PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy the new Garmin Edge 1000 yet?

SoCalSteve
06-04-2014, 01:12 PM
I went to REI and had a look at it, expecting to walk away laughing at the size (large, very large)....surprisingly so, I didn't. It is not nearly as large as I thought it would be and after playing with the software for a few minutes, I found it very intuitive, like someone at Garmin owns an iPhone...:)

I am having a hard time reconciling the $600.00 cost as my Garmin Edge 500 still works perfectly and pretty much does everything I need it to do.

Yeah, having the "FlightDeck" visuals of the gears would be great and knowing who is texting me or calling me would be great as well...Just not sure HOW great I actually need these features as I have been getting along really well without them for many, many years now.

Thoughts, opinions, flames and more thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks!

Steve

OtayBW
06-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Asked and answered!

Jack Crank
06-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Those things seem crazy overkill to me but what the hell do I know? I don't even strava...

Never got the need for the gear indicator thing though... Honestly, when was the last time you couldn't tell how hard it was to pedal?

melonyogloo
06-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Cycle computer is going down the same path as cell phone. They both were huge when they first came out, then went thru a period of smaller is better, and they are making them huge again.

Garmin 500 is as big as I can stand and it has way too much information already.

biker72
06-04-2014, 04:55 PM
The 1000 supplies more information than I will ever need.
I have a Edge Touring that works fine for me.

Dired
06-04-2014, 05:00 PM
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garmin-1000-depth-review.html

Great review by dc, as usual.

weisan
06-04-2014, 05:04 PM
i am so behind, just a couple of days ago, i was still learning how to upload a route to my garmin 800. i have owned this thing for like 2 years now.:rolleyes:
speaking of which, if someone had an extra mount that they can send me. i would sure appreciate it.

thirdgenbird
06-04-2014, 05:49 PM
I am a very happy 500 owner that hasn't used a 1000, but here is my original reaction to the 1000 release.

I just don't understand the idea of adding online connectivity features to a device that is the size of a phone that are dependent on a phone that already exist on a phone. Oh, and did I mention it was the cost of a phone? It just becomes a remote control and remote screen that are the same size as the original product. Its sort of like an iMac sized ipad that only functions when pared with an iMac within 3ft. What good is it?

Edit:

Wait, the "remote" has gotten so large they've added a remote?! I feel ill. Someone send me downtube shifters stat!

I would love to see the 500 reworked with a crisper b&w screen. Smoother navigation, micro USB charging, and bluetooth support. Leave the small case and physical buttons. Forget the phone features. I've already got a device that does that very well.

6 months later, my opinion hasn't changed. (I also bought some downtubes, and another quill stem)

RedRider
06-04-2014, 07:30 PM
We've sold a few...there are lots of people that love the latest technology.

Cicli
06-04-2014, 07:53 PM
The 1000 supplies more information than I will ever need.
I have a Edge Touring that works fine for me.

I agree, I got an Edge Touring as a gift and it is just fine. It was an upgrade from mu 200.
I like it alot.

eippo1
06-04-2014, 08:43 PM
I'll check em out when at the shop next. Actually upgraded from a 500 to the 800 because I could see the numbers better.

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

jbrainin
06-04-2014, 08:59 PM
The Edge 1000 is basically the same size as an iPhone4/4s. Garmin must have figured there was a market for such a beast after seeing tons of people riding around using smartphones as their bike computer. I'll wait for my current devices (Edge 800 and 810) to die before I consider an Edge 1000. Hopefully by then they'll release an Edge 820 that will have most of the same features as the Edge 1000 without the excessive size.

thirdgenbird
06-04-2014, 09:07 PM
The Edge 1000 is basically the same size as an iPhone4/4s. Garmin must have figured there was a market for such a beast after seeing tons of people riding around using smartphones as their bike computer. I'll wait for my current devices (Edge 800 and 810) to die before I consider an Edge 1000. Hopefully by then they'll release an Edge 820 that will have most of the same features as the Edge 1000 without the excessive size.

Yes.

The problem is that these new features don't function without said phone paired with it. Why not buy an extended battery for the iPhone and save yourself bucket loads of cash?

We've sold a few...there are lots of people that love the latest technology.

It's not the latest technology. It is old tech (cell phone) wrapped in a new and less practical package.

thunderworks
06-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Related topic . . . I hate the Garmin Connect site. It's slow, unpredictable, and sometimes simply doesn't work. It seems odd to me that a high tech company like Garmin can't debug their user website. Is it me, or do others have similar problems interfacing a Garmin Edge product to the Connect site?

CunegoFan
06-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Related topic . . . I hate the Garmin Connect site. It's slow, unpredictable, and sometimes simply doesn't work. It seems odd to me that a high tech company like Garmin can't debug their user website. Is it me, or do others have similar problems interfacing a Garmin Edge product to the Connect site?

It really should not seem odd when you consider that Garmin cannot debug its device firmware either.

ptourkin
06-05-2014, 08:29 AM
DC Rainmaker posted what will be the definitive review for a while: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garmin-1000-depth-review.html

In summary, there are still bugs to be cured in the firmware, especially with the Bluetooth connectivity.

One great/obvious insight - Garmin has released an answer to a question not many have asked: can you make a bigger unit? Judging from the comments, many WOULD be interested in an update unit the size of the 500. I would be open to the larger screen, it's no big deal to me, if it could display really large fonts when the number of fields is decreased. It would be nice to be able to take a super fast glance at HR or power only when training (not racing) on the velodrome.

For those who say they don't need all the data available-- that's great. You don't even need to read this thread.

FastforaSlowGuy
06-05-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm torn on the connectivity side. I generally put my phone on mute so I don't have to deal with calls/emails while riding. I really enjoy being able to unplug. However, there are days where I try to sneak in a ride without letting folks at the office know that's what I'm doing (meeting ran really long ;)). On those days, I'll stop every 15-20 minutes to check my email and fake things a bit. Not sure I'd drop extra money to improve my ability to play hooky, but I can see where others might.

I do sorta like the strava segment integration. I'm a strava idiot and can never remember where segments start/stop, even when I'm trying to hit one. To have the leader's time up there would also be a nice rabbit to chase.

ptourkin
06-05-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm torn on the connectivity side. I generally put my phone on mute so I don't have to deal with calls/emails while riding. I really enjoy being able to unplug. However, there are days where I try to sneak in a ride without letting folks at the office know that's what I'm doing (meeting ran really long ;)). On those days, I'll stop every 15-20 minutes to check my email and fake things a bit. Not sure I'd drop extra money to improve my ability to play hooky, but I can see where others might.

I do sorta like the strava segment integration. I'm a strava idiot and can never remember where segments start/stop, even when I'm trying to hit one. To have the leader's time up there would also be a nice rabbit to chase.

Unfortunately, it's not Strava segments. It's the new Garmin Connect segment feature. I'd love to chase a rabbit too - nothing better for me to get some intensity. Until Garmin users populate the segments, it won't be that useful. Ray noted that he couldn't find any to chase in France.

When Strava makes a deal with a gps manufacturer to use this functionality, it will be a real gamechanger. Strava users are able to do this with the phone app, though.

I'd love to see a more open source style api that would allow interested coders to push anything they like over Bluetooth and indeed, to hack the interface.