PDA

View Full Version : OT: LBJ and cramps

etu
06-07-2014, 11:46 AM
LeBron James is getting some serious flak for not being tough enough to play through cramps. I've been a bit flabbergasted by this response from the general public. Do people not know how excruciatingly painful and debilitating whole leg cramps can be? The couple of times I have had really bad ones, it hurt so much I almost fell off the bike before I came to a stop and I had to really dissociate myself to deal with pain, and no, I couldn't stretch it out since both the quads and hamstrings were in spasm at the same time. I eventually finished the ride after a some rest, salt and hydration, but I was soft-pedaling the whole way.
I am not a LBJ fan or hater, but I definitely sympathized with his pain.

93legendti
06-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Any soldier with 30kg on his back in 37 C would think LBJ is a baby...

Isiah playing with bad ankle....

http://blog.detroitathletic.com/2014/04/16/isiahs-heroics-nearly-brought-detroit-pistons-bad-boys-first-nba-title-1988/

bobswire
06-07-2014, 12:00 PM
I was curious about a post titled Lyndon Baines Johnson (36th) President and cramps.

Anyway back at the ranch, I watched that game and anyone who feels James was not tough enough is clueless. He was in pain for most of the last quarter until he could not even take a step. He has not got to where he is today by being "not tough enough". He's one if not the toughest most dominating player in the game today. BTW I'm Warriors fan.

gdw
06-07-2014, 12:06 PM
"I was curious about a post titled Lyndon Baines Johnson (36th) President and cramps."

+1

bobswire
06-07-2014, 12:11 PM
"I was curious about a post titled Lyndon Baines Johnson (36th) President and cramps."

+1

Perhaps showing our age?:eek:

Climb01742
06-07-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm guessing that lebron and wade now wish they hadn't made fun of dirk nowitzki for being sick in game 5 in 2011 finals.

Lebron is a great player and cramps can be killers but you can't be a crybaby your whole career, do 'the decision' and now whine that you're 'the easiest target in sports' and expect people to cut you slack.

Two things can be true at once: great athletic talent doesn't make you an admirable player. Oh how I'd love to see the heat play the bad boy pistons or pat riley's knicks. Charles Oakley or bill laimbeer would have schooled lebron on what real fouls are.

Web1111a
06-07-2014, 02:15 PM

+1

My first thoughts exactly

jr59
06-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Any soldier with 30kg on his back in 37 C would think LBJ is a baby...

Isiah playing with bad ankle....

http://blog.detroitathletic.com/2014/04/16/isiahs-heroics-nearly-brought-detroit-pistons-bad-boys-first-nba-title-1988/

Kind of funny, Isiah seems not to agree with you;
http://www.freep.com/article/20140606/SPORTS03/306060107/lebron-james-cramps-isiah-thomas

I'm guessing that lebron and wade now wish they hadn't made fun of dirk nowitzki for being sick in game 5 in 2011 finals.

Lebron is a great player and cramps can be killers but you can't be a crybaby your whole career, do 'the decision' and now whine that you're 'the easiest target in sports' and expect people to cut you slack.

Two things can be true at once: great athletic talent doesn't make you an admirable player. Oh how I'd love to see the heat play the bad boy pistons or pat riley's knicks. Charles Oakley or bill laimbeer would have schooled lebron on what real fouls are.

There is a LOT of difference in being sick and what happened the other night.

LeBron himself calls himself the easiest target in sports, so I don't think he is worried about it at all. There was no crying about it at all. Just a statement of fact! BTW; You don't think ALL the great players of old, cried for the calls? REALLY? No chance, they all did. For the last 30 years they have, nothing new here.
2. What did the decision hurt? It only helped the Boys and Girls club of Arkon, as all profits from said show went there.
3. The NBA is different now, it's call differently, but that really doesn't matter, b/c players will adjust to how the game/season is called. Laimbeer and Oakly would be made to defend in space and be made to look foolish for their lack of quickness. As I said, the game is different!

bikinchris
06-07-2014, 02:42 PM

I will never give LeBron any slack. Get up and get back in the game. I have had cramps in 37 years of riding. Unless you just can't move anymore, THAT'S what they pay the big bucks for, LeBron. He cries about every foul and whines about everything else. If you are so great that you can predict "Not 5, not 6, not 7" championships, you better man up and play like it. Bleeding, broken bones, none of that should matter. Get up and get back in the game, jerk. I notice the difference between how the press treated him before and after "The Decision." I agree

Oh yea, quit drinking PowerAde.

bikerboy337
06-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Is the NBA still on? Hadn't noticed.

