PDA

View Full Version : Newest 10-speed Veloce w/ 6800 cassette?

ahumblecycler
06-10-2014, 07:34 AM
All,

I call upon the great Campagnolo knowledge members to riddle me this: will the latest Veloce shift fine with a 6800 cassette that has been "downgraded" to a 10-speed cassette?

I wonder this based on the fact that all 11-speed cassettes are inter-changeable. I, however, am uncertain whether the pull ratio to shift cogs are the same between the Veloce and the 11-speed counterparts. If yes, I would hypothesize that I could successfully use a 6800 cassette that has one cog removed.

Constructive thoughts please.

oldpotatoe
06-10-2014, 07:38 AM
All,

I call upon the great Campagnolo knowledge members to riddle me this: will the latest Veloce shift fine with a 6800 cassette that has been "downgraded" to a 10-speed cassette?

I wonder this based on the fact that all 11-speed cassettes are inter-changeable. I, however, am uncertain whether the pull ratio to shift cogs are the same between the Veloce and the 11-speed counterparts. If yes, I would hypothesize that I could successfully use a 6800 cassette that has one cog removed.

Constructive thoughts please.

Not...spacing different, 10s and 11s but try it and get back to us. I haven't tried a Campagnolo 10s system with 10 of 11, 11s cogs onboard.

I don't think it will work. BUT Lennard(and I saw it, tried it), use a sram rear der, Campagnolo ERGO 10s..and it shifts shimano 10s spacing..even if ya gotta sully up your rig with scram components.

ahumblecycler
06-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks OP for the reply. I have a couple of 7900 wheels that I love and thought I may be able to use them with the set up I described above. I will give it a whirl this weekend and report back.

thirdgenbird
06-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Isn't that going the wrong direction? I thought campy 10 spacing was closer to shimano 9 than shimano 10. 11spd would be a step the wrong direction.

Ergott (sp?) mentioned shimming a shimano cassette for Campagnolo 10 use. You may want to talk to him. I think he used the extra space of an 11spd shimano freehub, but 9 of 10 shimano cogs and some shims may be just the ticket on a 10spd freehub.

ShaneAtSilca
06-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Cog width, spacing, and variable spacer thickness in the cassette that the veloce shifter is designed for wont line up perfectly with the shimano.

Im with potatoe that this probably wont give you great shifting, but your mileage may vary depending on your tolerance less than perfect shifting. I worked with a life-long shop mechanic for years who was perfectly happy to run shimano cassettes even though it never worked great...

ahumblecycler
06-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Cog width, spacing, and variable spacer thickness in the cassette that the veloce shifter is designed for wont line ...

This was the information I was seeking. I was unsure whether the Veloce would pull the same amount as say a Chorus would, but I am gathering it would not. Oh well... it was a nice thought

fffuhq
06-10-2014, 01:20 PM
go with this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMERICAN-CLASSIC-Shimano-to-Campy-conversion-12x25-cassette-/201093574082?pt=US_Cassettes_Freewheels_Cogs&hash=item2ed21c6dc2

ultraman6970
06-10-2014, 03:24 PM
They are kind'a noisy but they work ok.

Or maybe get a conversion thingy that goes in the RD?

oldpotatoe
06-10-2014, 03:32 PM
They are kind'a noisy but they work ok.

Or maybe get a conversion thingy that goes in the RD?

Or shimano 9s cogset and chain...that works well with Campagnolo 10s.