PDA

View Full Version : Road Shoes, Pearl izumi P.R.O Leader, other brands?? anyone?

quattro
06-03-2014, 09:24 PM
My pursuit of new road shoes continues. Anyone riding the new Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Leader, what do you think?

Recently tried the Lake CX402's, didn't fit quite right, sent them back. Got a pair of the PI's P.R.O. Leader's but they are 1/2 size to small, sending back for a larger size, they look and feel pretty good, but I don't have any experience with PI shoes or their carbon fiber sole.

I'm also hoping to try the Shimano 320's and possibly the Bontrager RXXXL Limited.

My feet are the problem, not the shoes, I have issues, hoping to find something that works for my feet.

I do appreciate any input on shoes, I realize like a saddle it is a very individual thing. I'm basically looking for a shoe that has a wide and high toe box.

Still not interested in discussing custom, I'm not going there.

Thanks,

quattro

Saguaro
06-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Do you have wide feet? I do and went with Sidi Genius Fit in the Mega (wide) size. I'm very happy with them.

jtakeda
06-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Specialized 74s are amazing.

RedRider
06-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Find a bike shop that has a good selection and ask for the salesperson that knows cycling shoes. Boston has some great bike shops. Try on a few pairs from different manufacturers. Have them help you with the fit because it's not like running or dress shoes. Cycling shoes have a stiff sole and are designed to transfer power rather than cushion an impact. It's about fitting your foot and budget.
Then buy them from that shop. You've wasted enough of your time on the internet.

DCilliams
06-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Care to elaborate on the amazingness of the 74s? I've had my eye on them; just need to sell a kidney first.

bianchi10
06-03-2014, 10:45 PM
I dont want to jump the gun just yet because I haven't received mine yet, but I just ordered some Bonts. They have a different shape to them which is what originally turned me off to them, but now find it extremely appealing. The entire shoe is heat moldable, not just once or twice, but as many times as you need to in order to get the fit right. The shape is to fit more like your foot is actually shaped like. The problem with Bont is finding a bike shop that carries them is impossible. You do all your ordering online. You might be lucky like I was to find a store that knows their product very well and can help get you into the right size. They have explicit directions on their page, but having someone who knows their "off sizing" can be beneficial and help put you at ease about spending that much money on a shoe without trying it on or seeing it in person first. I classify as a wide foot, so I'm really hoping these will help.

I Got the new Vaypor + which is similar to the specialized S works shoe that I currently use.

Check them out:

http://www.bont.com/Cycling/products/road/vaypor/

ceolwulf
06-03-2014, 10:47 PM
I have pretty wide feet as well and Shimanos seem to fit well.

jtakeda
06-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Care to elaborate on the amazingness of the 74s? I've had my eye on them; just need to sell a kidney first.

Sure. The uppers are super soft and comfy while the boas that tighten the shoe down are independent of each other.

If you have a really wide foot you can loosen the lower boa but tighten the top one to keep the shoe snug (assuming you bought the right size length wise)

They're super breathable too.

They also look super cool.

I bought mine here as someone bought the wrong size. They are very expensive retail, the one downside.

bewheels
06-04-2014, 01:13 AM
For the last year i have been using Fizik shoes(http://www.fizik.com/shoes/road-shoes/r1-uomo/). Granted they are first new shoes i have had for several years, but they have been awesome. I feel as though they have a roomy toe box...but of course that is my fit.

ultraman6970
06-04-2014, 05:16 AM
Bont

commonguy001
06-04-2014, 05:28 AM
For the last year i have been using Fizik shoes(http://www.fizik.com/shoes/road-shoes/r1-uomo/). Granted they are first new shoes i have had for several years, but they have been awesome. I feel as though they have a roomy toe box...but of course that is my fit.

Agree on the fizik r1 toe box volume, it seems huge. I tried these on and while the heel fit great I thought the toe box was too roomy for my taste.
I really wanted these to fit as they're really nice shoes!

