PDA

View Full Version : Anyone combine dSLR photography and your cycling?

MattTuck
06-04-2014, 01:40 PM
I've wanted to pick up a dSLR for a while and give photography a try. I am curious if any of you routinely bring your dSLR on rides with you and how that usually works (handle bar bag, I'm thinking).

Is it more of a nuisance that gets in the way of riding?

Should they be kept separate and never the twain shall meet?

thegunner
06-04-2014, 01:47 PM
i occasionally bring it out, but it's mostly using my bike to get to the place i want to shoot at and not with the intent of shooting parts of my ride (if that makes any sense)

lowepro makes small non-intrusive bags that make it a bit easier to carry, but micro 4/3rds will do 99% of what the dSLR will in good light.

joosttx
06-04-2014, 01:47 PM
I would suggest a sony RX-100. Its not DLSR but it fits into a jersey pocket and quality is on par or near on par.

Here are some pictures I have taken with one...

http://bike-ride-pics.tumblr.com/

bcroslin
06-04-2014, 01:56 PM
A DSLR is not fun to ride with. Too big, too expensive and too easy to drop. I agree with Joost, you want something small and pocketable and these days there are several high-end cameras in a "point-and-shoot" form factor. The Sony's are nice and if you want to go all out there's the RX1 that you could shove into a jersey pocket.

ceolwulf
06-04-2014, 02:06 PM
I really like my Pentax MX-1 for a more portable option.

Never even really considered riding with my DSLR, just too bulky for me. Mine is kinda big though (Pentax K20D).

Mr. Pink
06-04-2014, 02:30 PM
The NYT just ran these two articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/technology/personaltech/a-hybrid-camera-that-may-be-all-you-need.html?ref=technology

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/technology/personaltech/three-sweet-spots-for-camera-shoppers.html?ref=personaltech

I own the Fuji XE-1, which is a little smaller than the XT-1 featured in the first article, but essentially the same camera. Superb quality. With a 28mm fixed lens (About 35mm equivalent on an old 35mm camera) , it's small enough to carry on the bike at times, although I'm still in search of the perfect waist/fanny pack.

ntb1001
06-04-2014, 02:31 PM
joosttx. ....great shots.

I might have to pick up one of those. I have pro canon bodies & all kinds of L lenses...but it's all to big to bring with me on my bike. ..or motorcycle. That Sony would fit the bill nicely. It would beat the camera on my phone.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

jtakeda
06-04-2014, 02:50 PM
If you're gonna go Fuji get the x-pro or Fuji x100s

Netdewt
06-04-2014, 02:52 PM
The NYT just ran these two articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/technology/personaltech/a-hybrid-camera-that-may-be-all-you-need.html?ref=technology

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/technology/personaltech/three-sweet-spots-for-camera-shoppers.html?ref=personaltech

I own the Fuji XE-1, which is a little smaller than the XT-1 featured in the first article, but essentially the same camera. Superb quality. With a 28mm fixed lens (About 35mm equivalent on an old 35mm camera) , it's small enough to carry on the bike at times, although I'm still in search of the perfect waist/fanny pack.

I have the X100S, and so far loving it. The "SLR" part (the optical viewfinder) is what adds most of the bulk, and most people don't need it. I'm really liking EVF.

John "Prolly" posted a while ago that he just uses a camera strap with an additional chest strap added on, and slings the camera to his back like a messenger bag. I'm planning to do that with a Domke velcro gear wrap around the camera for extra protection. With a little hot shoe thumb grip, it's a great little camera that I can hold with 1 hand. Huge APS-C (same as low end DSLRs) sensor, 16 MP, great low light ability.

The X-Pro is huge by comparison. Might as well get a DSLR then. And it is last gen now.

