PDA

View Full Version : USPS delivery times suffering massively

stien
06-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Priority mail is no longer a priority it seems. I'm working with a really awesome seller here who shipping something to me two day priority. supposed to arrive on the 7th. Still not here, not only late but it travelled several states in the wrong direction.

The seller contacted USPS directly and they told him that they were contracting out some coverage areas to UPS!

We are 2/2 wicked late packages the past two weeks, a few more incoming, which I have low expectations for.

Anyone else seeing a decrease in service? Is USPS hemmoraging cash?

yakstone
06-11-2014, 06:30 AM
Same experience here. It seems "Two day" and "Priority" need to be re-defined.
Last few two day deliveries I have shipped and received took close to a week.

Call it what it is and don't charge a premium for service that you are not providing.

kramnnim
06-11-2014, 06:33 AM
I mailed something via First Class on Friday, after hours...it arrived 500 miles north on Monday morning.

And...hmm. I mailed another small box via First Class on Thursday, it left my PO on Friday and arrived in Oregon (from NC) on Monday.

Maybe First Class is faster now...

parris
06-11-2014, 06:41 AM
In my area at least usps has shut down several facilities in order to save cash. Now when we mail anything it travels to Syracuse and then on from there. Maybe something similar's happened where you and some of the sellers live?

lukasz
06-11-2014, 06:45 AM
Has been working perfectly for me. Two day packages actually getting here in two days from the PNW to NYC. 2/2 in the last two weeks. I hate when stuff is sent to me via UPS unless the seller pays massive amounts of money for 2 or 3 day.

Ralph
06-11-2014, 06:53 AM
I placed an order with Ribble (UK) on Monday, and got it from USPS on Saturday. Somethings working right.

William
06-11-2014, 06:53 AM
So far I've had no issues using Priority mail (I always send payment this way). I did hear somewhere that USPS Priority is up to the discretion of the carriers, meaning just because you pay for 2-3 day doesn't mean that it will actually get there in 2-3 days. Stupid and misleading if true.

William

PS: One of my students works for USPS so I'll confer with him about policy on Priority mail.

Rada
06-11-2014, 07:03 AM
I've shipped a number of parcels going Priority or 1st class to east coast, mid west, and west coast. Everything delivered on time.

LesMiner
06-11-2014, 07:25 AM
There is another twist to the USPS delivery business. Many shipments to me have started as UPS but once at the UPS facility it is forwarded to the local Post Office. That's been at least an additional 3 day process. So UPS either delivers directly to me or to the Post Office, a difference of maybe 2 miles. No tracking once the package leaves UPS. USPS has no means or a clue on the status of a package. If you ask about a shipment USPS answers with all things you the customer has to do but nothing on what they will do to fix the shipment issue. My wife works for a 3PL and their experience has been mixed with USPS. She sees the handoff from UPS or FedEx to USPS all the time. Most of their customer delivery issues is on shipments handed off.

thirdgenbird
06-11-2014, 07:25 AM
My history with USPS has been pretty spotty. One year I had multiple lost packages. Over the last 12 months I had several delivered somewhere other than my house, the address was correct. Tracking numbers that don't do anything seems to be the standard. Several years ago, one employee told me scanning packages was optional. On tracking numbers that have worked, I've seen packages go all over the country before arriving. If I recall, one went through Montana on its way from Michigan to Iowa. I believe the other came from Texas by the way of California. I also had one package that went from the UK to the local post office faster than it went from the post office to my place. At the time, I was 1 block from the post office... Lately, packages seem to come in a day before they are scheduled to arrive. I think it is conservative estimates, not fast shipping times.

FlashUNC
06-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Just got something from the PNW shipped to Charlotte in a priority box. Shipped Friday, arrived Monday. Doesn't get much better than that.

thirdgenbird
06-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Just got something from the PNW shipped to Charlotte in a priority box. Shipped Friday, arrived Monday. Doesn't get much better than that.

My last package came from the PNW. Left on a Friday and got to Iowa on Wednesday.

Nooch
06-11-2014, 07:54 AM
I'm watching two packages on USPS right now...

