PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Wheel Pros

WNCRider
06-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Re: Mavic Cosmic Elite rear wheel. I ran over a rather sizable piece of metal which pierced straight through the tread, through the tube, through the rim tape and lodged in the rim gorge (?) leaving a hole in same. I placed a short piece of rim tape over the hole and then installed new rim tape all around as well as new tire and tube. I have not yet ridden the bike.

So my questions are: should this be safe to ride? Do you recommend a rebuild by Mavic or purchase of a new wheel? Or something other?

Thanks in advance for any input.

oldpotatoe
06-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Re: Mavic Cosmic Elite rear wheel. I ran over a rather sizable piece of metal which pierced straight through the tread, through the tube, through the rim tape and lodged in the rim gorge (?) leaving a hole in same. I placed a short piece of rim tape over the hole and then installed new rim tape all around as well as new tire and tube. I have not yet ridden the bike.

So my questions are: should this be safe to ride? Do you recommend a rebuild by Mavic or purchase of a new wheel? Or something other?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Pic? Had a customer who had huge nail all the way thru the tire and rim...removed nail, checked true, replaced tire/tube, off he rode.

Mark McM
06-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Does piercing in the tire bed have rounded edges? If so, then it's probably okay to just keep riding the wheel as it is. After all, there are already plenty of holes in the tire bed, for both the spokes and the valve. If the piercing has sharp edges, then the edges should be rounded out with a drill or a file, to reduce stress concentrations.

I once ran over a nail that pierced the tire, both sides of the tube, the rim strip, the tire bed and the spoke bed (i.e., it went all the way through the tire and rim, and was poking out of the rim between spoke holes). After patching the tube and replacing the rim strip, I rode the rim several more thousand miles before it died a normal rim death through natural causes.

WNCRider
06-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Pic? Had a customer who had huge nail all the way thru the tire and rim...removed nail, checked true, replaced tire/tube, off he rode.Sorry, no pic. It went clear thru and left a hole almost dead center in the rim. Wheel seems totally stable, but that is from the point of view of someone who doesn't know anything about the structure capabilities of wheels.

oldpotatoe
06-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Sorry, no pic. It went clear thru and left a hole almost dead center in the rim. Wheel seems totally stable, but that is from the point of view of someone who doesn't know anything about the structure capabilities of wheels.

Probably fine...keep an eye on it...if it suddenly starts to make noise or go outta true, swap

ultraman6970
06-11-2014, 02:13 PM
IMO If dead center then doubt you will have a problem any day soon. Worse case scenario the rim will get a crack in the middle at some point but doubt will fail catastrophically ever.

WNCRider
06-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Does piercing in the tire bed have rounded edges? If so, then it's probably okay to just keep riding the wheel as it is. After all, there are already plenty of holes in the tire bed, for both the spokes and the valve. If the piercing has sharp edges, then the edges should be rounded out with a drill or a file, to reduce stress concentrations.

I once ran over a nail that pierced the tire, both sides of the tube, the rim strip, the tire bed and the spoke bed (i.e., it went all the way through the tire and rim, and was poking out of the rim between spoke holes). After patching the tube and replacing the rim strip, I rode the rim several more thousand miles before it died a normal rim death through natural causes.

The piercing was more like a knife turned on it's side and fortunately only slightly went thru the tire bed leaving a very narrow left to right hole. It has been showery here but I hope to give it a try tomorrow. Thanks.

WNCRider
06-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Probably fine...keep an eye on it...if it suddenly starts to make noise or go outta true, swap

Will do and Thanks.

csm
06-11-2014, 07:18 PM
If it's on the front I'd just move it to the back...

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD