PDA

View Full Version : Anything to do with Bontrager paired spoke HUB?

tv_vt
06-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Have a 20 and 24 (or is it 24 and 28?) set of Bontrager hubs from a paired spoke wheelset. Can these be rebuilt with even-spaced rims like a Hed Belgium C2? Or are they limited to use only with paired spoke rims?

On a similar note regarding built-in obsolence, does anyone know of a 26 hole rim to use with an original Mavic Helium front hub?

Many thanks.

TV

stien
06-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Salt shaker? :-D

tv_vt
06-03-2014, 01:48 PM
^^^ You're not helping!

thirdgenbird
06-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I used one to keep a frame from getting crushed in shipping. Worked perfect :)

stien
06-03-2014, 02:00 PM
^^^ You're not helping!

Sorry. That's my way of saying pair spoke rim or salt shaker.

oliver1850
06-03-2014, 05:21 PM
I think you could get them laced to rims with evenly spaced spoke holes, but one side of the wheel will have alternating shorter/longer spokes. You would likely have 3 spoke lengths even on a front wheel.

You might check to see if Rolf has a paired spoke rim with the right drilling(s). I'd guess you can get replacement rims from Trek. Vuelta (Aeromax) has 24 hole paired spoke wheels. I don't know if they sell just rims, or if they have 20 hole rims. If you can't find anything off the shelf, perhaps you could get hold of undrilled Kinlins or Velocitys. Seems to me that sales guy had some rims custom drilled but I don't remember what brand.

thirdgenbird
06-03-2014, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure velocity used to offer paired spoke rims and custom drilling.

Admiral Ackbar
06-04-2014, 12:52 AM
on my paired spoke bontrager wheels (····ty selects) the hub drillings aren't paired or offset from each other so id imagine they could lace up just fine

rippledabs
06-06-2014, 11:05 AM
It's possible. Just need to bust out the old soh-cah-toa and calculate all different spoke lengths.

dsillito
03-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Hey all,

I have a set of Bontrager hubs from a set of Race Lite wheels where the rims wore out. Hoping to rebuild on a set of Archetype rims (20h front, 24h rear). The spoke hole drillings on the front hub flanges are evenly spaced, but the drillings on the rear hub flange are in pairs, as the original rims were a paired spoke design. The spoke holes from one flange to the other are not alternating (i.e. a spoke dropped down through one flange hits the other flange at a point not equidistant between two holes, but much closer to one than the other, if you see what I mean), and i'm not sure how this will affect the build either.

Would it just be a matter of getting the spokes in lengths I calculate to be right for a standard hub, building them up, and seeing by how much some seem longer or shorter than needed, and re-order if needed, as a last resort? There is zero chance my mathematical "skills" would be of any use here. I have rim washers on hand to take up a bit of slack if the spokes ended up slightly too long. What problems am I likely to run into? Ive built a few sets of wheels in the past, but nothing with this added complication.

Any thoughts? I was thinking of going with 2.0/1.8/2.0 double butted round spokes, front and rear. Front would be radially laced, rear 2x both sides, for a rider of 140 lbs max.

Thanks! :)