DCilliams
06-04-2014, 06:04 AM
@jtakeda - Thanks for the info! I'll keep my out for them on here.

quattro
06-04-2014, 06:16 AM
Do you have wide feet? I do and went with Sidi Genius Fit in the Mega (wide) size. I'm very happy with them.

No, i don't have wide feet but have a morton's neuroma so I do need a shoe that has a wide toe box, the Mega's are too wide.

quattro
06-04-2014, 06:17 AM
I dont want to jump the gun just yet because I haven't received mine yet, but I just ordered some Bonts. They have a different shape to them which is what originally turned me off to them, but now find it extremely appealing. The entire shoe is heat moldable, not just once or twice, but as many times as you need to in order to get the fit right. The shape is to fit more like your foot is actually shaped like. The problem with Bont is finding a bike shop that carries them is impossible. You do all your ordering online. You might be lucky like I was to find a store that knows their product very well and can help get you into the right size. They have explicit directions on their page, but having someone who knows their "off sizing" can be beneficial and help put you at ease about spending that much money on a shoe without trying it on or seeing it in person first. I classify as a wide foot, so I'm really hoping these will help.

I Got the new Vaypor + which is similar to the specialized S works shoe that I currently use.

Check them out:

http://www.bont.com/Cycling/products/road/vaypor/

Have tried on a pair of Bont's, the toe box is much to low for my hammer toes.

quattro
06-04-2014, 06:20 AM
Find a bike shop that has a good selection and ask for the salesperson that knows cycling shoes. Boston has some great bike shops. Try on a few pairs from different manufacturers. Have them help you with the fit because it's not like running or dress shoes. Cycling shoes have a stiff sole and are designed to transfer power rather than cushion an impact. It's about fitting your foot and budget.
Then buy them from that shop. You've wasted enough of your time on the internet.

I have been on this road visiting all the bike shops in the Boston area, they stock Specialized, Giro, Sidi, Shimano, some Bont's. I'm trying to find some of the brands and sizes that these shops don't carry, that is why I have been forced to order on line. I'll gladly buy from a local shop if they have what I need.

quattro
06-04-2014, 06:21 AM
I have pretty wide feet as well and Shimanos seem to fit well.

Agreed, I do like the R320's and that may be the shoe I settle on.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2014, 07:48 AM

POTD

Don't be 'that' guy....

bianchi10
06-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Have tried on a pair of Bont's, the toe box is much to low for my hammer toes.

I hear ya, but remember they can be molded to you foot. If your toe needs more room than just molding, you can put a small piece of leather around your toe and then mold the shoe again. It will give a little more space. OR just mold the shoe with thick socks on and you will have more room in general.

jmoore
06-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Look at Northwave. They have room up front

quattro
06-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Look at Northwave. They have room up front

Unfortunately there are no local shops that carry Northwave in my area, I have never tried them on before so right now they are not an option.

oldpotatoe
06-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately there are no local shops that carry Northwave in my area, I have never tried them on before so right now they are not an option.

One in Allston and one in Cambridge....not sure how close those are, northwave dealers, according to their website

BSBD
06-05-2014, 11:19 AM

Not in Boston, down in Jacksonville, FL, but we have a ton of bike shops, over 30, and all have crap selections for shoes other than bog standard widths in only a handful of brands.

I've tried to buy local, had a local shop special order some Shimano wide shoes for me and tried them on for all of a second before boxing them up and handing them back to the owner, too narrow.

Another local shop, said this about a pair of Bont shoes, purchased in normal width that they would be perfectly fine because even though a little longer, they would stretch after the oven process and they would accommodate the width. They didn't and the shop dropped the ball on taking care of me followed by it going out of business. The CEO of Bont Cycling has personally been trying to make this shop's problem right with me. I still haven't gotten a pair to work right for me with Bont yet, but I am trying.

