea to retape my bikes... but if it's the best solution I might. Great look, slim, lasts a million years... but how's the grip?

-B

HB grip is phenomenal. Many stop using gloves.
One problem is that HB lasts toooo long.
I only get repeat orders for new bars.

Wrap HB over Hockey Tape ....

1centaur
06-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Deda rocks (a better version of Cinelli?), HB is awesome (and not slick at all - remember tennis rackets used to have leather tape before grip tape was invented), and I agree the Fizik Microtex was ridiculously slick.

jr59
06-11-2014, 05:05 PM
HB grip is phenomenal. Many stop using gloves.
One problem is that HB lasts toooo long.
I only get repeat orders for new bars.

Wrap HB over Hockey Tape ....

Correct and 100% right. It's REALLY GOOD STUFF and worth every penny

Frankwurst
06-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Another vote for Handlebra. I Rode it on a tour last summer. Sweat, rain yada yada, yada. Great stuff. Gloves or no gloves.:beer:

Uncle Jam's Army
06-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Fizik makes a tacky black or white bar tape in the Superlight or Performance series of tape. I personally use the thicker Performance tacky black and have never had any problems with my hands slipping in rain. Great tape.

yashcha
06-11-2014, 08:17 PM
These grips are not as thin as fizik, which was my last bar tape.

I like it a lot more because there is a bit more cushion, grippier when wet, and has a really nice feel to them, even without gloves. It has a bit of stretch, so it is very easy to wrap. It will not stay as clean as the fizik, but it is easy to clean with some wet wipes. It weighs about 67 grams, around the same as the fizik.

I think also the price is very good. I got mine at the IF factory shop in NH for $12.

rounder
06-11-2014, 08:52 PM
I don't wear gloves either.

I have handlebra on two bikes with tape under. It still looks like new and feels good. I have lizardskin on another bike with nothing under. It still feels good but the surface is peeling off in spots...not so bad that I want to get rid of it...but the handlebra seems to be more durable and looks better.

bargainguy
06-11-2014, 08:53 PM
I like this stuff. Plenty tacky, looks good, wears well so far.

gavingould
06-11-2014, 08:59 PM
a lot of people like Arundel. the Zipp stuff's good too.

personally i really liked Lizard Skins, especially the really thick stuff (they make 3 diff thicknesses) but i have the opposite - big hands.

right now i'm on some custom Zevlin Big 40 tape (http://www.embrocationmagazine.com/online/big-40-embro-wrap). so far i quite like it - about 500 miles so far on road and off, i don't wear gloves unless it's cold. no really wet rides yet either but i think it'll hold well.

feFIFO
06-11-2014, 09:26 PM
...why? I think 1.8mm lizard skins is my favorite bar tape.

Vive le difference, I suppose. In fairness, the LS isn't the worst I've ever had - that'd be the Deda faux carbon tape. I swear bars slathered in Crisco would've been grippier.

Louis
06-11-2014, 09:53 PM

Is this tapered at the edges, or does it have a constant cross-section?

Thanks.

Cat3roadracer
06-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Leave the junk on there and wrap over with Handlebra. You will not be disappointed.

R3awak3n
06-11-2014, 10:41 PM
I don't think I know what I like yet, I have some deda stuff which I really like, cushy and enough grip, have some fizik microtex, thin light and looks nice, have some other kind of fizik that is a little thicker but really confortable and also have some cork camo tape which I find very confortable.

Have no favorites yet. Do want to try lizard skin and that zipp tape that was posted on page 1.

Gummee
06-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Fizik makes a tacky black or white bar tape in the Superlight or Performance series of tape. I personally use the thicker Performance tacky black and have never had any problems with my hands slipping in rain. Great tape.

This

There's different finishes on the Superlight tape. Get the one that feels like suede.

If you can find it, the SRAM Super light tape is similar and works well too. I don't think they've made it in a while tho

M

charliedid
06-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Howdy

I ditched cork and went to a Fizik Superlight bar tape on two of my bikes recently. I wanted to reduce grip diameter for my puny hands, and for color match. It's great for both of these... mission accomplished.

