PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good source for "bulk" purchases of inner tubes?

SlackMan
06-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Anyone know a good source for "bulk" purchases of inner tubes that are a good value? It looks like they have some 10 packs across the pond in the UK, but shipping charges negate part of the savings. Niagra Cycles has boxes of 50 (!), which is probably too many.

shovelhd
06-11-2014, 11:41 AM
You don't say what type. Wheel World in CA sells Giant tubes in bulk at a good price. However, this is a perfect opportunity to negotiate with your LBS if you are not in a hurry. Tubes are high margin items, and if he piggybacks the order to get free shipping from his distributor, you should be able to get a good price as well as develop a relationship.

donevwil
06-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Unless I find a special deal or sale (Chainlove, Amazon, etc) Nashbar always has the best prices on tubes. If your on their mailing list they often have a 10-20% off day with an occasional 30% off day and if you purchase four tubes it's an additional 10%. The 50 tube bulk deals I've seen are about the same $$ per tube.

SlackMan
06-11-2014, 12:01 PM
You don't say what type. Wheel World in CA sells Giant tubes in bulk at a good price. However, this is a perfect opportunity to negotiate with your LBS if you are not in a hurry. Tubes are high margin items, and if he piggybacks the order to get free shipping from his distributor, you should be able to get a good price as well as develop a relationship.

At the risk of derailing my thread, I truly long for a good LBS, but don't have one. My last (and final) encounter with them was when I transferred components from one bike to another. I took the bike in to have them install new cables and housings, adjust everything, and be sure torques were correct. I could have done a reasonable job on that myself, but I wanted to establish a relationship with them and just be sure everything was dialed in.

The front brake caliper, an older Ultegra 6403 one, came back with one of the arms flopping forward and backward. I took the bike back and then had a five minute argument with the "mechanic" as he explained to me that there were these "tiny springs" inside of the caliper that go bad, and the caliper just needed to be replaced. I insisted repeatedly that there were no tiny springs in that generation of caliper, and also pointed out that I would really like my group to match. No, he insisted, there are tiny springs and they are bad, so the caliper is junk. I went home, pulled the caliper off, adjusted it within 5 minutes, and it worked perfectly. Thus was the end of my desiring a relationship with my LBS. In the relatively small town where I live, the other shops are actually worse than the one I just described.

Nooch
06-11-2014, 12:24 PM
I don't think you're getting much better then ebikestop.com (which, i believe, is just a qbp reseller that makes 4% off their sales, as a lot of stuff is listed at 36% off)

$3.95 for 700x18-23 48mm presta (http://www.ebikestop.com/q_tubes_700c_x_18_23mm_48mm_presta_valve_tube_101g-TU6874.php)
$4.45 for 700x23-25 60mm presta (http://www.ebikestop.com/q_tubes_700c_x_18_23mm_60mm_presta_valve_tube_101g-TU6875.php)

CaptStash
06-11-2014, 12:32 PM
I've been running CST tires from these guys NiceBikeTires (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281247497960)for years. Good stuff, not flashy but work just fine. $50 for twenty tubes seems like a reasonable price to me.

CaptStash....

Idris Icabod
06-11-2014, 12:32 PM
I load up from pricepoint when they have a sale.

Vinci
06-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Nashbar has been the cheapest for me. Well under $4 each last time for long-stem road tubes.

I used to do bulk orders for the bike group from BikeTiresDirect, which got the per-tube price down around $4/ea. in big orders.

weisan
06-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Pricepoint

shovelhd
06-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Some of those places won't tell you if the tube is threaded or smooth sided. That's a problem.

pdmtong
06-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Some of those places won't tell you if the tube is threaded or smooth sided. That's a problem.

I don't care for the chainlove tubes. While the valves are smooth the seams are so high they prevent a patch from adhering. Patching is cheaper than a new tube and I will always patch a tube once (if I can) before discarding

SlackMan
06-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have some good options.

pdmtong, I patch tubes too, but I always want a new tube for my spare because I don't want to find out on the road that my patched tube doesn't hold air after being rolled up in my seat bag.

tiretrax
06-11-2014, 05:19 PM
I don't care for the chainlove tubes. While the valves are smooth the seams are so high they prevent a patch from adhering. Patching is cheaper than a new tube and I will always patch a tube once (if I can) before discarding

I'll vouch for SlackMan that he lives in a small town that lacks a good lbs. It is the place to go, however, to get accessories for your pick up truck.

pdmtong,
Where can I buy a sheet or a large supply of patces for a reasonable price? What's your preference/advice for self adhesive vs. glue on?

Idris Icabod
06-11-2014, 05:52 PM
What's your preference/advice for self adhesive vs. glue on?