What I've found in my quest to find shoes that work:

Sidi's Megas - in half sizes (like 42.5) they use the same outsole as the 42 and strap on a bigger upper in addition to the extra volume of the Mega. Foot hung over the sides. Tried Dominators.

Lake - Tried the cyclocross shoe, MX331, in a wide. Width was great, volume not so much. Toes were crammed down.

Shimano - described above

Specialized - have a pair of Road Pros from MY13 in a wide. Ok, not great, fit but straps are opened up a good deal. Contacted them for mountain shoes and they stated they would at most an E width, so same slack

Bont - Tried the a-two in 44 normal, no where near wide enough. They built an extra-wide a-two in 42.5, a smidge too short on one foot causing the end of the toes to jam against the end of the shoes. Picked up a pair of Vaypor 43 wides off here a week ago, width is a little tight, still going to futz with the oven on these. Across the 42.5 extra-wides and the 43 wide, have had heel slippage. Still in talks with the CEO to send back the 42.5 extra-wides and work something out.

Riivo - found Brad in March off a Google search. Talked with him prior to NAB and got the ball rolling. Sent him tracings and some photos, went with his semi-custom offering. Had a pair of MTB shoes done up, a pair of the Azzo XC. Turn around time was relatively quick, got them about a month or so after NAB. Near perfect fit, currently sorting out one small spot around one big toe with oven baking and pushing. Brad has offered to push out the spot for me if I can't get it done myself.

Vittoria - the shoe brand, used to make wide cuts but apparently doesn't anymore.

It's funny, I've found more than 2 dozen brands of cycling shoe manufacturers, and only a tiny handful make anything bigger than a standard width. I've found 6 custom manufacturers: Bont, D2, Riivo, Rocket7, Simmons, and some company in EUrope (France I think) that I've forgotten the name of.

Also, cycling socks, the thinnest I've found are Smartwools Ultra Light.

foon
06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Not in Boston, down in Jacksonville, FL, but we have a ton of bike shops, over 30, and all have crap selections for shoes other than bog standard widths in only a handful of brands.

I've tried to buy local, had a local shop special order some Shimano wide shoes for me and tried them on for all of a second before boxing them up and handing them back to the owner, too narrow.

Another local shop, said this about a pair of Bont shoes, purchased in normal width that they would be perfectly fine because even though a little longer, they would stretch after the oven process and they would accommodate the width. They didn't and the shop dropped the ball on taking care of me followed by it going out of business. The CEO of Bont Cycling has personally been trying to make this shop's problem right with me. I still haven't gotten a pair to work right for me with Bont yet, but I am trying.

Sidi's Megas - in half sizes (like 42.5) they use the same outsole as the 42 and strap on a bigger upper in addition to the extra volume of the Mega. Foot hung over the sides. Tried Dominators.

Lake - Tried the cyclocross shoe, MX331, in a wide. Width was great, volume not so much. Toes were crammed down.

Specialized - have a pair of Road Pros from MY13 in a wide. Ok, not great, fit but straps are opened up a good deal. Contacted them for mountain shoes and they stated they would at most an E width, so same slack

Bont - Tried the a-two in 44 normal, no where near wide enough. They built an extra-wide a-two in 42.5, a smidge too short on one foot causing the end of the toes to jam against the end of the shoes. Picked up a pair of Vaypor 43 wides off here a week ago, width is a little tight, still going to futz with the oven on these. Across the 42.5 extra-wides and the 43 wide, have had heel slippage. Still in talks with the CEO to send back the 42.5 extra-wides and work something out.

Riivo - found Brad in March off a Google search. Talked with him prior to NAB and got the ball rolling. Sent him tracings and some photos, went with his semi-custom offering. Had a pair of MTB shoes done up, a pair of the Azzo XC. Turn around time was relatively quick, got them about a month or so after NAB. Near perfect fit, currently sorting out one small spot around one big toe with oven baking and pushing. Brad has offered to push out the spot for me if I can't get it done myself.