Unintended consequence: they're slick as crap when sweaty... like oily, almost. It's ridiculous. I've had to go to gloves since it's warmed up, and I hate wearing gloves. Especially when it's warm.

What are the grippiest/highest regarded grippy bar tapes that are NOT 3mm thick? I've looked at Fizik's "tacky" tape, and it's super thick.. Lizard Skin also looks really thick, but I haven't had a chance to molest it personally.

Arundel's Gecko Grip claims it's thinner than cork and is grippy.. who's used it? Is it die antwoord? The "Fur" sounds perfect- but only comes in black. Need white for my main bike

What about cotton?? Super low profile, grippy... my conundrum with cotton is that un-shellacked, it absorbs water/sweat... and shellacked, it loses some grippiness and looks like crap (if you wanted white/non-orange bars). Has anyone ever tried polyurethane for non-yellowing finish on cotton? Would it be too slick again?

I've never done real leather for bar tape. I suspect it would still be slicker than cork when sweaty, but probably not nearly as slick as MicroTex? Are there any leathers that are less slick? I don't really want to drop $90/ea to retape my bikes... but if it's the best solution I might. Great look, slim, lasts a million years... but how's the grip?

Any other thoughts welcome

Thanks

-B

Try spraying it with a little Windex and wipe with damp rag.

blantonator
06-12-2014, 07:58 AM
Big fan of the Lizard Skinz 2.5 DSP.

Elefantino
06-12-2014, 08:11 AM
The grip on HandleBra is bar none the best, and that includes our excellent GripTec (and GripTec Pro) and Lizard Skins.

I have HB on both my bikes. One set (green with gold stitching) I've had for going on five (or is it six, Ray?) years and the other (gray with red) is new. You'd be hard pressed to see the age difference. Regular cleaning with 303® protectant keeps HB perfect. And I have re-wrapped the green tape several times.

If the overlords at corporate knew how often I showed my HB to customers, they would be peeved.

Just get it. It's that good.

:banana::banana::banana:

The author has not been compensated in any way for this endorsement.

Ahneida Ride
06-12-2014, 09:15 AM
The grip on HandleBra is bar none the best, and that includes our excellent GripTec (and GripTec Pro) and Lizard Skins.

I have HB on both my bikes. One set (green with gold stitching) I've had for going on five (or is it six, Ray?) years and the other (gray with red) is new. You'd be hard pressed to see the age difference. Regular cleaning with 303® protectant keeps HB perfect. And I have re-wrapped the green tape several times.

If the overlords at corporate knew how often I showed my HB to customers, they would be peeved.

Just get it. It's that good.

:banana::banana::banana:

The author has not been compensated in any way for this endorsement.

I can't make any frns with people re-wraping it on other bikes ! :eek: :p

Vinci
06-12-2014, 12:30 PM
For something thin, Velox will certainly work. It won't cushion at all, though. And it will stain quickly if you get something light-colored and don't shellac it.

I've used Microtex in the past and it's definitely thin, which I wasn't the biggest fan of (comfort-wise), but I also never had trouble with it being slick. I've used the "soft touch" variety, the plain Microtex, and the metallic-colored version that is a bit shinier. All of those variations seemed to be fine.

I have seen their glossy variety, though, and that stuff looked like it would get slick when wet.

My new favorite tape is Nashbar's softgrip. It has a nice texture, is soft, easy to wrap with, and cheap.

Elefantino
06-12-2014, 01:31 PM
I can't make any frns with people re-wraping it on other bikes ! :eek: :p
Same bike! Just changed brifters!

Dead Man
06-12-2014, 01:42 PM
This stuff isn't exactly "shiny" but I guess it does have somewhat of a sheen to it. I got it from a very limited selection on the rack at REI.. since they apparently make a thousand different kinds, it's quite possible I bought the one that was gonna be slick.

The other bike has silver, and it's definitely shiny.