LJs got nothing on Hoogerland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93legendti
06-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Jack Youngblood had guts:

"One of the athletic feats for which Youngblood is best known, is that of playing the entire 1979 playoffs, including Super Bowl XIV, with a fractured left fibula.[25] He also played in the 1980 Pro Bowl with the injured leg, a week after the Super Bowl.[26] In the playoffs, Youngblood sacked Dallas Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach near the sideline in the waning moments of the divisional playoff game versus the Cowboys.[27] Playing with the fractured leg was noted by Sports Illustrated in their Top 10 list of athletes playing in pain.[28] For that and other achievements Jack was dubbed the “John Wayne of football” by Jim Hanifan and echoed by Hall of Fame coach John Madden.[29] The NFL Network series NFL Top 10 selected Youngblood's performance in the 1979 playoffs as top on its list of the “Gutsiest Performances″ of all-time.[30]"

Hey Lebron, can you see yourself on this list?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/scorecard/10/19/top10.playing.with.pain/index.html

FlashUNC
06-07-2014, 03:24 PM
He's best player on only the third team in NBA history to make four straight Finals. In between he was the best player on an Olympic team that won a gold medal, beating a feisty Spainish team. He's been the best player on the planet for a decade. This is legitimately the first time he's appeared human on the basketball court, and isn't the first time he's dealt with cramps in a playoff game.

And if the Heat win Game 2 and steal home court, this is all moot.

This whole "GOTTA TOUGHEN UP DERP DERP DERP" is asinine.

bingomck
06-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I will never give LeBron any slack. Get up and get back in the game. I have had cramps in 37 years of riding. Unless you just can't move anymore, THAT'S what they pay the big bucks for, LeBron. He cries about every foul and whines about everything else. If you are so great that you can predict "Not 5, not 6, not 7" championships, you better man up and play like it. Bleeding, broken bones, none of that should matter. Get up and get back in the game, jerk. I notice the difference between how the press treated him before and after "The Decision." I agree

Oh yea, quit drinking PowerAde.

What? I hope this is sarcasm?

bikinchris
06-07-2014, 03:48 PM
What? I hope this is sarcasm?

Only a little. :)

firerescuefin
06-07-2014, 04:19 PM
This.

Spoelstra kept him from going back in the game….rightfully so. It's a seven game series, and he is the best player in the world….as well as the most freakish athlete I have ever seen.

All accounts is that he is a very good human being. He made a bad choice doing the whole "decision". BTW, before the show, he had already agreed to pay all the proceeds to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. So the vitriol/ hostility shown to this guy is frankly getting pretty old. Would love to hold some of you to the same standard.

FWIW…Don't like/root for the Heat. San Antonio is my second favorite team.

He's best player on only the third team in NBA history to make four straight Finals. In between he was the best player on an Olympic team that won a gold medal, beating a feisty Spainish team. He's been the best player on the planet for a decade. This is legitimately the first time he's appeared human on the basketball court, and isn't the first time he's dealt with cramps in a playoff game.

jr59
06-07-2014, 04:58 PM

correct

This.

Spoelstra kept him from going back in the game….rightfully so. It's a seven game series, and he is the best player in the world….as well as the most freakish athlete I have ever seen.

All accounts is that he is a very good human being. He made a bad choice doing the whole "decision". BTW, before the show, he had already agreed to pay all the proceeds to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. So the vitriol/ hostility shown to this guy is frankly getting pretty old. Would love to hold some of you to the same standard.

