PDA

View Full Version : Moots sales policy/requirements?

bluesea
06-08-2014, 04:00 PM
I talked to them a few weeks ago, and they mentioned no problems ordering through my LBS which is not a listed Moots dealer. The one listed dealer in HI is on Maui.

Talked to my LBS last week, and without details they mentioned Moots apparently needed more commitment than they could offer at this time. I generally like web purchase options, but sure would have preferred to support my LBS on this one.

The feeling is perhaps a used Moots might be the better option for a first ti frame, and if going new maybe check out another brand? I'd rather not go custom at this time, because resale value is desirable for a first bike.

tigoat
06-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Moots would be a good choice if you could get something off the standard list, as a custom option can be costly. Buying a used Moots will be a very smart choice if you can find one in your size, as it will save a lot of money. If a full custom geometry to be had, then there might be a better option out there other than a Moots. Not sure why would people care about resale too much, as you will loose a ton anyway should you sell your expensive frame regardless of the maker.

DfCas
06-08-2014, 05:43 PM
if they are a non-stocking dealer, the margin may be so low that its not worth the time/trouble/risk of problems and customer service required if there is a problem.

bluesea
06-08-2014, 06:03 PM
if they are a non-stocking dealer, the margin may be so low that its not worth the time/trouble/risk of problems and customer service required if there is a problem.

Ah, makes sense. Obviously I'm not worth the troubles to my LBS. Hahaha

Moots would be a good choice if you could get something off the standard list, as a custom option can be costly. Buying a used Moots will be a very smart choice if you can find one in your size, as it will save a lot of money. If a full custom geometry to be had, then there might be a better option out there other than a Moots. Not sure why would people care about resale too much, as you will loose a ton anyway should you sell your expensive frame regardless of the maker.

My bad not so much resale value, but ability to sell easily.

oldpotatoe
06-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Ah, makes sense. Obviously I'm not worth the troubles to my LBS. Hahaha

My bad not so much resale value, but ability to sell easily.

Moots is commited to their dealer network, do not sell direct under any circumstance. They asked the dealer to become a Moots dealer with a small buy in with the sold Moots as part of it. I wouldn't be surprised one additional frame to become a dealer although I don't really know. The shop decided for whatever reason, they couldn't do it. I think they thought you were 'worth it' but maybe the shop couldn't afford a Moots to display. I wouldn't take it personally.

bluesea
06-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Moots is commited to their dealer network, do not sell direct under any circumstance. They asked the dealer to become a Moots dealer with a small buy in with the sold Moots as part of it. I wouldn't be surprised one additional frame to become a dealer although I don't really know. The shop decided fir whatever reason, they couldn't do it. I think they thought you were 'worth it' but maybe the shop couldn't afford a Moots to display. I wouldn't take it personally.

Thanks (as always) for the inside scoop. Even one frame would be a strain for a really small shop. For Honolulu riders I guess it's Wrench Science.

buldogge
06-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Peter…Since there is no Honolulu dealer…Could Jim get Monte one???

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
06-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Peter…Since there is no Honolulu dealer…Could Jim get Monte one???

-Mark in St. Louis

Yep...as long as the gent isn't in an area that has a Moots dealer. BUT shipping $, he may be better off flying to Maui.

Ahneida Ride
06-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Both Firefly and K. Bedford Customs build in full custom Ti.
They are Phorum sponsors ..... Take a look at their web pages.

http://fireflybicycles.com/

http://kbedfordcustoms.com/

buldogge
06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
I don't want to speak to Jim's shipping charges…but…it was only ~$138 when I shipped a new frameset by USPS to Monte a couple months ago from the STL.

FWIW.

-Mark

Yep...as long as the gent isn't in an area that has a Moots dealer. BUT shipping $, he may be better off flying to Maui.

06-09-2014, 01:17 PM
My experience with Moots in the past has been that they are very selective with dealers and they are quite idiosyncratic about what they will or won't do, and how they do just about everything. That's not bad, because they are committed to avoiding the abortions that a lot of other frame builders have put out over the years -- all their bikes ride well, have superb resale value, and age well.

I ended up going all the way out of state to buy a Moots from Vecchio's. That was partly because I liked arguing with Tater, but mostly because Vecchio's was one of the top Moots dealers in the country and had Moots frames really dialed in. In this case it made ordering easy and Vecchio's really stood behind the frame when I had a couple minor issues to work out. As much as I like to support local bike shops, I will support a non-local local bike shop if it has great expertise and history with a particular builder or line of equipment -- and that was the case here. I'm not saying that you should buy from Vecchio's, but having had the experience, I can tell you that you won't have a problem going there for a Moots. They have such a good relationship with Moots that it makes things a lot smoother than trying to go through a shop that might buy one or two frames a year.

jr59
06-09-2014, 01:38 PM
My experience with Moots in the past has been that they are very selective with dealers and they are quite idiosyncratic about what they will or won't do, and how they do just about everything. That's not bad, because they are committed to avoiding the abortions that a lot of other frame builders have put out over the years -- all their bikes ride well, have superb resale value, and age well.

I ended up going all the way out of state to buy a Moots from Vecchio's. That was partly because I liked arguing with Tater, but mostly because Vecchio's was one of the top Moots dealers in the country and had Moots frames really dialed in. In this case it made ordering easy and Vecchio's really stood behind the frame when I had a couple minor issues to work out. As much as I like to support local bike shops, I will support a non-local local bike shop if it has great expertise and history with a particular builder or line of equipment -- and that was the case here. I'm not saying that you should buy from Vecchio's, but having had the experience, I can tell you that you won't have a problem going there for a Moots. They have such a good relationship with Moots that it makes things a lot smoother than trying to go through a shop that might buy one or two frames a year.

I could not agree more.100% agree!

When and if I ever buy another Ti frame, Potter @ Vecchio's is the first and last place I'm going to call! Old Tatter built a great shop and Potter carries on without missing a beat.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2014, 04:57 PM

Grazie, very kind words.