Mr. Pink
06-04-2014, 02:53 PM
If you're gonna go Fuji get the x-pro or Fuji x100s

Well, I went with the XE-1 to have interchangeble lenses. With the fixed length 28mm, it's pretty much the same as the x100s but without the leaf shutter, which is only useful for tricky flash sync, and ultra quiet operation, like the old Leicas.

makoti
06-04-2014, 02:56 PM
I use an Olympus micro4/3. Nice, nice camera. I take it on bigger, vacation trips. I carry it in a Timbuk2 small messenger bag. It works well. Doesn't get in my way, easy to get to, not too bulky. It can get a little tiring on the shoulder, depending on how long you're on the bike for the day. I took this all over NZ without any problems.

Netdewt
06-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Well, I went with the XE-1 to have interchangeble lenses. With the fixed length 28mm, it's pretty much the same as the x100s but without the leaf shutter, which is only useful for tricky flash sync, and ultra quiet operation, like the old Leicas.

I almost chose the X-E2, as it is the same price as the X100S. I went simple for my own sake. Smaller lens, faster lens, no dust, quiet. But I also have access to high-end DSLRs if need be.

velotel
06-04-2014, 03:05 PM
That's all I use, a Canon with a zoom, but not a long zoom, been hauling it around for years now. One reason is because with those damn screens I have to put reading glasses on the see anything, and even then it's iffy. I like seeing what I'm shooting through the lens. It's heavier than those little guys but doesn't slow me at all; I'm already slow. Lots of time I carry it a fanny pack but only when rides are shorter and I'm not carrying extra clothes and food. Becomes too heavy and impedes my breathing. Then I switch to a backpack so the weights on my shoulders. Means stopping and taking the pack off and shooting and putting it back and putting it on which takes time. Which I love; gives my legs a rest. For me it's terrific, just a plus.

martl
06-04-2014, 03:06 PM
I've wanted to pick up a dSLR for a while and give photography a try. I am curious if any of you routinely bring your dSLR on rides with you and how that usually works (handle bar bag, I'm thinking).

Is it more of a nuisance that gets in the way of riding?

Should they be kept separate and never the twain shall meet?

I bring my trusty D80 with the 18-200mm occasionally. I wrap it in a "Novoflex" neoprene (http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Display-Kameraschutz/Kamera-Einschlagtuecher/Novoflex-Stretch-Einschlagtuch-XL-48x48cm::4198.html) and throw it in my backpack. Did it the last few l'Eroicas: https://www.flickr.com/photos/66711002@N03/page1/. Nowadays, i would recommend a bridge camera for that purpose, but i myself am a sucker for optical viewfinders.
I may not be the norm as i also hauled a full Hasselblad gear through Bhutan and Ladakh :D

some times, i just bring my iphone, though

bluesea
06-04-2014, 03:15 PM
For the roadbike I'm loath to even carry my S95, which is fairly compact. For photographic moments I'd rather have my commuter.

Len J
06-04-2014, 04:17 PM
I have a D3 w a bag of 2.8 lens's. If I ride to a shoot, I'll load up a backpack and ride cautiously. Since the best shooting is around sunrise & sunset, lights are not optional.

All other shooting Sony RX100. Just ordered version III.

Len

jamesutiopia
06-04-2014, 06:18 PM
I find a Canon S95 (http://piaw.blogspot.com/2010/07/long-term-review-canon-s90.html) (probably something better now) to be more than enough camera for riding/touring (shoots RAW, decent glass, speedy, long battery life)

Mr. Pink
06-04-2014, 06:38 PM
I like seeing what I'm shooting through the lens.

That's another reason I chose the Fuji. I too have old eyes, and I can see the shot through the viewfinder and see the info in there easily under all conditions, much like a DSLR, but, the Fuji uses an electronic viewfinder. I like that artificiality a little more, because it will factor in color and exposure settings most of the time to preview the shot.

I cannot use a screen to shoot. Awful, especially in bright daylight. I'm old school. Phones are useless to me, even though they are getting awfully good these days.