FWIW…Don't like/root for the Heat. San Antonio is my second favorite team.

and correct again

paulh
06-07-2014, 05:07 PM
LBJ DID have cramps.

sfscott
06-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Jack Youngblood had guts:

"One of the athletic feats for which Youngblood is best known, is that of playing the entire 1979 playoffs, including Super Bowl XIV, with a fractured left fibula.[25] He also played in the 1980 Pro Bowl with the injured leg, a week after the Super Bowl.[26] In the playoffs, Youngblood sacked Dallas Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach near the sideline in the waning moments of the divisional playoff game versus the Cowboys.[27] Playing with the fractured leg was noted by Sports Illustrated in their Top 10 list of athletes playing in pain.[28] For that and other achievements Jack was dubbed the “John Wayne of football” by Jim Hanifan and echoed by Hall of Fame coach John Madden.[29] The NFL Network series NFL Top 10 selected Youngblood's performance in the 1979 playoffs as top on its list of the “Gutsiest Performances″ of all-time.[30]"

Hey Lebron, can you see yourself on this list?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/scorecard/10/19/top10.playing.with.pain/index.html
Played a football game on two broken ankles back in the day.

Rada
06-07-2014, 05:52 PM
LBJ DID have cramps.

Yup, and still managed to pick the pup up.

http://cf.badassdigest.com/_uploads/images/13778/lbjdogs__span.jpg

roydyates
06-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Kind of funny, Isiah seems not to agree with you;
http://www.freep.com/article/20140606/SPORTS03/306060107/lebron-james-cramps-isiah-thomas

There is a LOT of difference in being sick and what happened the other night.

LeBron himself calls himself the easiest target in sports, so I don't think he is worried about it at all. There was no crying about it at all. Just a statement of fact! BTW; You don't think ALL the great players of old, cried for the calls? REALLY? No chance, they all did. For the last 30 years they have, nothing new here.
2. What did the decision hurt? It only helped the Boys and Girls club of Arkon, as all profits from said show went there.
3. The NBA is different now, it's call differently, but that really doesn't matter, b/c players will adjust to how the game/season is called. Laimbeer and Oakly would be made to defend in space and be made to look foolish for their lack of quickness. As I said, the game is different!

+1 x 3 = +3

Climb01742
06-07-2014, 08:21 PM
My point wasn't that having a 100+ fever and trying to play is like being dehydrated and cramping and trying to play. They aren't. And I don't fault lebron for not going back in.

What I do fault him for is, along with wade, acting like spoiled, entitled high school kids for making fun of dirk for saying he was having a hard time playing in 2011. They showed dirk zero sympathy, empathy and class. Now lebron wants us all to understand his plight and sympathize with him. He wants what he wouldn't give another athlete in the finals. Pretty hypocritical, no?

Lebron is a great athlete but every time a ref calls a foul on him, he gets this look like, do you know who I am? How dare you call me for a foul.

We each can see lebron how we feel is right. I see him as a small character with huge talent. Not saying he isn't a great player. Just kind of a jerk.

enr1co
06-07-2014, 08:54 PM
is the nba still on? Hadn't noticed. +1

ljs got nothing on hoogerland +2

bcm119
06-07-2014, 09:18 PM
don't know anything about Lebron or basketball, but in my experience most people don't know what cramps are. If your calf or ham or quad locks up it seems like it would be impossible to play basketball. Being a tough guy or tolerating pain has nothing to do with it.

bingomck
06-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Only a little. :)

Roger that =)

oldpotatoe
06-08-2014, 06:49 AM
sumthin else..I was wondering why LBJ had cramps and why anybody.....ohhh

jr59
06-09-2014, 05:03 AM

good call here....35 and 10 and a road victory makes that first game moot!

Now, back to the Heat's home.

FlashUNC
06-09-2014, 07:30 AM
good call here....35 and 10 and a road victory makes that first game moot!

Now, back to the Heat's home.

