PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Look pedals

bikemoore
06-06-2014, 11:47 AM
After many years of frustration with the creaking of Look pedals/cleats (I've been riding the Delta cleat models for 20+ years), I finally found the solution. It's not a maintenance-free solution, but it does work. I filed the burred edges of the cleats and also filed any surface where black rubber residue from the center black rubber bumper was visible. I didn't go crazy with the file thinking I was going to reshape the cleats. But as the cleats wear, the edges do get mashed and burred. Bits of rubber from the spacer/bumper also get ground into the plastic surface of the cleat. The noise that Look pedals are capable of putting out when cleats are just a few weeks old has driven me bonkers for years. The silence on my ride yesterday was SO nice. So, it looks like lighltly filing my cleats will have to done about as often as lubing my chain.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

oliver1850
06-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Good to know. I have a couple pair that click because of bearing wear, I assume the outer one. Anyone ever replace bearings in them?

stien
06-06-2014, 12:17 PM
I think people just replace the spindles that have the bearings attached. Mine was clicking and it was a cracked body so check it for that.

happycampyer
06-06-2014, 12:23 PM
I had not experienced squeaky pedals until recently, and Tim Porter introduced me to a solution that so far has been flawless—Team McLube SailKote. It's a dry lube that sailors use for everything including cooking spray (just kidding). Spray it on the contact points of the pedal and the cleat, let dry and then—silence. I've also been told that the bi-lam pedals (not the non-skid ones) are less susceptible to squeaking. SailKote is available at boating supply stores. It's like Frank's Hot Sauce—I put that [beep] on everything.

stien
06-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Yeah the carbon pedals are really quiet. And don't wear out because of the metal on the wear area.

djdj
06-06-2014, 12:32 PM
There was a video tip on Velonews (Ask the Mechanic) recently on how to stop the squeaks. Similar to HappyCamper's advice above. I use FinishLine dry lube.

pavel
06-06-2014, 01:30 PM
i fixed this problem by going to shimano :p

bikemoore
06-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Believe me, I thought many times about changing pedal systems, but when you have multiple bikes, the cost of either changing all your pedals, the inconvenience of changing your one set of pedals every time you change bikes, or having to have a specific pair of shoes for a specific bike makes changing systems a far from ideal solution.

pavel
06-06-2014, 03:25 PM
i know what you mean. I was locked into Look with 5 bikes. Got rid of everything except for one pair to keep on the commuter.

dpk501
06-06-2014, 07:02 PM
This was interesting..

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gallery/article/giro-ditalia-race-tech-its-all-in-the-details-41005/9/

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gallery/article/giro-ditalia-race-tech-its-all-in-the-details-41005/9/

Louis
06-06-2014, 07:14 PM
HC, how often do you have to reapply? (say, in miles ridden)

I had not experienced squeaky pedals until recently, and Tim Porter introduced me to a solution that so far has been flawless—Team McLube SailKote

Louis
06-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Also, do you use the drop applicator, or the spray? (I'd think the spray might be a bit messier to use.))

http://www.mauriprosailing.com/McLube/images/pi/MCL7875_240x240.jpg

http://images.jamestowndistributors.com/woeimages/250_250/00001832.jpg

cfox
06-06-2014, 08:31 PM
i fixed this problem by going to shimano :p

this + infinity. thank you Look for inventing (or was it Time??) the clip-less pedal, but your product is flawed. Why is it that shimano can make an almost identical product that works in flawless silence while yours squeaks 100% of the time??

Look pedals are flawed, end of story. I, and countless other cyclists, have stupidly (and expensively) given them multiple chances, and every single time they squeak, squeak, squeak. Please don't tell me to rub a candle on them or baby powder or chain lube...that's just stupid. I have a $50 pair of shimano 105 pedals that have been 100% silent for 3 long, hard years. Save your candles for a romantic dinner.

jlwdm
06-06-2014, 08:36 PM
100% of the time?

Have three pair of looks and have been using them forever. No squeaks.

Jeff

stien
06-06-2014, 08:50 PM
this + infinity. thank you Look for inventing (or was it Time??) the clip-less pedal, but your product is flawed. Why is it that shimano can make an almost identical product that works in flawless silence while yours squeaks 100% of the time??

Look pedals are flawed, end of story. I, and countless other cyclists, have stupidly (and expensively) given them multiple chances, and every single time they squeak, squeak, squeak. Please don't tell me to rub a candle on them or baby powder or chain lube...that's just stupid. I have a $50 pair of shimano 105 pedals that have been 100% silent for 3 long, hard years. Save your candles for a romantic dinner.

A bit extreme, as they fixed the squeak issue with the metal plate on the pedals some 4 or so years ago. Haven't had that issue since.

happycampyer
06-06-2014, 09:00 PM
HC, how often do you have to reapply? (say, in miles ridden)Just started using it last weekend, so I can't really say. I got a spray can, which will last a long time unless I come up with other things to use it on.

cfox
06-06-2014, 09:21 PM
100% of the time?

Jeff

well, maybe 60% of the time they squeak 100% of the time

A bit extreme, as they fixed the squeak issue with the metal plate on the pedals some 4 or so years ago. Haven't had that issue since.

I had 2 pair 2 years ago with the metal plate. Kept them clean, and ....squeak, squeak. It's cool that you've had better luck.

I bet if you did a search on the most frequently asked bike gear question, "squeaky look pedals" would be top 2

oliver1850
06-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Are you squeakers big powerful types? I've been using Looks for 20+ years and probably have owned 30 pairs of them (including Mavic, Shimano, Campagnolo, Exustar, others that use the same cleat). I don't recall ever having a squeaking problem.

Louis
06-07-2014, 02:43 AM
The original Look Delta cleats are notorious squeakers. I don't know if 180 lbs is big or not, and I'm certainly not powerful, but yes, mine squeak. The bi-material Deltas are better, but can also squeak on occasion.

So far I've found candle wax to be the best thing to quiet them down, but will try the magic potion mentioned above.

thirdgenbird
06-07-2014, 09:00 AM
100% of the time?

Jeff

Same here. 3 pairs and no noise that I recall.

I bet if you did a search on the most frequently asked bike gear question, "squeaky look pedals" would be top 2

I'm guessing it doesn't crack the top 10. If you include questions about chain lube and sevice/replacement issues of wear parts, I'm guessing it isn't in the top 50.

bikemoore
06-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Depending on the particular cleat, my deltas made so much noise I would apologize for them in group rides. Since filing the cleats edges, I'm now on 8 saddle-hours of wonderful silence. Maybe I've intimidated them into submission. I'm not going to spoil you freaks with sissy lube....its the file boys!

BumbleBeeDave
06-10-2014, 11:16 AM
My old Deltas did indeed squeak, sometimes. I fairly quickly isolated it to the black, gummy residue that would build up on the contact surface. Get that off every so often with sandpaper and end of problem.

But then I switched to KEO's and with the nylon inserts on the cleats the problem was gone.

BBD