Netdewt
06-04-2014, 08:18 PM
That's another reason I chose the Fuji. I too have old eyes, and I can see the shot through the viewfinder and see the info in there easily under all conditions, much like a DSLR, but, the Fuji uses an electronic viewfinder. I like that artificiality a little more, because it will factor in color and exposure settings most of the time to preview the shot.

I cannot use a screen to shoot. Awful, especially in bright daylight. I'm old school. Phones are useless to me, even though they are getting awfully good these days.

Exactly. EVF is great. It's not as "pretty" (what is compared to a Hasselblad), but it does the job very well.

Plus when you shoot with a screen you look like a dope.

zzy
06-04-2014, 08:22 PM
I used to tour with a SLR and a couple lenses. I had a Ortleib Ultimate 4 with the special SLR padding. I broke a camera body one tour, and a lens the next just riding around. I think the vibrations are bad for the delicate design.

I now always tour with my lil Canon S95 and love it.

MattTuck
06-04-2014, 08:24 PM
I agree that the dSLR has some issues as far as portability. I do carry my phone, so if I need to take a picture, I can. Even if it means that I could not bring the camera with me very often, I think I'd still go for a dSLR for the other types of photography I'd like to try.

Good thoughts :) Thanks.

Cornfed
06-04-2014, 08:25 PM
I would suggest a sony RX-100. Its not DLSR but it fits into a jersey pocket and quality is on par or near on par.

+1 on the RX-100. And now with the RX-100M2 out, the original is nearly half price. I find it a bit bulky to fit in my jersey, but it fits in my larger seat bag pretty easily.

estilley
06-04-2014, 08:30 PM
You can take surprisingly good photos with an iPhone. Just check out what this guy's doing on his rides....

http://instagram.com/rmdub

Len J
06-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Yea, must have viewfinder. IMO.

Len

paulh
06-04-2014, 09:01 PM
I have a D3 w a bag of 2.8 lens's. If I ride to a shoot, I'll load up a backpack and ride cautiously. Since the best shooting is around sunrise & sunset, lights are not optional.

All other shooting Sony RX100. Just ordered version III.

Len

I just saw the new release. Was the viewfinder a key decision point? Any other points to consider? Did you pre-order from a good site? Thanks!

jtakeda
06-04-2014, 09:08 PM

X pro has interchangeable lenses.

R3awak3n
06-04-2014, 09:38 PM
I am looking into a Ricoh GR. Amazing camera with an APS-C sensor and pretty portable.

Len J
06-04-2014, 09:50 PM
I just saw the new release. Was the viewfinder a key decision point? Any other points to consider? Did you pre-order from a good site? Thanks!

Preordered from B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Viewfinder and the faster lens was the clincher when combined w the size. Carry all the time high quality camera. I can't shoot w/o viewfinder due to sight issues.

The 24-70 f/1.8-2.8 equivalent lenses was perfect for me, I'd much rather have wide than long (v II had 28-100 equivalent f/1.8-4.9 & no VF ).

Eventually I'll probably have the pro DSLR for special shooting, the DX100 for carry around and a mid-size mirror-less kit for fun/flexible light-weight shooting.

Len

Ti Designs
06-05-2014, 08:03 AM
25 years ago I packed up a bunch of photo equipment on my mountain bike and got lost for a week near Walden pond. It was my attempt at showing what riding every morning is like - stuff most people only see on vacation. This year I've decided to do the same thing, 'cept on a cross bike with modern camera equipment. I'm leaving my house long before sunrise and finding some good shooting location. Here are some images from one such ride along with a few shots of the equipment and the bag. I really have two camera set-ups, the second one being a bike mounted set of Contour cameras which can either shoot stills at set intervals or video. Something I'm finding as I'm doing this, there are lots of "cyclist's modifications" to the camera equipment, like the light mounted to the tripod leg...

