PDA

View Full Version : De Rosa original or repaint?

DCilliams
06-07-2014, 06:09 AM
There's a De Rosa on eBay advertised in pristine condition and as a Professional, not a Primato. What say the De Rosa aficionados?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/De-Rosa-Pro-Frame-Fork-EL-OS-55-square/171310553291?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1% 26asc%3D22948%26meid%3D7449008028142969163%26pid%3 D100033%26prg%3D9894%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D171 310553291

sante pollastri
06-07-2014, 07:57 AM
wonderful!
it's a primato and is not repainted.

DCilliams
06-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Is the price a bit high?

DCilliams
06-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Is Columbus El Os highly regarded?

bobswire
06-07-2014, 08:14 AM
I believe I saw that frame hanging at the Bike Nook awhile back. I had the same decal on the seat tube of my Della Santa.

LouDeeter
06-07-2014, 09:37 AM
I believe EL OS was one of the best Columbus tubesets ever. Just wish this bike had a flat crown fork, but probably doesn't really matter for the ride. Also don't like the location of the Bike Nook decal, would definitely have to pull out the hair dryer to try to take it off. But, if there is fade, it will show under the decal.

bobswire
06-07-2014, 09:44 AM
I believe EL OS was one of the best Columbus tubesets ever. Just wish this bike had a flat crown fork, but probably doesn't really matter for the ride. Also don't like the location of the Bike Nook decal, would definitely have to pull out the hair dryer to try to take it off. But, if there is fade, it will show under the decal.

That Bike Nook decal is original, Len only placed it in that exact location on frames he sold and built up. I would leave it as it's part of the history of where the frame was originally sold. For those wondering the Bike Nook was a true "road riders" shop for over 30 years in San Francisco that sadly closed their doors this January.

jr59
06-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Is Columbus El Os highly regarded?

yes it is!

I believe EL OS was one of the best Columbus tubesets ever.

I would agree with this 100%

That bike is going to ride VERY nice

maj
06-07-2014, 05:49 PM
That Bike Nook decal is original, Len only placed it in that exact location on frames he sold and built up. I would leave it as it's part of the history of where the frame was originally sold. For those wondering the Bike Nook was a true "road riders" shop for over 30 years in San Francisco that sadly closed their doors this January.

Isn't there normally a rose "tramp stamp" decal right where that shop decal was placed. It'd be shame if there was one and it got got covered.

cbresciani
06-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Isn't there normally a rose "tramp stamp" decal right where that shop decal was placed. It'd be shame if there was one and it got got covered.

Yes there is, mine has a "tramp stamp" in that location.:)

zmudshark
06-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Not always, but more often than not.

I think I may know they guy who had that before the present owner, and maybe the guy before that, too.

Nags&Ducs
06-08-2014, 03:42 AM
I believe I saw that frame hanging at the Bike Nook awhile back. I had the same decal on the seat tube of my Della Santa.

Hey Bob, thanks for your post. I'm Assuming that in your opinion, it is
probably an original? Do you recall how long ago you saw it at Bike Nook?

This was one of the frames I was considering but when others here questioned the paint/repaint, I kind of dropped it from consideration. May have to reconsider if it is original. Although, I love the red (Faema red being my fav DR paint scheme) I can't decide if I want it over the micah white Primato, owned by one of our illustrious members. ;)

Nags&Ducs
06-08-2014, 04:46 AM

Ok, I know this has been brought up before (probably by me on more than one occasion :)) but what about comparing the EL OS to the Dedaccai Zero Uno of the newer Neo Primatos??? How noticeable a difference is there in ride quality? How much of a pricing premium would you place on an EL OS frameset over an NP?

yes it is!

