PDA

View Full Version : horizontal dropouts and geometry

lanton
03-12-2004, 10:10 PM
I don't think I could really notice any differences in my limited fiddling with the placement of the rear wheel in longer horizontal dropouts, but I was just wondering if when these bikes are designed is there a center point in the dropout that is used for measuring, or is there a range? For example BB drop, ST, HT, trail. The wheel base definitely changes, but is the vertical change considered too small to be noticed or measured?

Andreu
03-13-2004, 01:38 AM
HIi Lanton,
it is an odd one this...in my limited experience there is a slight difference between wheels and it seems to change ever so slightly over about two years with the same wheel (out of true)....iMy guess is you only need a slight change in wheel set up or frame to cause a difference on the centring!
A:mad:

Andreu
03-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Just reread your note and my reply doesnt really answer the question. Hope someone else can help you!
:confused:

lanton
03-13-2004, 02:15 AM
thanks anyway, what I meant was only looking at it from a side view, 2 dimensional way, where moving the wheel back and up or forward and down might change certain measurements slightly. Must be very small, but just wondering if there is a standard reference placement in the design phase.