I'm not LeBron fan by any stretch, but you gotta tip your hat to the guy at some point. That game last night was a thing of beauty from him. If he could hit a shot in the first quarter, he might have dropped 45 or 50.

cfox
06-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Most of the people accusing him of wimping out are guys calling in to sports radio; that should tell you something. The analogies are hilarious; "I played through cramps in the big game vs. central high!!!" Save it fat boy. This is uber elite athletics. A truly cramped leg renders someone like LeBron useless. It's not a matter of "playing through the pain", it's more akin to playing with your legs tied together. His coach wisely kept him on the bench.

tv_vt
06-09-2014, 10:11 AM
I read a bit about LBJ's cramps in Game 1 and that he had to be carried off the court.

Yesterday I rode 106 miles with 6500 feet of climbing in 85 degree heat and then drove home two hours with only a beer right after the ride and an Orangina and a bag of sour cream-cheddar potato chips about halfway home.

When I got out of my car in the driveway, both of my hamstrings locked up so tight I could barely move. I managed to stand up, but had to lean against the car. My wife came up and I couldn't answer her questions, couldn't see straight, and finally threw up the whole bag of chips and ended up on my hands and knees, where finally I came back to my senses and the cramps let go. She thought I was having a stroke.

I will never again make light of someone having serious leg cramps. That was not fun.

etu
06-09-2014, 10:39 AM
I read a bit about LBJ's cramps in Game 1 and that he had to be carried off the court.

Yesterday I rode 106 miles with 6500 feet of climbing in 85 degree heat and then drove home two hours with only a beer right after the ride and an Orangina and a bag of sour cream-cheddar potato chips about halfway home.

When I got out of my car in the driveway, both of my hamstrings locked up so tight I could barely move. I managed to stand up, but had to lean against the car. My wife came up and I couldn't answer her questions, couldn't see straight, and finally threw up the whole bag of chips and ended up on my hands and knees, where finally I came back to my senses and the cramps let go. She thought I was having a stroke.

I will never again make light of someone having serious leg cramps. That was not fun.

when i started this thread, i must admit i thought more of us would have had this type of experience to cut lebron some slack, but i maybe not. And pro sports is entertainment after all, so all is fair game. :)

FlashUNC
06-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Mine was a team time trial in college. Quads and calves totally locked up in the last two miles. Couldn't even unclip. Had to just fall into the grass at the side of the road. Absolute agony.

thunderworks
06-09-2014, 12:22 PM

A couple of years ago I cramped during a long ride. The temperature on the road according to my Garmin was 108. I hurt so badly I could barely get off my bike without falling over. It took 10 minutes of standing motionless before I could swing a leg over the bike and actually fully dismount from the bike. My calves cramped. My quads cramped. My hamstrings were on fire. I will absolutely NEVER give someone ····, at any level of endeavor who, quits the effort because of cramps. I was bruised for a week from the cramps - worst pain experience of my life.

merlinmurph
06-09-2014, 12:31 PM

This was exactly my view, too. Cramps are an involuntary action. Get them bad enough, and you simply cannot move. It's not a matter being a tough guy, it's a matter of not being able to play effectively. If you want to put LBJ out there and stand in one spot, that's fine, but I think it would more effective to put someone out there that can actually, like, move.

Murph (who totally cramped up at about mile 35 of the VT50 once and just stood there trying to figure out what to do next - kinda funny now)

bikinchris
06-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Most of the people accusing him of wimping out are guys calling in to sports radio; that should tell you something. The analogies are hilarious; "I played through cramps in the big game vs. central high!!!" Save it fat boy. This is uber elite athletics. A truly cramped leg renders someone like LeBron useless. It's not a matter of "playing through the pain", it's more akin to playing with your legs tied together. His coach wisely kept him on the bench.

His cramps were because of not being ready. When you know the A/C is broken, you have to hydrate. He was just not prepared. Imagine if he was playing in the Boston Gardens of the 70's. 100+ degree heat and the other team is used to it.

DukeHorn
06-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Cramps are painful BUT I think the criticism is there are a bunch of 35+ year old players not suffering from cramps playing in the series and LeBron seemingly can't pace himself in a hot environment.

