PDA

View Full Version : Epic? Maybe not...

Kevan
02-18-2006, 12:07 PM
but today's ride had the thrills of a 30 mile rollercoaster ride. Mikemets invited club members to join him on a blustery ride leaving from Katonah. Nothing to the start suggested that this was going to be anything different from any other winter ride. The usual suspects showed up. Everyone was dressed to the point they couldn't bend. Heck the only thing different was I had left my riding glasses back home on the dining table. We set out for a reservoir just north of where we started, with the intentions of looping around it, and it was about a half hour into the ride we started noticing snow flurries. There we were, the five of us, riding along the southern side of the lake on this beautiful road, complete with views of the water and a gorgeous horse farm with wonderful old stone walls and handsome buildings, stables and barn, and a light snowfall to boot! It’s moments like these that everything is right with the world.

Well, about 5-10 minutes beyond that point we started negotiating our way back along the northern side of the reservoir when we saw the snow coming off the lake. It was a blizzard. We’re not talking white out conditions, but just suffice it to say it was coming down hard. Looking down at my sleeves, the shins of my tights and the tops of my booties, everything was snow covered. The roadway immediately started turning wet and without much agreement needed amongst the group we all decided it was best that we work our way back to Katonah and the parking lot. As we did that the snow began to let up and by the time we got near to town the skies actually cleared to a brilliant blue. The roads were soaked, as were our backsides, but we had ridden a rollercoaster ride. I think I broke 30 miles in less than 35 degree weather.

Tomorrow…I’m going to spin class.

Maybe Mikemets can give his angle.

Tom Byrnes
02-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Kevan,

Great post!!

Thanks for the ride report. Sounds like quite a ride.

Tom

Sandy
02-18-2006, 12:13 PM
So which bike is your beater bike, your Serotta or your Calfee??

Sweet Potato

Kevan
02-18-2006, 12:42 PM
for all the frozen muck stuck to her. Took a couple waterbottles filled with hot sudsy water outside where the bike was proped against a tree. I'd squeeze the hot water down along the pipes, using my fingernails to break the icy grip to the point I revealed the Calfee label.

Bike's leaning in the dining room, my wife doesn't even comment any longer. I easily have another half-hour's work to clean the bike.

Woith every minute... for that ride.

mikemets
02-18-2006, 05:36 PM
I had a ton of fun on the ride, love it when the snow falls. As long as the roads don't get too slippery, I see it as a bonus :D Nice temps, had to be above 30F, but the wind was a bear. When I looked back at Kevan he reminded me of that poster of Andy Hampsten on the Gavia Pass, which I just happen to have hanging in my garage next to my bikes.

The downside:
Cleaning the frozen muck off the bike, but worth it.

I had a cable break, first time for me, with about 10 miles left in the ride, and some of the hills were more like leg pressing in the gym, but its all good.

Also, my BB is totally shot, sounds and feels like I'm grinding coffee down there, but here's the strange part...I really don't think its slowing me down all that much, and I probably won't have it replaced until Spring.

gasman
02-18-2006, 05:41 PM
What a great sounding ride !!

Thanks for the post. But Kevan- a Calfee as your "B" bike. Sacrilege !!

Kevan
02-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Don't change it...ever! I need any advantage I can get. Umm... let me take a look at those other bikes of yours.

Too Tall
02-18-2006, 07:01 PM
THATS what I'm talking about :) Well done laddies.

Kevan
02-18-2006, 10:21 PM
What a great sounding ride !!

Thanks for the post. But Kevan- a Calfee as your "B" bike. Sacrilege !!

1 Litespeed cross and 1 Look that joined in on the romp. I wasn't alone.

mikemets
02-19-2006, 07:09 AM
will be solo today.

Guess I'm just "different" currently 9F and CLIMBING :D too bad its windy too, oh well.