One, from ebay, shows electronic shipping info received on 6/8, accepted in Washington state on 6/9, and scheduled for delivery today (woohoo!), and another one that the seller here sent out i believe on Monday, but is still showing Pre-Shipment as of 6/10 with just electronic shipping info received... That one concerns me a little bit..

thirdgenbird
06-11-2014, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. I've had packages arrive and the tracking info still says "shipping info received".

R3awak3n
06-11-2014, 08:07 AM
I ordered some spokes from bike hub store this weekend and they shipped priority on Monday and it says it's going to arrive Friday. This makes no sense as last time it took 2 days. They are also in the east coast and should not be taking this long. I am hopping its a mistake and that they will arrive today or tomorrow.

I haven't had many problems with them (well they lost my rent check this week so I had to send a new one) though

gdw
06-11-2014, 08:47 AM
I ship 2-300 packages a year through the post office, mainly Priority, and have rarely had a problem. They are very reliable and the rates are less than the commercial carriers. My only complaint is that their counters are understaffed and I always seem to get stuck behind a twit who wants to buy stamps but can't make up their mind as to which design is best.

bobswire
06-11-2014, 08:51 AM
I ship 2-300 packages a year through the post office, mainly Priority, and have rarely had a problem. They are very reliable and the rates are less than the commercial carriers. My only complaint is that their counters are understaffed and I always seem to get stuck behind a twit who wants to buy stamps but can't make up their mind as to which design is best.

Same here, of all the services sending a package (other than selling a whole bike or frame) I prefer USPS.

gospastic
06-11-2014, 08:52 AM
I recently had a USPS package that seriously only needed to go 1 mile. The place I ordered from was down the street and at the time I saw no option for pickup. The package ended up in Nebraska. Eventually it made its way back though. I think I got lucky on that one.

Mr. Pink
06-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Is USPS hemmoraging cash?

Is the sky blue?

gavingould
06-11-2014, 09:07 AM
have preferred USPS over UPS/FEDEX until recently as it was pretty dependable.

last few months though some stuff i've shipped took considerably longer than it should have for the "guaranteed" service level i paid for...
i bought a pair of shoes on here from a trusted seller a while back and they've yet to show from USPS, 6-7 weeks or more now. we gave it a couple weeks before he refunded me, if they come i'll happily re-pay - what a journey those shoes must be having!

tmf
06-11-2014, 09:50 AM
For me, Priority Mail has been working fine. I think a lot of it depends on the specifics of where the package originates and is delivered - and the routing it takes to get there.

Both FedEx and UPS have shipping options that use USPS to make the final residential deliveries. For FedEx, it's called SmartPost. I'm not sure what the UPS option is called.

In addition to that, the large majority of Priority Mail actually flies on FedEx aircraft (it's been that way since about 2001). The USPS is FedEx's largest customer. (I just ended a 17 year career at FedEx)

brando
06-11-2014, 10:17 AM
My only complaint is that their counters are understaffed and I always seem to get stuck behind a twit who wants to buy stamps but can't make up their mind as to which design is best.

I agree usps is the better of the three big package shippers. But the post office itself... :butt:

Recently ordered a Revelate bag from Anchorage and received it usps 3 days later in San Francisco.

bobswire
06-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Most of the problems I associate with USPS if from the sender/seller rather the USPS. Some folks will print up a label and I will receive an email with trackng # but the seller doesn't drop it off to the post until a few days later. Which is not a big deal unless I'm charged for expedited shipping but then they procrastinate.
BTW any of the small priority shipping box or even large priority envelopes can be dropped into a local USPS mailboxes so there is no need to go to the post office.

kramnnim
06-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Somewhat on topic- the USPS site only lets you pay for and print Priority labels, but if you use Paypal's Ship Now, you can print First Class...which is quite a bit cheaper. 13 ounce max, I think.

pinoymamba
06-11-2014, 11:03 AM
i've had good experiences with usps. i haven't seen a decline in service.

