PDA

View Full Version : Sold a fork with separate decals a while back

Veloo
06-09-2014, 06:48 AM
This is something that happened a while back. I think it was early 2000's and it happened to a friend.
His girlfriend wanted to get him something bike related but they didn't know what cuz he thought he had everything he needed. I suggested a carbon fork to upgrade from his aluminum Kinesis on his Litespeed road bike. They liked the idea and went back to the shop where they originally got the bike.
This is back in the days of 1" threaded steerers. I can't recall the brand of carbon fork they ended up buying but it was a well known name brand from that era.
So I get a call from him in a bit of a panic the night after the sale. He said the fork had no decals when he went to pick up the bike and when he asked about it, the guy just went to the back and handed my friend the decals. When he challenged them a bit more on it, the shop guy said it's all legit as there was a serial number on the fork.

So what do you guys think about a sale of an early era carbon with separate decals?

Why do I bring this up after over a decade? Cuz I'm meeting new friends these days that really support this bike shop. And this old experience has been replaying in my head over and over recently. The shop is still under the same management/ owners. I still have my own opinions about this shop from a number of other experiences and stories from reliable sources.

Vinci
06-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Did the new fork not have the brand name on the steer tube with the serial number?

Personally, I would love to get a nice fork with no decals/branding on it. I rattle-can'd the last Easton fork I bought to cover up the 30 logos they had plastered all over it.

nicrump
06-09-2014, 04:58 PM
the Wound-ups i put on my steel frames from about '97 to '01 came with the decals in the bike, not on the fork.

RedRider
06-09-2014, 09:55 PM
About 6 or 7 yrs ago, I handled a team order for custom bikes where the aluminum frames were powdercoated and the carbon Edge forks were shipped to us unfinished with an envelope of decals if the riders wanted them.

Saint Vitus
06-10-2014, 08:52 AM
You say a decade ago, one anecdotal story and the only infraction was over decals? I'd say...

FAHGETTABOUDIT!!!!!

tiretrax
06-10-2014, 08:59 AM
I still have my own opinions about this shop from a number of other experiences and stories from reliable sources.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stickers. Current stories are more relevant. A friend bought the first bike of a new line that the LBS carried. It was constructed poorly and caused several failures. Then, he was hit by a car and had to get new bars and tape. They charged him a premium to MSRP on both, and, they did a poor job of the installation. He still patronizes them, for some reason, because it's a small shop with "cool" guys.