PDA

View Full Version : Looking Cool:functional sunglasses,great legs.

Andreu
03-13-2004, 02:26 AM
I want to look cool this summer. I have spent the last n years of summers (where n > 10) with red eyes because I cannot find sunglasses that work - they just seem to make my eyes sweat and then I end up taking them off because I cannot see (they steam up or they end up with rivulets of sweat on them).
How can I get around this....I need to get something as the sun here is so bloody bright compared with Blighty (England)..... but I don't want to fork out €500 (exagerating for effect) for a pair that spend most of their time in the my back pocket. I have tried Oakleys: bought in the 80's: patently didn't work. Brikos: Kind of worked sometimes depending on wind direction but lost them when they fell of my head going up a hilly road (Thats how fast I was going;) ).
Also any tips on freckley irish legs....every summer I expect the freckles to join up on my legs and to get a great tan but it never happens....should I just be consigned to the fact that I have to use some sort of tanning lotion?
A:confused:
PS I did a race here in Spain the other day and while we were signing on one of the guys had a marked sun tan line around where his sunglass hould have been - does this look cool or stupid - I cannot make my mind up? The weather has been crap here so I can only summise he has been training in the Congo......

Needs Help
03-13-2004, 02:50 AM
Wait until you lose most of your hair--then it will feel like rivers of acid are running into your eyes. It's not the sunglasses you should be worrying about--it's a sweat band. I cut long strips out of old jerseys to get the wicking material. I make the strips about 3 inches wide, then twist them a few times, and tie the ends in a knot with 3 or 4 inches of tail. That will divert most of the sweat from running into your eyes and dripping onto your glasses, but if it's hot and your working hard, a few drops may still fall onto your glasses.

I saw an ad one time for a plastic sweat band that was essentially a piece of plastic folded over to look like this: V. The sweat ran into the "culvert" and flowed around to the back of your head and down your back. lol.

With sunglasses, the main problem I have is finding short enough frames to fit between the bridge of my nose and the front of my helmet. I think less coverage is also cooler.

Speedi Pig
03-13-2004, 06:11 AM
Have you tried Rudy Project? I give them high marks for adjustability. Lens are interchanagle...I recommend getting a pair of dark, racing red (for haze), and clear. They also have a ventilation feature that helps prevent fogging.

I've worn out one pair after ~ 12,000 miles and 2.5 years. The company will replace scratched lens for the cost of shipping and handling. Expect to pay $100 to $150 U.S..

FloridaRider
03-13-2004, 06:48 AM
I second the Rudy Project suggestion. I've gone through Oakleys with little success. My Eqynox's are one of my better investments. Combine them with a bandana and you should be OK. Living here in Florida, sweat in the eyes is a common problem. I always wear a bandana or a cycling cap to soak up the sweat. Those Halo headbands don't cut it.

For a tan - well, I get enough sun so it isn't a problem. My wife uses an Estee Lauder "instant tan" spray that works remarkably well. Hardly seems worth the trouble though. But if it really bothers you - a trip to the cosmetics counter should fix you up.

Bruce K
03-13-2004, 09:25 AM
I'll third Rudys.

I use the Rydons with the Rx insert. They are the best I have tried so far.

BK

davep
03-13-2004, 11:03 AM
I also love my Rudys, except the rubber cover for the ear piece fell off and I've been trying to get a replacement from my LBS for 3 months. They say they can't get it from Rudy Project. I can still use the glasses so it hasn't been a major problem, but it is annoying. I don't know if the problem is at my LBS or Rudy Project.

Kevan
03-13-2004, 02:02 PM
that I use Briko eyewear and sunless tanning lotion on my gams. What can I say... he was right, and I've never looked back.

I understand he's trying to get his own tv show off the ground, "Evil Eye for the Fast Guy".

Good luck Sans!

larryp2
03-13-2004, 03:18 PM
I've had good luck with Native brand sunglasses, usually on sale at Bike Nashbar and the like.....

Bruce K
03-13-2004, 04:09 PM
davep;

Have you tried contacting Rusy directly via phone or e-mail?

You might also find an optician who is a Rudy dealer. Rusys are not just sold through your LBS.

BK

Blastinbob
03-13-2004, 04:24 PM
davep,

I ordered replacement parts for my kerosene glasses direct from Rudy project. They have a store on the website " HERE " (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/rudystore/index.htm) , but it looks like they only sell parts for the ' Kerosene' glasses .

davep
03-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Blastinbob,

I have Kerosenes also, so I just ordered the spare parts kit. I should be good to go in a week or so. Thanks.

DonG
03-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Andreu

Thirds and fourths on the Rudy's. Team In Training get's a good deal on Rudy Glasses so I've got three pair right now and the Kerosene's are my favorites.

How good to the feel. I forget I have them on. No pressure anywhere and they stay in place.

Don

vaxn8r
03-13-2004, 09:36 PM
5th and 6th on Rudy's

I used to go for the hype and bought, oh, 5 pair of Oakley over about 10 years. Every last pair broke. Most within 2 years.

I have 7 year old Skeey uno's which still work great but I change the lenses so often they are getting a little worn where they slide into the track so they are beginning to pop out a bit too easily. I have worn these ALOT.

Just got a new pair of Rydon's. I also recommend something dark, maybe a red if you want, and IMO, you need a yellow or clear. I like yellow because it really does enhance contrast on cloudy days, clear is clear, no enhancement. Don't wear 'em on sunny days though or you'll go blind. Just kidden'. They all have good UV protection.

bostondrunk
03-13-2004, 10:47 PM
You know that I know that you know, that I know that you know about the fact that I know that you know......
Just get a pair of Oakleys. M-frames or Scars, whichever floats yer boat, they rule.

Kevin
03-14-2004, 05:44 AM
I vote for Oakley M Frames.

Kevin

Climb01742
03-14-2004, 06:04 AM
i've found oakleys to be two things:

1) way too expensive
2) way good glasses

yes, they're costly, yes some models are freakish, yes lots of posers wear them, but in my experience, damn, they are great glasses. jan wears rudy's. lance wears oakleys. case closed. HA HA.:beer:

csb
03-14-2004, 02:45 PM
whats jaylow _ oops i mean cipo wear?

Balf
03-14-2004, 04:53 PM
I bought a pair of Fimex glasses last year in France and I am very pleased with them. They are cheap but highly effective. Not so effective is their ecommerce site as I ordered some more and they never came.

Alex