PDA

View Full Version : Which Tubulars for my carbon wheels

toronto-rider
06-03-2014, 01:05 PM
So ordered some carbon Tubular wheels from Asia.
Plan to use them on my weekend rides and races.
The wheels are 22.4 mm wide (inner rim)
The wheels can be seen here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1255g-Sapim-CX-RAY-Carbon-Tubular-Wheelset-700C-Rim-Powerway-R13-Road-Bike-40mm-/181383439396?pt=US_Wheels_Wheelsets&var=&hash=item6fd85fc017

What tubulars should I buy, I currently love my GP 4000S in 25 in my clincher wheels, but they are expensive and out of stock in the 25 in the tubular version.

What about Vittoria Corsa SC Tubular I can get them in 25 or 23.

Thanks

eBAUMANN
06-03-2014, 01:11 PM
with a rim that wide, i would recommend 25c tires and as far as brand is concerned, pretty hard to go wrong with any vittoria corsa (sc or evo) option.

FlashUNC
06-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Conti Competitions.

Or the Michelin Pro4 Service Courses.

Really liked both tires.

shovelhd
06-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Evo Corsa CX are out of production, replaced by the Corsa CX. These have latex tubes. If you don't want to deal with the hassle of latex tubes, get the Corsa Elite. Available in 25c, and oldpotato approved.

Joachim
06-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Conti Comps.

thegunner
06-03-2014, 02:15 PM
going to add to this party, veloflex carbons

kgreene10
06-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Regarding tire width, 25mm will obviously give you a nicer ride and the rolling resistance has been measured to be lower than skinnier tires, but aerodynamics are better with skinnier ones. I was surprised to find out that Zipp's aero data on their Firecrest rims comes from tubulars running 21mm tires.

So, it depends on your application. If for racing up hills, in a pack, or on uneven pavement, wider may be better. If for going fast in a TT or a breakaway and the pavement is pretty good, I would go with skinnier (though I personally wouldn't go less than 23mm).

ZOOMZOOM123
06-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Vittoria Paves for durability

christian
06-03-2014, 02:25 PM
It's the list your favorite tubular thread?

Vittoria Corsa Evo CG

oldpotatoe
06-03-2014, 02:43 PM
So ordered some carbon Tubular wheels from Asia.
Plan to use them on my weekend rides and races.
The wheels are 22.4 mm wide (inner rim)
The wheels can be seen here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1255g-Sapim-CX-RAY-Carbon-Tubular-Wheelset-700C-Rim-Powerway-R13-Road-Bike-40mm-/181383439396?pt=US_Wheels_Wheelsets&var=&hash=item6fd85fc017

What tubulars should I buy, I currently love my GP 4000S in 25 in my clincher wheels, but they are expensive and out of stock in the 25 in the tubular version.

What about Vittoria Corsa SC Tubular I can get them in 25 or 23.

Thanks

Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25. You won't even notice those 30 tpi or butyl vs latex tube. You will notice $30 or so less $.

buldogge
06-03-2014, 03:31 PM
I haven't tried the Elites yet...but...I really like the Corsa CX in 25mm.

I'm about to mount some of the 24mm Michelin Service Courses here shortly.

I can say...I have no use for the Conti GP4000 tubulars...might as well just run GP4000 clinchers (which I do like)!

-Mark in St. Louis

toronto-rider
06-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
As you can see I am not paying that much for the wheels, so trying to not spend $200 for tires.
Where do you guys buy tubulars from, especially in 25?
My go to place is Ribble out of the UK but they are all out of 25.

Next place is Shiny bikes. Also out of the UK,

They have the Corsa SC in stock is this an older tire - I like the look of the gum wall tires. Looks pro.

http://www.shinybikes.com/Vittoria-Corsa-SC-28x23-Tub-Para-Blk

One other quick question, carrying a spare, I presume I just buy the cheapest Tubular I can find, or Do I buy 3 of the same tires and carry that one as a spare?

Bantamben
06-03-2014, 04:29 PM
I've used vittoria veloflex and currently continental competitions. I've used corsa cx 2-3 etc. Great tires much nicer ride than conti and much easier to get on and off. The rubber on all contis is much less stretchy them vittorias.

I would reccomend corsa elites as they are cheaper but still light and corner and feel better than contis.

pavel
06-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Regarding tire width, 25mm will obviously give you a nicer ride and the rolling resistance has been measured to be lower than skinnier tires, but aerodynamics are better with skinnier ones. I was surprised to find out that Zipp's aero data on their Firecrest rims comes from tubulars running 21mm tires.

So, it depends on your application. If for racing up hills, in a pack, or on uneven pavement, wider may be better. If for going fast in a TT or a breakaway and the pavement is pretty good, I would go with skinnier (though I personally wouldn't go less than 23mm).

I bought these same wheels with the upgraded braking surface as i'm going to use them for CX. I have not glued them yet because I am faced with the same question, what tire width.

It should be noted that the rims are 27mm wide, and only 22.4 at the very tip of the brake track. They are effing gigantic, especially at such a low (40mm) profile. They really look like super beefy velocity blunts.

Can you even run 21's on something that big? It seems like the base tape wont even be wide enough.

kgreene10
06-03-2014, 11:25 PM
I couldn't locate the Zipp data I remember seeing, but here's something close. It shows that 22mm and 23mm tires are aerodynamically almost the same but 25s are a bit worse -- http://www.aeroweenie.com/assets/img/data/zippattack.png

fogrider
06-04-2014, 01:43 AM
I've used vittoria veloflex and currently continental competitions. I've used corsa cx 2-3 etc. Great tires much nicer ride than conti and much easier to get on and off. The rubber on all contis is much less stretchy them vittorias.

I would reccomend corsa elites as they are cheaper but still light and corner and feel better than contis.

I agree that veloflex and vittorias feel better than contis but I've found that running contis at a lower psi = better ride...the rubber on contis hold up better on the bay area roads.

Bantamben
06-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Your right contis rubber is much more cut resistant. It's very tough, vittoria or veloflex is much more stretchy but cuts easier. I've had the same contis on since last September. Although the are a pain in the deraiuler to change because the contis really resist stretching. So my back up spare is a old vittoria corsa cx. Also I use the bontrager tire sealant it comes in a small bottle it's white for 2.99$. It works great no flats . I shame it up and put half a bottle in each tire.

redir
06-04-2014, 08:57 AM
going to add to this party, veloflex carbons

Those and FMB's are my favourite!

Rob1519
06-04-2014, 01:28 PM
I couldn't locate the Zipp data I remember seeing, but here's something close. It shows that 22mm and 23mm tires are aerodynamically almost the same but 25s are a bit worse -- http://www.aeroweenie.com/assets/img/data/zippattack.png

I run a 23mm Vittoria Corsa CX Factor up front and a 25mm Vittoria Corsa CX on the rear. Trying to theoretically balance the best of both worlds.

By the way, the Factor can be had for $49.99.....I think I got mine from Excel Sports.