PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trail shoes

veggieburger
06-06-2014, 01:14 PM
For years I have been a fan of the Salomon XA Ultra shoes, but in the past few iterations, quality has suffered. My first pair lasted a long time, now I'm lucky if I get a season out of them. The tread wears through very quickly, and the lacing system frays. Too bad, they were great shoes!

Any recommendations? I have a narrow (Sidi-ish) foot. I liked the Salomons because the tread wasn't overly aggressive and they breathed really well. I could wear them walking on a trail, or walking across the city.

Any advice?

THANKS!!

malcolm
06-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Check out salewa. It's an Italian company. I wear a pair of their alpine approach shoes at work and they are very comfortable and going on two years are holding up quite well. I've never run in them though. I still run in my salomons or newtons, occasionally montrails.

CunegoFan
06-06-2014, 02:00 PM
I use Hokas but they are not the best shoe for long term durability.

I have had good luck with Merrells and Montrails.

p nut
06-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Best trail runners I've had to date are La Sportiva Wildcats. This pair has lasted me a couple of seasons. I'll be getting a new pair soon. I do want to try Altra Lone Peak's, though.

CaliFly
06-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Just picked up a pair of Brooks Adrenaline (non-GTX). Hiked a few trails in Yosemite over the weekend, and my feet were happy. Your feet may find the forefoot a bit roomy...look at the Cascadia.

verticaldoug
06-06-2014, 02:23 PM
if you want trail runners, try the salomon s-lab xt6 which you can get on sale at Backcountry.com It is not nearly as clunky as the XA.

If you want trail walkers, try the salewa, or if you can find them boreal.
5.10 guide tennies are good for all around stuff too. But alot depends on preference.

choricoff
06-06-2014, 02:23 PM
I recently got a pair of LaSportiva Wildcats and I love them. They have really good ventilation, and in my limited experience they seem to be durable and versatile (good on steep and sharp rocks as well as packed dirt).

nmrt
06-06-2014, 02:30 PM
salomon speedcross is my go to shoe for muddy conditios.
they have amazing grip and are supremely comfortable.

veggieburger
06-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Just picked up a pair of Brooks Adrenaline (non-GTX). Hiked a few trails in Yosemite over the weekend, and my feet were happy. Your feet may find the forefoot a bit roomy...look at the Cascadia.

The Cascadia look good, and sounds like the toe box is narrowish. I'll have to check em out. Thanks!

AngryScientist
06-06-2014, 02:44 PM
i'm currently in some aasics fuji racers. definitely on the minimalist side, but probably the most comfortable trail runners i've used.

GScot
06-06-2014, 03:20 PM
i'm currently in some aasics fuji racers. definitely on the minimalist side, but probably the most comfortable trail runners i've used.

I have fuji racers and fuji trainers. I fully intend to get extra trainers as I love this shoe and it is going out of production if it's not already. Still available though. I alternate with some new balance 1010V2s which are the fastest feeling shoes I own and foot fatigue holds off the longests in the NBs.

Probably not helpful to the OP but at least call it a thumbs up for asics and new balance. The asics fuji trainers seem to be a very durable shoe, the NBs look flimsy on the uppers but are holding up fine.