PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys take the warning stickers off new wheels?

Ralph
06-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Got some Campagnolo Zonda wheels from Ribble today (ordered this past Monday....fast service), and they have this long sticker on each wheel warning about Quick release and that brake pads wear rims, etc. Don't see why I need to leave them on. Wonder if they come off without leaving a residue behind. Not that cleaning that is a problem.

BTW wheels came in this big square sturdy wheel box. I was concerned about damage in shipping. No need for that worry. Very strong box.

JWDR
06-07-2014, 07:01 PM
I take warning stickers off of everything.

I also desticker/delogo just about everything else I can on my bike. I have no desire to be a rolling garish billboard.

zmudshark
06-07-2014, 07:47 PM
I take them off everything but my mattress. It's illegal to remove a mattress tag:rolleyes:

Anarchist
06-07-2014, 07:49 PM
I take them off everything but my mattress. It's illegal to remove a mattress tag:rolleyes:

Oh for goodness sake,

Live dangerously man!

etu
06-07-2014, 08:05 PM
i didn't realize wheels came with a warning sticker.

HenryA
06-07-2014, 08:46 PM

I pull 'em off pillows and mattresses and dare the world to stop me.

:hello:

regularguy412
06-07-2014, 08:59 PM
i didn't realize wheels came with a warning sticker.

My Eastons didn't come with warning stickers.

Mike in AR:beer:

shovelhd
06-07-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm calling the cops.

ptourkin
06-08-2014, 10:18 AM
So, it's only illegal to pull the tag off the mattress before it is sold. Reckless souls wanting to increase their scofflaw quotient may need to resort to singing Happy Birthday in public (copyright violation.)

lwkwafi
06-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Build your own wheels, and put on whatever sticker you want.

But really, they have warning stickers? Like, Warning: this is a round creature that will go fast downhills and slow up them?

Ralph
06-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Just wondered if you guys took them off. I don't mind regular stickers identifying the wheels and some of the features of Campy wheels. These were a small CYA sticker on each wheel that blended well with the Campy stickers that just said "warning....check the rims occasionally....they wear from regular braking use" or something like that. I took them off. Residue came off with some mineral spirits without hurting surface under neath the stickers. I don't see these kinds of stickers as an intrusion into my freedoms or anything. Just not necessary.

Hey.....For the price....these Zonda's look to be some amazing wheels. I prefer the steel bladed spokes over the far more expensive Shamal and Eurus with thicker aluminim bladed spokes, though they are a little lighter. LIke the fact you don't need rim strips with these wheels. They are also available with Shimano/Sram cassette bodies. Zonda's seem to be on sale in UK about everywhere. Must be a new model coming soon.

Saint Vitus
06-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Hell I rebroadcast major league sports and make DVDs of screener discs to sell at swap meets, them there mattress tags is kiddie stuff :p

I didn't have any warning stickers on my wheels when I got them, should I be concerned???

zmudshark
06-08-2014, 02:48 PM
So, it's only illegal to pull the tag off the mattress before it is sold. Reckless souls wanting to increase their scofflaw quotient may need to resort to singing Happy Birthday in public (copyright violation.)

Buzzkill!

Dead Man
06-08-2014, 03:50 PM
No... I've had a couple lightweight alum wheelsets that have had stickers covering the weld that doubled as "warning, if damaged, rim as had wear" or something like that... I leave them on, 'cause I just don't care enough to pull them off. They're not necessary- if there's been wear to the structural part of the rim, it's pretty obvious by the fact that it's WORN.. I think it's just how they justify trying to hike the weld.

I do get what the other dude said about not being a rolling billboard though. I just wear plain synthetic compression shirts and plain black shorts on the bike.. No SKY or Snickers or friggin USPS. Not wearing your ···· unless you gave it to me and are paying me to wear it, thanks! I have a couple traditional jerseys, but they're also basically plain, and I prefer the feel of compression shirts anyway. Plus... they're more aero.. so I'm curious why the sub-culture hasn't moved that way as a whole already.

I get style points. I'm just as vain as anyone. Gotta look good when you're lookin' good, right? I just don't think the rolling billboard look looks good! :p

Idris Icabod
06-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Hell I rebroadcast major league sports and make DVDs of screener discs to sell at swap meets, them there mattress tags is kiddie stuff

I just loitered.

Also I removed the label from my Shamals, they stayed true.

rzthomas
06-08-2014, 05:36 PM
I always desticker/debadge the warning stickers on whatever consumer good I purchase. I used to debadge my cars, too (Mazda RX-7s, mostly).

don'TreadOnMe
06-08-2014, 05:51 PM
How are you folks removing Campy/Fulcrum stickers?
I just tried to pull some off (fulcrum racing 3's), and man, they're really stuck.

Heat them up w/a blow dryer?
Acetone?
Brute force?

giverdada
06-08-2014, 06:33 PM
i've removed rim stickers before on rims that i built up. i don't remember the last wheels i had that thad manufacturer stickers/warning stickers on them. but to get the stickers off of rims, i've put a bunch of water in the kettle, turned it on, and when the steam is piling out, i just put the rim and sticker in the stream for a few seconds, then peel it off. no residue left behind. if there is any, maybe olive oil then windex? i guess there's always nail polish remover/acetone. good luck. sound like some nice wheels.

victoryfactory
06-09-2014, 04:29 AM
Think of the weight savings!