What kind of brain-cramp do you need to wear long compression tights in a game when the AC unit is out? Use your brain, go to the locker room and take off the damn tights.

He's getting flack because no one else was stupid enough to wear full length compression tights and a compression shirt (or if they were, they at least didn't cramp up to take themselves out of the game).

jr59
06-09-2014, 03:42 PM
His cramps were because of not being ready. When you know the A/C is broken, you have to hydrate. He was just not prepared. Imagine if he was playing in the Boston Gardens of the 70's. 100+ degree heat and the other team is used to it.

That's funny thing. The AC quit during the game. Excatly how do you prepare for something like that? You can drink all you wish during the game, take IVs at halftime and he did. But no way to prepare for that.

His body is disposed to cramping, it's not the first time it's happened, he prepared for a normal temp in the arena. The ac broke during the game. Kind of tough to prepare for. BTW; He is not the only player who's body is like this in the NBA. Just the only one playing that night.

Can someone please tell me what LeBron James has done in his career to deserve this type of hate? The decision? All proceeds went to the boys and girls club of Akron. Not 1, not 2, not 3....? Do you want your star player to feel any other way? REALLY?
He has taken less money to play with Bosh and Wade. He didn't hold out for the last dollar. He plays well with his teammates, by that I mean he differs to them more than he should. Just look at his shots per game. He defends both on the floor and his coach off the floor. In other words, he's not a coach killer. He plays HARD all the time, on both ends of the floor. He has never had trouble with the law, and the few problems he has run into were handled privately. As they should be. Yet he is a LOT of peoples fav target for hate. I really don't understand at all.

P.S. If you are a Cavs fan, I get it.

firerescuefin
06-09-2014, 06:25 PM

I think your understanding of cramps...the hereditary component as well as the physiology....is lacking. If it was that easy, it wouldn't of happened.

DukeHorn
06-10-2014, 12:52 AM
I think your understanding of cramps...the hereditary component as well as the physiology....is lacking. If it was that easy, it wouldn't of happened.

And I'm sure the fact that LeBron was armored up in his compression outfit was a mistake. In fact, he knew it was which is why he came out in Game 2 without his typical compression gear.

bikinchris
06-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Looks like best team is going to win the NBA championships, not the best player.

93legendti
06-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Looks like best team is going to win the NBA championships, not the best player.

With the best coach....

Tim Duncan is what, 38 yrs old? Can't be easy hauling his 6'10" carcass up and down the court for all these seasons and playoff minutes. So nice seeing a complete team play and win rather than a collection of assembled stars often playing one on one...the secondary benefit of all that passing (besides the offensive efficiency) is they are wearing the Heat out on defense, leaving them less energy for offense.

FlashUNC
06-14-2014, 11:51 AM
With the best coach....

Tim Duncan is what, 38 yrs old? Can't be easy hauling his 6'10" carcass up and down the court for all these seasons and playoff minutes. So nice seeing a complete team play and win rather than a collection of assembled stars often playing one on one...the secondary benefit of all that passing (besides the offensive efficiency) is they are wearing the Heat out on defense, leaving them less energy for offense.

Not sure you've seen the Heat play all that much if that's what you think they do.

bikinchris
06-14-2014, 12:00 PM
The Spurs are setting records for offensive efficiency. They will likely set a series and NBA record. Not bad for a team with no supersrars. Don't forget Tim Duncan has bone on bone in both knees. He may retire after this year.

firerescuefin
06-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Tim Duncan has bone on bone in both knees. He may retire after this year.

Doesn't have arthritic knees. Has battled tendonosis and some foot issues. If he retires this year, it won't be because he can't go anymore.

93legendti
06-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Not sure you've seen th,e Heat play all that much if that's what you think they do.

I am watching this series. Maybe you're not? How many shots did Bosh have in game 3 where the Heat lost by ~20 pts? 4?
Generally, teams playing good team basketball don't lose by 20 pts, at home, in back to back games. Of course, I could be wrong...

jlwdm
06-14-2014, 03:24 PM
The Heat are losing to a team that plays team basketball, and then are talking this week about trying to get Carmello Anthony next year. Haven't they learned anything?