I would agree with this 100%

That bike is going to ride VERY nice

And I agree too, that EL OS is an incredible ride. I have an EL OS Mondonico wishbone stay bike that is probably my fav of all time, bUt I have a Nemo tubed Tommasini that is also a stellar ride. Once I get my De Rosa, I'll be completed and done buying steel.

sante pollastri
06-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Ok, I know this has been brought up before (probably by me on more than one occasion :)) but what about comparing the EL OS to the Dedaccai Zero Uno of the newer Neo Primatos??? How noticeable a difference is there in ride quality? How much of a pricing premium would you place on an EL OS frameset over an NP?

And I agree too, that EL OS is an incredible ride. I have an EL OS Mondonico wishbone stay bike that is probably my fav of all time, bUt I have a Nemo tubed Tommasini that is also a stellar ride. Once I get my De Rosa, I'll be completed and done buying steel.

I agree,zero uno are better than el os,and in general I prefer dedacciai to columbus,another quality ride.

oldpotatoe
06-08-2014, 07:29 AM

Had a Primato with EL-OS and a Merckx Corsa 01 with Dedaccai ZeroUno.

So much was different from one to the other(same size tho-58cm), hard to compare. Flat vs sloping fork crown, Diamante stays VS round...BUT I preferred the ride of the DeRosa. But preferred the ride of a DeRosa Giro and Mondonico, both with Neuron tubsets, the most. But all are second to MXLeaders..old and new, last run MXLeaders(I have one of each)..

Nags&Ducs
06-08-2014, 08:52 AM
I agree,zero uno are better than el os,and in general I prefer dedacciai to columbus,another quality ride.

Sante, thanks for your inputs. It surprises me actually, since the consensus here was Columbus over Dedacciai, ELOS over Zero Uno.

Had a Primato with EL-OS and a Merckx Corsa 01 with Dedaccai ZeroUno.

So much was different from one to the other(same size tho-58cm), hard to compare. Flat vs sloping fork crown, Diamante stays VS round...BUT I preferred the ride of the DeRosa. But preferred the ride of a DeRosa Giro and Mondonico, both with Neuron tubsets, the most. But all are second to MXLeaders..old and new, last run MXLeaders(I have one of each)..

Peter, do you think your preference of ELOS over ZU had more to do with Primato over Corsa 01? What is it about MX Leaders that is so good?

texbike
06-08-2014, 09:01 AM
This was one of the frames I was considering but when others here questioned the paint/repaint, I kind of dropped it from consideration. May have to reconsider if it is original.

I'm still not sure that this bike is wearing its original paint. Has anyone here seen a catalog or other picture of an original paint Primato that was missing the Primato decals like the one in the ebay link? Why in the world would De Rosa send its top model out the door without identifying decals?

As for the Bike Nook decal, I've stopped into the store a few times over the years and on a couple of occasions they had used bikes for sale. One of which was a really nice Mondonico Futura. Guess what? It had a Bike Nook sticker on it. So, my point with that is a Bike Nook sticker is not a guarantee of original paint. Also, that is bad placement of the sticker since a lot of Primatos had the "tramp stamp" of the rose right in that same spot. Although it would be great to keep the sticker of such a historical shop, I'd personally rather have the De Rosa decal showing (it if is actually there).

Not that it matters anyway. The bike is clearly a Primato, it looks sharp, and would probably be an incredible ride. Go for it!

Texbike

jr59
06-08-2014, 09:14 AM
I think it is somewhat clear, that the design of the frame has more to do with how it rides, than the tubbing. Given that you are comparing high end tubbing to other high end tubbing, and not just high ten type stuff.

Just look at; http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=149827

or; http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=149785

bobswire
06-08-2014, 09:53 AM
I'm still not sure that this bike is wearing its original paint. Has anyone here seen a catalog or other picture of an original paint Primato that was missing the Primato decals like the one in the ebay link? Why in the world would De Rosa send its top model out the door without identifying decals?