a bit off topic but has anyone experience with customs holding on to items? are items released in a timely manner? i feel like i'm going to just have to sit and wait... (i don't have a tracking number)

gdw
06-11-2014, 11:32 AM
"a bit off topic but has anyone experience with customs holding on to items? are items released in a timely manner? i feel like i'm going to just have to sit and wait... (i don't have a tracking number)"

Most of the packages I've sent overseas go through with minimal delay. The only country which seems to consistently hold packages is Australia. It's usually only a couple days but a few were held for two weeks.

jh_on_the_cape
06-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Somewhat on topic- the USPS site only lets you pay for and print Priority labels, but if you use Paypal's Ship Now, you can print First Class...which is quite a bit cheaper. 13 ounce max, I think.

Yes this. FOr something small and light, it is cheaper and very easy.

pdmtong
06-11-2014, 12:05 PM
My only complaint is that their counters are understaffed and I always seem to get stuck behind a twit who wants to buy stamps but can't make up their mind as to which design is best.

But the post office itself... :butt:

Find a post office with a self-service kiosk
https://www.usps.com/shop/use-self-service-kiosks.htm
Once you get the hang of it (it is ridiculously easy) it will take < 2 minutes to generate and pay for a stamp or priority label.

I keep a handful of USPS boxes and envelopes at home so when I sell something here I can usually ship the same or next day - packing material at hand and use the self-service kiosk. I haven't waited in line in years.

Note: Doesn't work if a customs form needed...hence my reluctance to ship outside the USA. I just don't have an hour to wait in line.

gdw
06-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the link, unfortunately it's easier to deal with the local annex than travel to the current kiosks.

Buzz Killington
06-11-2014, 03:37 PM
I ordered some items, and had them shipped UPS to my home street address. Turns out UPS contracts out the final delivery to USPS. But, since we only get mail from our PO box, and the box only had street address, the post office had no idea what to do. I called UPS to track, they said post office had it. Went to post office and saw it in the corner behind the counter and said hey that's mine. Anyway, moral of story is give both street and mailing address to shippers.

brando
06-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Once you get the hang of it (it is ridiculously easy) it will take < 2 minutes to generate and pay for a stamp or priority label.

I keep a handful of USPS boxes and envelopes at home so when I sell something here I can usually ship the same or next day - packing material at hand and use the self-service kiosk. I haven't waited in line in years.

Note: Doesn't work if a customs form needed...hence my reluctance to ship outside the USA. I just don't have an hour to wait in line.

I've used the kiosks as well. They can back up like the self-checkout at the grocery store... all it takes is one technology-challenged customer and forgetit.

martinez
06-11-2014, 06:07 PM
same problem here!
paid for an item on here and the seller sent it out with it having to be delivered at my house last thursday. It bounced around a few states, and then went back to the seller's home state, and now it is on its way to me here in LA.
is it more of a thing that's going on in the mid US?
(sorry, only read the first few posts)

choke
06-11-2014, 06:56 PM
USPS is good for the most part but sometimes a package goes awry. I had one take a week to get to me from about an 8 hour drive away, yet today I received a package from VA that was shipped on Monday. I prefer USPS if I have the option.

I ordered some items, and had them shipped UPS to my home street address. Turns out UPS contracts out the final delivery to USPS. But, since we only get mail from our PO box, and the box only had street address, the post office had no idea what to do. I called UPS to track, they said post office had it. Went to post office and saw it in the corner behind the counter and said hey that's mine. Anyway, moral of story is give both street and mailing address to shippers.I can so relate to that - we don't have street mail delivery here either. On the plus side, I wouldn't use all of my fingers to count the number of times I've had to wait in line to ship a package in the last 5 years.

bluesea
06-11-2014, 07:45 PM
And here I am telling the world how quickly our priority packages are flying over the Pacific these days.

oldpotatoe
06-12-2014, 08:01 AM

Or sign up for click and ship on yer computer..and you CAN do customs as well...print label, onto freebie USPS priority or Express box or your own..drop in box at USPS..

PLUS you get a wee discount if you use click-a-ship..

texbike
06-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Just this week I sent a package to Florida from Texas via USPS standard shipping and it arrived two days earlier than expected. I usually use the kiosk unless it's a large package or something is going overseas.