ColonelJLloyd
06-05-2014, 08:48 AM
I agree that the dSLR has some issues as far as portability. I do carry my phone, so if I need to take a picture, I can. Even if it means that I could not bring the camera with me very often, I think I'd still go for a dSLR for the other types of photography I'd like to try.

Good thoughts :) Thanks.

A Nikon 1 or the like is a good compromise.

nismosr
06-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Sold my Canon 50mm f1.2L to get and extra fund for my Colnago C59!

joosttx
06-05-2014, 09:29 AM

The original rx-100 has the smallest form factor of the rx-100 iterations but does not have wifi or a view finder. Personally, I would get the original one because of the smaller form factor and price.

bluesea
06-05-2014, 12:08 PM
25 years ago I packed up a bunch of photo equipment on my mountain bike and got lost for a week near Walden pond. It was my attempt at showing what riding every morning is like - stuff most people only see on vacation. This year I've decided to do the same thing, 'cept on a cross bike with modern camera equipment. I'm leaving my house long before sunrise and finding some good shooting location. Here are some images from one such ride along with a few shots of the equipment and the bag. I really have two camera set-ups, the second one being a bike mounted set of Contour cameras which can either shoot stills at set intervals or video. Something I'm finding as I'm doing this, there are lots of "cyclist's modifications" to the camera equipment, like the light mounted to the tripod leg...

Great setup, great shots.

ntb1001
06-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Sold my Canon 50mm f1.2L to get and extra fund for my Colnago C59!

I sold my 85 1.2 L for a similar reason. ...just paring down to fund new stuff...but I regretted it and bought another one.:D:D

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

MattTuck
06-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Very cool idea. Nice pics too.

There are some abandoned buildings near me that would be great to photograph around sunrise. I bet all sorts of funky shadows.

Hawker
06-05-2014, 06:48 PM

Crap! Those are great! I'm a novice, may I ask about the ninth photo down, the path thru the forest. Can you tell me about the settings nd if you manipulated this in Photoshop or similar? How do I get as good as you?
Thanks.

joosttx
06-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Crap! Those are great! I'm a novice, may I ask about the ninth photo down, the path thru the forest. Can you tell me about the settings nd if you manipulated this in Photoshop or similar? How do I get as good as you?
Thanks.

I just point and click at things that are interesting. I am not sure what settings. I will adjust some with apeture and nik post. That's about it. I try not to think to much and instead vibe the passion.

That picture was taken just before a downhill. I stop and took a picture and start again (20 secs at most) The beauty of photography on this level is you don't need to think about it too much. You just need an artistic eye and a little vision.

ceolwulf
06-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Practise seeing.

joosttx
06-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Practise seeing.

Exactly.

Netdewt
06-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Photoshop is often lipstick on a pig. You have to start with a good image to make it better.

martl
06-06-2014, 01:43 AM
You can take surprisingly good photos with an iPhone. Just check out what this guy's doing on his rides....

http://instagram.com/rmdub

Agreed. This fella uses his iphone for many of his pictures:

http://www.stefan-rohner.net/blog/?cat=12

well worth a look - and equipment doesn't compensate talent. Same as in cycling, really :)

DrSpoke
06-06-2014, 09:35 AM
I often take my D200 w/70-300 on mountain bike rides with meetup.com. I just put it in my CamelBak. It's bulky and heavy but really isn't too bad. Usually I ride ahead during regroups and then take photos of the riders as they come by - then catch up afterwards. Sort of like leapfrog. So not a lot of socialization on those rides. I like the DSLR because of zoom, that it focuses rapidly and also shoots rapidly. Afterwards, I do same basic edits as it often seems the faces are underexposed and I usually to a little cropping. Though far from professional, the results are way better than the generic group mobile phone photos of everyone standing around with powerlines in the background that seem to be the norm. I haven't done it yet on a road ride but think I will give it a try at some point. Those guy are much harder to catch though :) And I should probably just do a photography expitition at some point too. Those photos shown previously were great.