As for the Bike Nook decal, I've stopped into the store a few times over the years and on a couple of occasions they had used bikes for sale. One of which was a really nice Mondonico Futura. Guess what? It had a Bike Nook sticker on it. So, my point with that is a Bike Nook sticker is not a guarantee of original paint. Also, that is bad placement of the sticker since a lot of Primatos had the "tramp stamp" of the rose right in that same spot. Although it would be great to keep the sticker of such a historical shop, I'd personally rather have the De Rosa decal showing (it if is actually there).

Not that it matters anyway. The bike is clearly a Primato, it looks sharp, and would probably be an incredible ride. Go for it!

Texbike

I've known Len the proprietor of the Bike Nook for over 20 years and truly doubt that he would place one of his decals over a Rosa tramp stamp. He was no doofus when it came to quality steel frames and wouldn't do something so mindless.

gomango
06-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Texbike

I would say this is a repaint or at the very least, a special order of some sort.

Back in the day, a local shop I raced for carried De Rosas. They had all of the standard colors, but they also carried a red and white fade in the shop colors.

These were badged in unusual ways, yet they were still De Rosas through and through.

My wife has one of these badged as a Primato, but it clearly isn't ELOS. My best guess on hers is TSX.

Ultimate, it's a fun little detective hunt we are on, but the frameset sure appears to be ELOS from the pics and we are clear on what that means for ride characteristics.

zmudshark
06-08-2014, 12:32 PM
I don't think it's a repaint or special order. I just checked with my friend, and he sold one just like this awhile back. Same fork, same decals, same double chrome chainstays, no 'Primato' no 'Diamante' and no tramp stamp.

sante pollastri
06-08-2014, 01:46 PM
i don't think it's a repaint or special order. I just checked with my friend, and he sold one just like this awhile back. Same fork, same decals, same double chrome chainstays, no 'primato' no 'diamante' and no tramp stamp.

+1

gomango
06-08-2014, 02:02 PM
I don't think it's a repaint or special order. I just checked with my friend, and he sold one just like this awhile back. Same fork, same decals, same double chrome chainstays, no 'Primato' no 'Diamante' and no tramp stamp.

Interesting.

zmudshark
06-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Here's a small picture of his, looks to be the same at quick glance.

The interesting thing, is this was in San Francisco as well.

gomango
06-08-2014, 02:14 PM

That's a new one on me.

Thanks for the pic.

texbike
06-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Interesting.

That's a new one on me.

Thanks for the pic.

Is there any chance that this could be the same bike? They look exactly the same but no Bike Nook sticker on your buddy's bike...

Edit - My bad! The Ugo De Rosa decal is white on your friend's bike and black on the bike in the ebay auction. Nevermind...

Texbike

zmudshark
06-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Is there any chance that this could be the same bike? They look exactly the same but no Bike Nook sticker on your buddy's bike...

Texbike

No way in the world. He looked at the auction, said his was a bit sun faded, definitely not the same bike. He did sell it to someone in VA (not the eBay seller), and had heard it was repainted. I'll see if I can check on that. Don't know why a Bike Nook decal would be on a recent repaint, though.

It is possible that the eBay frame is a repaint, note that there is no chrome on the top of the rear dropout, between the seat and chain stay.

Nags&Ducs
06-08-2014, 04:23 PM
No way in the world. He looked at the auction, said his was a bit sun faded, definitely not the same bike. He did sell it to someone in VA (not the eBay seller), and had heard it was repainted. I'll see if I can check on that. Don't know why a Bike Nook decal would be on a recent repaint, though.

It is possible that the eBay frame is a repaint, note that there is no chrome on the top of the rear dropout, between the seat and chain stay.

Not following Z-man. Are you talking about the bit of chrome on the backside of the drop out? If so, it appears to be there.

In any case, thanks for checking with your buddy.

zmudshark
06-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Not following Z-man. Are you talking about the bit of chrome on the backside of the drop out? If so, it appears to be there.

In any case, thanks for checking with your buddy.

No, I mean the forward part of the dropout, the inside radius between the seat stay and chain stay. That should be chrome.

In any case, I think it's a market price, worth a bit more with a flat fork crown, IMO.