Texbike

stien
04-01-2020, 07:20 AM
Bringing this one back up. Anyone else to commiserate with? My bike is busted and the parts are stuck in transit!

tctyres
04-01-2020, 07:35 AM
Yes. The lateness is real.

I think a lot of people have turned to online ordering via Amazon and Walmart, so that is taking a lot of the cargo space.

madsciencenow
04-01-2020, 07:36 AM
Most stuff seems to be making it fine. I do have one package sent to CA where the tracking was back and forth between LA and Chicago. Seemed slightly delayed but it made it.

A few months ago I had my vehicle tags get lost for more than a month. I had to go and request additional tags. About the same time my birthday card from my in-laws was delayed for multiple weeks. One package letter in state and one coming from out of state so there doesn’t seem to be much of a consistent theme to what’s impacted or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peanutgallery
04-01-2020, 07:36 AM
We'll...there is this pandemic thing going on

There's no bike treasure on the interwebs worth the risk of others to ship it to you. Maybe in August or something. Sit tight and be safe

OtayBW
04-01-2020, 07:41 AM
We'll...there is this pandemic thing going on

There's no bike treasure on the interwebs worth the risk of others to ship it to you. Maybe in August or something. Sit tight and be safeAgree. Maybe time to be a little more charitable in people's expectations. Everything is tanking right now, and I'm sure the people who are working are doing their best under pretty difficult circumstances.....

AngryScientist
04-01-2020, 07:56 AM
now imagine if you are a senior citizen who relies on home delivery of food, and has for years due to limited mobility, and you're worried that you cant get essentials to feed yourself and get your medicine.

lot of suffering and anxiety in the world right now. i'm 100% on board with shippers prioritizing real essentials like food, medicine, etc.

i know it stinks to be waiting on stuff, but in the big picture, i think we can all understand the limitations of the shipping lines and where the priority needs to be right now.

Blue Jays
04-01-2020, 08:10 AM
My anticipation is most people would be comfortable with self-selecting a "slowest" delivery method to help overall logistics.
For example, I received a massive (unrequested) product catalog from an unrecognized company. Easily the same size as a huge dictionary.
It frustrated me that these silly books almost certainly filled an entire mail truck and undoubtedly slowed the system for "real" deliveries.

alancw3
04-01-2020, 08:29 AM
I think the postal service is doing a stellar job under these circumstance. have not experienced any delays whatsoever in receiving packages. cuckoos to them for a job well done.

Clancy
04-01-2020, 08:30 AM
My anticipation is most people would be comfortable with self-selecting a "slowest" delivery method to help overall logistics.
For example, I received a massive (unrequested) product catalog from an unrecognized company. Easily the same size as a huge dictionary.
It frustrated me that these silly books almost certainly filled an entire mail truck and undoubtedly slowed the system for "real" deliveries.

I also get these from time to time, as you said the size of a telephone directory, from companies I never heard of. Also get, unsolicited, these neighborhood or locally focused slick, glossy magazines that seem to only be a driver for advertising. I wish there was an opt out that folks could sign up that would prevent these mass mailings.

Hopefully, after we get through this crisis there will be some serious reflections on priorities and what we truly value as individuals and as a society. Maybe we will turn away from the endless cycle of consumer consumption and slow down a little.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but one can wish. Meanwhile, Stay healthy

Skenry
04-01-2020, 08:31 AM
lot of suffering and anxiety in the world right now. i'm 100% on board with shippers prioritizing real essentials like food, medicine, etc.

I'm OK with this too, except I'm not OK with shipping agents asking me what I'm shipping.

Velocipede
04-01-2020, 08:37 AM
I'm missing two pair of pedals that were sent out. Not sure where they're at right now.

