Splash
06-11-2014, 04:21 AM
thanks shovelled.

out of all the choices available, what made you choose the Garmin 800
Bontrager ANT+ wheel speed sensor?

splash

kramnnim
06-11-2014, 05:37 AM
Garmin 800 because my old 500 was annoying and the 800 has maps. And the 510/810 provide nothing extra I would use.

Garmin GSC-10 sensors...for no reason.

shovelhd
06-11-2014, 06:59 AM
I upgraded from a 705 to the 800 to add power and ten fields per screen. Both had maps. I don't use the maps often but they have saved my butt more than once in foreign territory.

I chose the Bontrager because my second GSC-10 died and I don't need cadence as it is handled by the SRM. I think the Bontrager is cleaner as well.

Splash
06-11-2014, 07:33 AM
thanks guys.

those garmin 800 looks the good when riding in built up areas and the ability to select maps form other riders is fantastic!

splash

LesMiner
06-11-2014, 08:28 AM
I also have upgraded from the Garmin 705 to the 800. Same reasons as stated earlier. I have a Powertap wheelset with Reynolds carbon rims. The Powertap is ANT+ of course and also provides speed. For cadence the speed/cadence unit is still needed. Then again the Garmin via GPS provides speed, no sensor required. I also have 2005 vintage Cateye C300CDW (I think that's right model) double wireless. I was surprised to find that Garmin picked up cadence from that old Cateye sensor. So I left it on my older steel bike and use the Garmin with it.

The one thing about the Garmin 800 is the mount packaged with the unit. In a word, it sucks. Althougth the mount on the unit itself is an improvement over the 705, the mount for the bar or stem could be better. The after market ones are way better but you have to buy them separately.

ptourkin
06-11-2014, 08:40 AM
I use an 810. With charging from my Luxos U and SONDelux dyno hub, I was able to record the entire Trona 308 on one track. I did lose some sensor data from my Stages powermeter for a period of time but my heartrate recorded the whole time. I've replaced the Garmin premium (ugh) with a Cateye ANT+. For long rides, I've found that turning off the mapping in the activity profile on the the Garmin greatly increases battery life. The GPS is still on, but the map display screen is disabled.

I get cadence from the Stages but I've left the GSC-10 on for speed and use on the trainer. I think the loss of my powermeter is a Garmin problem as they sometimes decide to drop various unrelated sensors during a ride. Not often though, and you can usually get them back by rebooting.