Not that the Heat still don't have a chance to win.

Jeff

Climb01742
06-14-2014, 04:24 PM
A telling detail I think...

After losing in the Finals last year, the Spurs did not add a single player to their rooster. Instead they recommitted themselves to the team they have, the system they play, and the principles of selflessness, passing, teamwork and humility.

Now this week, as the Heat face elimination, they let it leak that their response is to try to add another superstar. But not just any star, a player who seems to epitomize the me-first, what have you done for me lately, I'll pout if I don't get my touches, could you please explain to me what this thing you call 'a pass' is attitude. Pursuing Melo feels like it says a lot about what the Heat value.

It's so sweet to watch how the Spurs play and to see what's good about team sports be rewarded.

spartanKid
06-14-2014, 04:26 PM
The Spurs are setting records for offensive efficiency. They will likely set a series and NBA record. Not bad for a team with no supersrars.

Tim Duncan isn't a superstar? Manu Ginobli isn't a superstar? Tony Parker isn't a superstar? c'mon, all three will likely be in the HoF with Pop.

jr59
06-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Wow, some of you guys are in the wrong job. You should be NBA GMs.

Seeing as you know more than Pat Riley.
Oh yea, here is what Pat Riley has done;

Widely regarded as one of the greatest NBA coaches of all time, Riley has served as the head coach of five championship teams and an assistant coach to another. He was named NBA Coach of the Year three times (1989–90, 1992–93 and 1996–97, as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks and Miami Heat, respectively). He was head coach of an NBA All-Star Game team nine times: eight times with the Western Conference team (1982, 1983, 1985–1990, all as head coach of the Lakers) and once with the Eastern team (1993, as head coach of the Knicks). In 1996 he was named one of the 10 Greatest Coaches in the NBA history. As a player, he played for the Los Angeles Lakers' championship team in 1972. Riley most recently won the 2012 and 2013 NBA championships with the Miami Heat as their team president. He is the first North American sports figure to win a championship as a player, coach (both assistant and head), and executive. He received the Chuck Daly Lifetime Achievement Award from the NBA Coaches Association on June 20, 2012.

FlashUNC
06-14-2014, 07:24 PM
A telling detail I think...

After losing in the Finals last year, the Spurs did not add a single player to their rooster. Instead they recommitted themselves to the team they have, the system they play, and the principles of selflessness, passing, teamwork and humility.

Now this week, as the Heat face elimination, they let it leak that their response is to try to add another superstar. But not just any star, a player who seems to epitomize the me-first, what have you done for me lately, I'll pout if I don't get my touches, could you please explain to me what this thing you call 'a pass' is attitude. Pursuing Melo feels like it says a lot about what the Heat value.

It's so sweet to watch how the Spurs play and to see what's good about team sports be rewarded.

Spurs had good reason for that approach. Ginobili wasn't healthy in the Finals. Parker was banged up.

Despite that, the team still was 5 seconds away from the title. Only took the greatest three point shooter in league history making the greatest play ever after a 50/50 rebound.

Easy to stand pat when you've got a title locked up, and Lady Luck just snatches it away.

This whole "The Heat are selfish" narrative is nonsense. All of the Big Three left money on the table to build a team together. Their assist ratio this year was fourth in the league. LeBron is the consummate team player. He's this surreal hybrid of Jordan and Magic that always makes the right play, gets his teammates involved and happens to have the deepest skill set around. How many times has he kicked to Bosh in the corner for a three or Wade or someone else for the big shot as time expires? A fair bit.

They'd want Melo for a simple reason: When he's on, he's one of the two or three best scorers in the world. Wade's breaking down. Bosh can't consistently carry that load. Melo showed what he can do when he's asked to be a second banana on the US Olympic team. He was an incredible assassin in Beijing. USA Basketball doesn't win gold without him acting like the three point line in the Olympics was a pop-a-shot.

bikinchris
06-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Wow, some of you guys are in the wrong job. You should be NBA GMs.