You can buy a pack of 100 sunlite patches on Amazon for about $9:

http://www.amazon.com/SunLite-93007M-Sunlite-Bulk-Patches/dp/B000BMUB38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402526937&sr=8-1&keywords=sunlite+patches

A large can of rubber cement for $6:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1050-Rubber-Cement-oz/dp/B003V9UU66/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C3ZG240NE9QS0J0EKKY

I stash punctured tubes and every year (probably longer) sit and fix them with the above. I don't like the self adhesive ones, never had good luck with them.

pdmtong
06-11-2014, 06:27 PM
I'll vouch for SlackMan that he lives in a small town that lacks a good lbs. It is the place to go, however, to get accessories for your pick up truck.

pdmtong,
Where can I buy a sheet or a large supply of patces for a reasonable price? What's your preference/advice for self adhesive vs. glue on?

I have just stocked up on patch "kits" when rei-outlet.com blows them out or just amass the freebies given out at sea otter, bike to work day, commuter fairs etc. Typically in a kit you get six small and two large patches plus glue. I cut the large patches in half so now I have ten. I batch up my tubes so I do 3-4 at a time. Roads here are pretty clean so it's not a constant job. I never use the self adhesive ones EXCEPT on the road for field repair. If the CO2 and the new tube somehow fail.

You can buy a pack of 100 sunlite patches on Amazon for about $9:

http://www.amazon.com/SunLite-93007M-Sunlite-Bulk-Patches/dp/B000BMUB38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402526937&sr=8-1&keywords=sunlite+patches

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1050-Rubber-Cement-oz/dp/B003V9UU66/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C3ZG240NE9QS0J0EKKY

I stash punctured tubes and every year (probably longer) sit and fix them with the above. I don't like the self adhesive ones, never had good luck with them.

this is good to know and looks to be the best deal going. thanks. getting back to the tubes, I like the michelin aircomp or the mavic tubes for smooth valve, medium height and patchable surface. Dont get me wrong - the chainlove ones are fine if you do not like patching. But it just seems to me a patch is still cheaper than $4 a shot.

BTW, I get my C02 in the walmart gun section or here: http://www.gas-depot.com/

eddief
06-11-2014, 06:28 PM
of tube patching. Save em up, wait for a crap day in winter, turn on some music and patch away. Dime size from Rema:

http://www.amazon.com/Rema-F0-P-Round-Patches-16mm/dp/B001GSKPVO

RedRider
06-11-2014, 06:44 PM
If you get enough punctures that you are buying tubes in bulk maybe you should consider going tubeless...

pdmtong
06-11-2014, 07:51 PM
If you get enough punctures that you are buying tubes in bulk maybe you should consider going tubeless...

I usually have about six tubes around here, plus 1-2 each for the deep section B43 rim, the various 26" and 29" mtbs, the townie mtb, and wifes old mtb now commuter with 1.5" slicks.

Its less the punctures, but also the occasional stem/tube interface failure due to age.

Invariably, I need a tube at 10pm or 6am...so helps to have stock at home. I dont think it makes sense to have dozens of the same size just lying around...

kramnnim
06-11-2014, 08:20 PM

It's annoying and slow, but the seams can be sanded/scuffed flat.

msl819
06-11-2014, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=tiretrax;1564465]I'll vouch for SlackMan that he lives in a small town that lacks a good lbs. It is the place to go, however, to get accessories for your pick up truck.

That is funny. Mine is the place to go to buy guns and ammo.

SlackMan
06-11-2014, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=tiretrax;1564465]I'll vouch for SlackMan that he lives in a small town that lacks a good lbs. It is the place to go, however, to get accessories for your pick up truck.

That is funny. Mine is the place to go to buy guns and ammo.

Plenty of guns and ammo to buy here too. ;)

tiretrax
06-12-2014, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE=msl819;1564542]

Plenty of guns and ammo to buy here too. ;)

Definitely that!

Thank you for the tips on the patches. I'll order some and get to work.

I bought my CO2 on Amazon - I think less than $1 for a threaded 16g cannister, but I now usually have my Lezyne mini pump with me so I don't have to haul around spent cannisters.

SlackMan
06-12-2014, 06:41 PM

Any idea how long the can of rubber cement lasts before it dries up? I would hate to buy a big can of it, and then find it dried out the next year. Any secrets for keeping it in liquid state?

shovelhd
06-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Any idea how long the can of rubber cement lasts before it dries up? I would hate to buy a big can of it, and then find it dried out the next year. Any secrets for keeping it in liquid state?

About a year, although you might be able to bring it back to life with some mineral spirits.

pbarry
06-12-2014, 07:25 PM
About a year, although you might be able to bring it back to life with some mineral spirits.

Mineral spirits, not acetone? Need to know as I just found a lost full can that's gone pretty thick. Thanks!

SlackMan
06-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Mineral spirits, not acetone? Need to know as I just found a lost full can that's gone pretty thick. Thanks!

Looks like acetone is recommended if one doesn't have "rubber cement thinner."

http://www.ehow.com/info_7853003_could-rubber-cement-thinner-nontoxic.html