PDA

View Full Version : Lemond of Cycling#3

bobswire
06-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Interesting analysis on the Giro, Quintana and young racers in general from Lemond.

http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/eurosport/?title=Lemond+of+Cycling,+Episode+3:+Eurosport+Ann iversary,+Giro+Analysis&dashboard=&id=lemond-cycling-episode-3-123930332&yr=2014

Wilkinson4
06-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Good stuff. Lemond has great insight. Thanks for sharing that.

mIKE

don compton
06-10-2014, 09:43 PM
:no:

john903
06-10-2014, 10:02 PM
That was a good video I enjoyed watching and listening to Lemond he seems very insightful. One thing that caught my eye is about minute 9:46 I noticed he has a cyclist tan line on his mid bicep so he must still riding.

Wilkinson4
06-10-2014, 10:43 PM
One thing that caught my eye is about minute 9:46 I noticed he has a cyclist tan line on his mid bicep so he must still riding.

Showing off his guns:) Lemond can probably still break most of our legs off for sure. It will be neat getting his take on this years tour.

mIKE

don compton
06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
In the early 1990's, I was building homes in Reno. I shared an office with Bob Lemond and another real estate broker. Greg's current build reminds me of his dad. They're not little Colombians. Even though Greg and his dad aren't very tall, they're very strong, individuals. Remember the time he won the Tour the last day with his performance in that time trial.
Its great to see him back in the cycling arena. He was a truly, awesome rider.

ultraman6970
06-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Ultra agrees with lemond's comments about movistar and Quintana, Movistar should get Quintana in that team because is some weird thing happens to Valverde this year they could be losing it all. Tour is different than last year tho...

enr1co
06-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Ultra agrees with lemond's comments about movistar and Quintana, Movistar should get Quintana in that team because is some weird thing happens to Valverde this year they could be losing it all. Tour is different than last year tho...

Agree- huge mistake not having Quintana on the TdF squad as Valverde will crack in the mts as he always does.

Teams should go back to the thinking that a strong, dominant rider like Quintana should be able to do both the Giro and Tour as the greats in the past- not the "ride only the TdF" mentality which was propogated by the doper so he could lay as low as possible until July.

dpk501
06-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Lemond rocks and his observations are dead on (as always).

He seems happier too....

He's been lifting those weight! I think he should start an arm wrestling league for ex-cyclists. Lemond: Over the Top.

MattTuck
06-11-2014, 05:26 PM
It is a big gamble that has not paid off in recent years, to put the Giro winner into the Tour. In addition, Valverde is still the bigger name in Spain (the team sponsor's home country) and will probably generate more publicity/news coverage.

All that being said...
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/392058624/hDDD23E5E/
credit has to go to cyclocosm on this one...

bobswire
06-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Lemond rocks and his observations are dead on (as always).

He seems happier too....

He's been lifting those weight! I think he should start an arm wrestling league for ex-cyclists. Lemond: Over the Top.

Definitely happier and outgoing without having to defend his beliefs any longer. Plus he doesn't go around on a soapbox proclaiming,"I told you so". Which he deserves credit for.

rain dogs
06-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Agree- huge mistake not having Quintana on the TdF squad as Valverde will crack in the mts as he always does.

Teams should go back to the thinking that a strong, dominant rider like Quintana should be able to do both the Giro and Tour as the greats in the past- not the "ride only the TdF" mentality which was propogated by the doper so he could lay as low as possible until July.

I'd ask Lemond if he really thinks Quintana can do a competitive Tour right after the Giro.

This is a very divisive issue amongst the fans, but I think Movistar made the correct decision. Quintana won the Giro, that's the first Grand Tour for the Movistar (Caisse/Banesto/Reynolds) team in half a decade!

As well, Quintana, if he is what we think he is, could win the Vuelta too. I've yet to see a rider do the Giro-Tour double and be successful. Last to do it was Pantani (and he had a 60 hemocrit) before that Indurain, Hinault, Merckx, Coppi.

Quintana is very good, but that good? Think of Sastre, Simoni, small guys like Nairo who have tried and failed miserably to do the double. A Giro win is worth much more than 2nd or 3rd in the Tour. And reversed... could Valverde have won the Giro? I doubt it (he's terrible in cold conditions).

Quintana for the Giro-Vuelta may not be the most popular decision, nor the most fan pleasing, but it's the smarter one IMHO. They've already got a Maglia Rosa out of it.