Vittoria - the shoe brand, used to make wide cuts but apparently doesn't anymore.

It's funny, I've found more than 2 dozen brands of cycling shoe manufacturers, and only a tiny handful make anything bigger than a standard width. I've found 6 custom manufacturers: Bont, D2, Riivo, Rocket7, Simmons, and some company in EUrope (France I think) that I've forgotten the name of.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have wide feet too and have been putting up with shoes with less than good fit for a long time.

BTW, Vittoria shoes can all be semi-custom. You can choose whatever width you want, or change the sole (say, put mtb sole on a road model). How they would fit, of course would depend on their last and your feet. But I think they do this for no extra charge in Italy, which is pretty cool. I haven't tried it yet, because I don't want to custom order something that don't work perfect.

quattro
06-05-2014, 09:05 PM

Your experience sounds familiar, a long traveled road of not finding the selection you would hope to try of many brands, sizes and widths. The reality is that a number of brands can only be found on the internet, so even if you would like to support your local bike shop it's not possible because they don't carry the selection and sizes, hey, I can't blame the shop, it's expensive to carry many brands and then stock a full size run and widths as well. But buying shoes on the internet with shipping back and forth gets expensive. There is no simple answer. In the Boston area it's not possible to find a selection of styles in sizes from manufacturers such as Garneau, Pearl Izumi, Carnac, Vittoria, Bont, Lake, Nothwave, even if a shop is listed as a dealer for these brands, they do not carry a wide selection of different shoes, trust me, I have investigated them all. So it's either Shimano, Sidi, Specialized or Giro, that's pretty much what 's available.

For cycling socks try Balega, super thin, great deep heel cup and no seam about the toe, been wearing them for years, they last forever, made in South Aftica, available at many running stores in the USA, check them out.

BSBD
06-17-2014, 08:32 AM
For cycling socks try Balega, super thin, great deep heel cup and no seam about the toe, been wearing them for years, they last forever, made in South Aftica, available at many running stores in the USA, check them out.

Thanks for the heads up on Balega.

quattro
06-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up on Balega.

Glad you like the Balega socks

wasfast
06-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Giving a specific recommendation is highly dependent as our feet are not always the same.

I've been using Specialized road shoes for 11 years and have been very happy. Never warmed up the look of the Boa lacing despite their apparent superiority to straps/buckles. I'm on my 5th pair of Pro Carbon road models, love them.

............must be white however:)

quattro
06-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Giving a specific recommendation is highly dependent as our feet are not always the same.

I've been using Specialized road shoes for 11 years and have been very happy. Never warmed up the look of the Boa lacing despite their apparent superiority to straps/buckles. I'm on my 5th pair of Pro Carbon road models, love them.

............must be white however:)

I have been riding the Specialized Pro Carbon for about 5-6 years in white. Continuing on the shoes I listed as having tried and returned I can now add the Lake CX402 and 2014 Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Leader, they just didn't fit my feet. I am waiting for a pair of Shimano R320's, hope they will be the answer...stay tuned...

tiretrax
06-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Someone must have DMT's and Diadora. Drive as far as Worcester if you need to. From what you describe, you may never find a comfortable shoe off the rack, however. You might be better off with custom insoles fit by a specialist. My father had that done for years to get his shoes and ski boots to fit comfortably. Unfortunately, I don't know whom he used, and he's been dead for a decade, so I can't ask.

quattro
06-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Received my Shimano R320's today. They fit the best of any of the many shoes I have tried on, have not ridden them yet, but I think they are a keeper, finally.

torquer
06-19-2014, 09:59 AM
I like my Fiziks, new this past winter after more than a decade in Sidis. (I have a relatively narrow foot, but haven't noticed that much of a difference in the toe box.)
It should be noted, though, that Fizik builds in a high arch, which not everyone needs or even benefits from.
Nice shoes, though, ATMO.