PDA

View Full Version : interesting paint combo

eddief
02-19-2006, 06:24 PM
on this Match built Paramount from the ibob list.

A clean look ya don't see too often.

Decent price too on a bike with a custom Goodrich built fork in a size 58.

http://rorysplace.sts.winisp.net/Paramount/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=1&Source=http%3A%2F%2Frorysplace%2Ests%2Ewinisp%2Ene t%2FParamount%2FForms%2FAllItems%2Easpx&RootFolder=%2FParamount

amg
02-20-2006, 02:37 AM
Eddie,

Ok, I'm a total spazz sometimes, how do I get on the iBob list and contact this seller? I've been looking for this frame for some time.

Thanks,

Antonio

Elmer
02-20-2006, 07:08 AM
.....blob at the seat cluster where the top tube meets the lug???
Edit: Is that the head tube badge just a smaller version?

eddief
02-20-2006, 07:56 AM
http://search.bikelist.org/query.asp?SearchString=&FMMod=-1d&FMModDate=&SortBy=MsgDate%5Ba%5D&Scope=rbw&RecordsPerPage=250

dbrk
02-20-2006, 07:56 AM
I had one of these beautiful steel match bicycle company built "Paramounts". A coupla' things to note, if you've not already noted them: the seat binder bold runs through the stays in a recessed fashion. It's really nifty, clean, and usual, though you'd not like to overtighten it. The cable guides underneath the bb are an interesting lot: some are finished, some are not, depending on I'm not sure what. The unfinished ones have no screws for plastic guides and they were supposed to have some sort of neat custom doohickey, as I recall (Curt will know, SH might all know). Mine didn't have any guides so I just ran the cables against the bb it worked fine though it would have rubbed off the paint in due time or you'd need to put on a sleeve of some sort. Last, the design of these bikes had a really dumb high bb (6.5cm) and as much as I liked the ride over all, you really can can when a bike like this if you routinely ride an 8 drop: like riding on stilts, as Grant once put it (but not about the Paramount per se). The lugs were fantastically beautiful for their simplicity and you can see them on the old 2000 Rivendell lug calender photo, which I will try to reproduce here if I remember.

dbrk

pdxmech13
02-20-2006, 09:36 AM
I had one in blue with the traditional steel fork. I also had the unfinished bb that dbrk had mentioned. To relieve the wear I just slipped little plastic tubes over the cables at that spot. I foud that my two frames were out of alignment gut that was easily remedied. Great riding bike and very well understated for its time. I really thought schwinn did something cool and unique and wish we could see other manufacturers go out on a limb and make cool fun bikes.

Fyi sold mine just a while ago for 500 with ck and salsa tig stem.

Steve Hampsten
02-20-2006, 01:16 PM
That's the first Paramount I've seen with a curved fork and a flat crown - it only looks about a hundred times better than the forks I built at match with Everest crowns and straight blades. The curves at the front gracefully echo (can I say that?) the swoopy stays at the back for a much more cohesive look. (That Curt knows how to correctly rake a fork goes without saying, but still - it's suprising how many ugly curved forks are out there.)

Other than the goofy geometry I felt the heavy/oversized 853 tubing was overkill for any frame but it may work better in sizes larger than what I rode - like this frame for instance.

The seat binders were a story unto themselves; sharp-eyed viewers will soon see the same binder on a red frame that may or may not show up on this forum in the near future.