Seeing as you know more than Pat Riley.
Oh yea, here is what Pat Riley has done;

Widely regarded as one of the greatest NBA coaches of all time, Riley has served as the head coach of five championship teams and an assistant coach to another. He was named NBA Coach of the Year three times (1989–90, 1992–93 and 1996–97, as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks and Miami Heat, respectively). He was head coach of an NBA All-Star Game team nine times: eight times with the Western Conference team (1982, 1983, 1985–1990, all as head coach of the Lakers) and once with the Eastern team (1993, as head coach of the Knicks). In 1996 he was named one of the 10 Greatest Coaches in the NBA history. As a player, he played for the Los Angeles Lakers' championship team in 1972. Riley most recently won the 2012 and 2013 NBA championships with the Miami Heat as their team president. He is the first North American sports figure to win a championship as a player, coach (both assistant and head), and executive. He received the Chuck Daly Lifetime Achievement Award from the NBA Coaches Association on June 20, 2012.

And yet, he has a team of young stars and he us losing to a bunch of old dudes. Many of them were playing pro ball before LeBron James entered high school.
Honestly, the real reason the Spurs are doing so well is that they are playing totally unselfish team centered basketball. Everyone is totally committed to the team.

Climb01742
06-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Part of the beauty of sports is we can root for the teams we like. May we each find a team that plays what is in our eyes a beautiful game.

harlond
06-14-2014, 08:11 PM
And yet, he has a team of young stars and he us losing to a bunch of old dudes. Many of them were playing pro ball before LeBron James entered high school.
Honestly, the real reason the Spurs are doing so well is that they are playing totally unselfish team centered basketball. Everyone is totally committed to the team.According to basketball-reference.com, the average age of the Heat is 2 years older than the Spurs. Wade is 32 with 50 year old knees. Bosh is 29, not old, but not young for the NBA, and too old to bang in the middle (as he himself says). Lebron also is 29, and still great. But Allen, Battier, Haslem, Birdman, this simply is not a young team.

The Spurs are a great team with great players (including perhaps the greatest power forward in history) and great role players all playing at the top of their games. That's why they're winning (and it's beautiful to watch). Has nothing to do with the Heat playing selfish. The Heat aren't all of a sudden selfish because Kawhi Leonard is playing out of his head.

jlwdm
06-14-2014, 11:06 PM
?. Bosh is 29, not old, but not young for the NBA, and too old to bang in the middle (as he himself says)... .

Too old to bang in the middle? Not really. He just was never a player to bang in the middle.

Jeff

93legendti
06-16-2014, 01:53 AM
All those great players AND Pat Riley and another blowout victory for the Spurs?

Where's Randolph and Mortimer Duke?
Turn the scoreboard and clock back on. Get those players out for a 5th period. Turn those machines back on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B71HytDmEso&sns=em

Climb01742
06-16-2014, 05:32 AM
Sweet. Man, that was sweet.

verticaldoug
06-16-2014, 06:16 AM
I bet LBJ is using creatine.

FlashUNC
06-16-2014, 07:25 AM
Greatest team offensive performance in Finals history. Unreal.

Shame LeBron's back to where he was with the 2010 Cavs. Had to get more out of Wade -- who's breaking down like the Nazi at the end of Last Crusade -- and Bosh and the Heat's awful PG situation.

He couldn't have done much more in this series, and he papers over a lot of the team's weaknesses. The Spurs were just an unstoppable offensive buzzsaw this series.

Rada
06-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Biggest finals point differential in NBA history.

firerescuefin
06-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Greatest team offensive performance in Finals history. Unreal.

Shame LeBron's back to where he was with the 2010 Cavs. Had to get more out of Wade -- who's breaking down like the Nazi at the end of Last Crusade -- and Bosh and the Heat's awful PG situation.

He couldn't have done much more in this series, and he papers over a lot of the team's weaknesses. The Spurs were just an unstoppable offensive buzzsaw this series.

