PDA

View Full Version : 7900 Shifter Rattle?

alioup
06-08-2014, 12:59 PM
I've started to notice a rattle coming from my right shifter. It doesn't go away even if I depress any of the levers. Sounds like it's internal and not from the levers. Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions?

Geemalar
06-08-2014, 07:55 PM
My 7900 shifters do the same. They work fine, I just notice that they rattle compared to my 7800 shifters. Tech at my local shop said he's heard this on occasion.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2014, 07:14 AM
I've started to notice a rattle coming from my right shifter. It doesn't go away even if I depress any of the levers. Sounds like it's internal and not from the levers. Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions?

Campagnolo?? Just kidding...seen a couple of 7900 that rattle..might try to see if you can tighten the plate and such that secures the brake cable end...

alioup
06-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Campagnolo?? Just kidding...seen a couple of 7900 that rattle..might try to see if you can tighten the plate and such that secures the brake cable end...

I'll try that, but it sounds like some screw inside the shifter body has come loose and is just shaking around.

classtimesailer
06-09-2014, 09:46 AM
There is a lever reach adjusting screw that can be turned to take up some slack. I didn't need to adjust my reach but tightening that screw lessened the rattle in my 7900 levers.

etu
06-09-2014, 10:46 AM
last year, i installed trp brake levers and one of them rattled from the very start. everything else about was fine. after a few rides, it started driving me nuts, so i took them off to see what was going on.
turns out the clamping mechanism wasn't seated properly so that there was loose spacer/washer(?) that was the cause of the noise. more importantly, the tip of the bolt was driven into the handlebar and nearly gouging a hole in it.:eek:
cause your noise might be different, but might be worthwhile to check...
my $0.02

2wheelwill
06-09-2014, 11:21 AM
My 7900 rattle as well. Would love to hear if anyone has been able to fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris
06-09-2014, 12:13 PM
My 7900 rattle as well. Would love to hear if anyone has been able to fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. With Warranty replacement. Two of them. They were both left.