Blue Jays
04-01-2020, 08:56 AM
"...I'm OK with this too, except I'm not OK with shipping agents asking me what I'm shipping..."
Totally understood, Skenry.
Perhaps the technique would be to ask if one would "voluntarily direct this package to a slower method" to make way for urgent shipments?
Declaring everything in detail certainly opens the door to potential theft.

kppolich
04-01-2020, 09:03 AM
Priority mail is no longer a priority it seems. I'm working with a really awesome seller here who shipping something to me two day priority. supposed to arrive on the 7th. Still not here, not only late but it travelled several states in the wrong direction.

The seller contacted USPS directly and they told him that they were contracting out some coverage areas to UPS!

We are 2/2 wicked late packages the past two weeks, a few more incoming, which I have low expectations for.

Anyone else seeing a decrease in service? Is USPS hemmoraging cash?

I have seen the opposite. Things at our local USPS are running like a Swiss watch. Going out faster and getting in faster, for both Priority and First class.

stien
04-01-2020, 09:19 AM
I have seen the opposite. Things at our local USPS are running like a Swiss watch. Going out faster and getting in faster, for both Priority and First class.

A lot has changed in 6 years! (when the OP was posted).

My intent in bumping this thread was to get some folks to bellyache with me, clearly bike parts are not a priority over essential goods, food, medicine, or worker health. I've got one package above board with USPS and one package totally MIA. I can't ride this particular bike until I get both, so :banana:

pdmtong
04-01-2020, 12:52 PM
I think the postal service is doing a stellar job under these circumstance. have not experienced any delays whatsoever in receiving packages. cuckoos to them for a job well done.

I've sent a number of things the past 3 weeks...not only have there been no delays in many cases the packages deliver a day early. If I drop off Sunday night to ensure in the system Monday morning, packages have made it from west coast (bay area) to east coast (NE) by Wednesday 0 these are USPS first class parcel < one pound. IIRC priority is two day, so to get three day to the east coast for parcel rates is outstanding.

HenryA
04-01-2020, 01:21 PM
Just got a USPS box ordered on Friday, shipped on Monday from Florida and arrived Wednesday in Tennessee.

Worked OK for me.

R3awak3n
04-01-2020, 01:50 PM
UPS, USPS, FEDEX... all been great to me lately. They are working around the clock, have probably twice the work.

Amazon got everyone used to this 2 days thing and we are now creatures of convenience. Now we have to wait a few more days but I am glad they are prioritizing certain things.

likebikes
04-01-2020, 05:41 PM
business as usual with usps here in colorado.

kohagen
04-02-2020, 04:40 AM
i think the postal service is doing a stellar job under these circumstance. Have not experienced any delays whatsoever in receiving packages. Cuckoos to them for a job well done.

+1

dave thompson
04-02-2020, 11:00 AM
I just read a news report where FedEx and UPS are going to merge their companies during this crisis. It’s going to be called FedUp. :eek:

jlwdm
04-02-2020, 11:01 AM
UPS, USPS, FEDEX... all been great to me lately. They are working around the clock, have probably twice the work.

Amazon got everyone used to this 2 days thing and we are now creatures of convenience. Now we have to wait a few more days but I am glad they are prioritizing certain things.

Amazon has made my deliveries earlier than they say they are going to be.

I don't get enough real mail to know how USPS is doing.

Jeff

CAAD
04-02-2020, 11:28 AM
I have been getting packages here in Orlando a day early.

rrudoff
04-02-2020, 12:11 PM
My packages to Honolulu from California via USPS Priority have been taking 2-3 days, so no complaints. I am staying in California working (I am at an essential business making positive controls for tests and Sequencing kits for COVID-19 as well as other DNA and RNA stuff that may help) and she is in Honolulu. I normally bring stuff out every 3-4 weeks, but have to mail for now.

Nooch
04-02-2020, 12:36 PM
Had ordered something from florida via usps, was shipping fine, was scheduled to arrive yesterday. Now, there's no update other than 'it's moving through the network to the next location' and can't appear to get any additional information.

UPS should be delivering something today though, so I'll keep my fingers crossed on at least one package.

2metalhips
04-02-2020, 12:42 PM
I just read a news report where FedEx and UPS are going to merge their companies during this crisis. It’s going to be called FedUp. :eek:

That's awesome!