Average win was by over 14 ppg.

Pop is the greatest pro coach I have ever seen. His ability to tweak/bring in the right type of guy (having input with the GM), get guys to buy in, manage minutes, and motivate when it matters most is getting overlooked by the media. This is much more than a team that passes really well. The foundation of this team extends 100 ft below the surface.

FlashUNC
06-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Average win was by over 14 ppg.

Pop is the greatest pro coach I have ever seen. His ability to tweak/bring in the right type of guy (having input with the GM), get guys to buy in, manage minutes, and motivate when it matters most is getting overlooked by the media. This is much more than a team that passes really well. The foundation of this team extends 100 ft below the surface.

Pop's always been playing chess when everyone else has been playing checkers. I remember one Hawks game I was at where Tony Parker went off for about 45 points. Spurs just continued to run the same play over and over and over -- backdoor screen for Parker with a cut to the basket after a 1-5 pick and roll with Duncan to get Josh Smith to switch onto Parker. I swear they ran the play about 12 times in a row and Mike Woodson, then Hawks coach, did nothing to adjust or try to fix it.

I hate Mike Woodson.

Climb01742
06-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Another aspect of a team game that the Spurs excel at, where few other NBA teams do, is having high quality role players 13 deep. Most teams go maybe 9 or 10 deep if they can. Having 13 quality guys allows you to do so much as far as managing minutes, getting good match ups and going up tempo/high motors for 48 minutes. But, having 13 deep quality is only possible if you manage the cap right and have guys like Duncan willing to play for $10.7 mil this year. When the end of your rooster is filled out by league minimum guys you get league minimum play. It's truly amazing how well the Spurs manage just about every detail of the game.

As great as Lebron is, a rooster that devotes virtually everything to a handful of stars will, in the long run, come up short at the end of the bench at the end of games.

jlwdm
06-16-2014, 11:22 AM
...Had to get more out of Wade -- who's breaking down like the Nazi at the end of Last Crusade --...

It is sad to watch Wade. He just can't make any moves.

Back in the day with Shaq that one year Wade decided he was going to put the team on his back and he did. No sign of that player anymore.

Jeff

norcalbiker
06-16-2014, 11:38 AM
You got to love the Spurs. Pop been fined so many times this season for not playing his big three and this is why. He knows that his players are old so they need their legs when playoff comes. I remember Sir Charles saying that Spurs are too old to run with young teams.

I felt bad LBJ for not having any help.

FlashUNC
06-16-2014, 11:48 AM
It is sad to watch Wade. He just can't make any moves.

Back in the day with Shaq that one year Wade decided he was going to put the team on his back and he did. No sign of that player anymore.

Jeff

Tom Haberstroh at ESPN calculated the Big Three for Miami have played 10,000 more aggregate minutes over the last four years than San Antonio's Big Three in that same time period.

That kinda thing catches up to you. Miami clearly needs some new blood on the roster -- a better rim protector, better rebounding and a point guard who isn't completely terrible. I'm sure Riley & Co have a plan, but its going to be way tougher to keep this going even if they convince LeBron to stay. (Would Wade opt out and leave money on the table at this point in his career? I doubt it.)

spartanKid
06-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Another aspect of a team game that the Spurs excel at, where few other NBA teams do, is having high quality role players 13 deep. Most teams go maybe 9 or 10 deep if they can. Having 13 quality guys allows you to do so much as far as managing minutes, getting good match ups and going up tempo/high motors for 48 minutes. But, having 13 deep quality is only possible if you manage the cap right and have guys like Duncan willing to play for $10.7 mil this year. When the end of your rooster is filled out by league minimum guys you get league minimum play. It's truly amazing how well the Spurs manage just about every detail of the game.

As great as Lebron is, a rooster that devotes virtually everything to a handful of stars will, in the long run, come up short at the end of the bench at the end of games.

This series and bench comparison feels very much like the 2004 Pistons vs Lakers. Lakers started 5 future HOFers and the series played out nearly identically.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk