PDA

View Full Version : Rim tape. Is cloth better?

p nut
06-03-2014, 10:00 AM
I've usually used cloth rim tape, but this wheelset I bought 3 years ago came with vinyl (?) tape. I was changing a flat the other day and noticed that there were some severe indents on the spoke holes (sorry, don't know the technical term). This also caused some "bubbles" on the tube. Wondering it this rim tape will continue to stretch and cause issues, and if it would be wise to change to cloth rim tape.

SoCalSteve
06-03-2014, 10:18 AM
I've usually used cloth rim tape, but this wheelset I bought 3 years ago came with vinyl (?) tape. I was changing a flat the other day and noticed that there were some severe indents on the spoke holes (sorry, don't know the technical term). This also caused some "bubbles" on the tube. Wondering it this rim tape will continue to stretch and cause issikues, and if it would be wise to change to cloth rim tape.

The downside to cloth tape is that it is thicker and it can make it harder to install some tires...but this usually only happens when you have a weird wheel-tire combination.

If this isn't an issue with your situation, then by all means, use cloth rim strips.

foon
06-03-2014, 10:50 AM
No issue with cloth tape ever for me, and I reuse them.

Some of the plastic rim tape that comes with stock wheels aren't very good. Like you said, bad adhesive and stretching

Now I have a roll of high tensile strength tape from 3m, probably same as the other tapes for tubeless application out there. Works great. Tires go on extra easy because of the thiness. The $3 roll is enough for many, many wheels.

jtakeda
06-03-2014, 11:11 AM
The tape you're referencing will cause issues.

You'll get tiny punctures in your tubes that let air out so slow you barely notice until the holes get bigger.
Change to cloth tape.

John H.
06-03-2014, 11:41 AM
I used to be a huge fan of Velox tape- used for years.
Then I tried some Stan's tape- like the stuff that is used for tubeless mtb tires.
I think it is superior in every way. I am not going back to Velox.

weaponsgrade
06-03-2014, 12:22 PM
I've had good experiences with Veloplugs (as long as they fit the rim). They're reusable, tire is easy to change, and I think are a little lighter than tape.

p nut
06-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the inputs. I do have some tubeless tape for my mountain bikes, so maybe I'll try that first (Scotch film strapping tape from Amazon @ $4.70/roll). If that doesn't work out, I'll go for the cloth tape and check out the plugs as well.

JasonF
06-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Rox tape is very thin and highly regarded for use with "tough" rims such as Campy Neutrons. Unfortunately, the tape shifted, curled and exposed the spoke hole after about 6 months of normal use resulting in a couple pinch flats. I couldn't figure out what the problem was with flatting until I inspected the tape.

Per Old Potatoe's recommendation, I bought some Conti Easy Tape and problem solved.

Tony
06-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Then I tried some Stan's tape- like the stuff that is used for tubeless mtb tires.

It's what I now use on all my rims, light, strong, thin, excellent tape!

Likes2ridefar
06-03-2014, 01:02 PM
I've had good experiences with Veloplugs (as long as they fit the rim). They're reusable, tire is easy to change, and I think are a little lighter than tape.

i've had a few tubes ruined using veloplugs.

like John H, i've been very pleased with stan's tape. it's super light, thin, and very strong.

GregL
06-03-2014, 01:03 PM
I've had great luck with Zipp rim tape (http://www.zipp.com/accessories/zipp-16-mm-rim-tape---white-700c-or-650c/). I've used it for 5+ years with zero flats on the insides of my tubes. Reliable, light weight, waterproof, reasonable price, available in multiple widths, and easier to mount tires than cloth tape. What's not to like?

- Greg

ColonelJLloyd
06-03-2014, 01:04 PM
i used to be a huge fan of velox tape- used for years.
Then i tried some stan's tape- like the stuff that is used for tubeless mtb tires.
I think it is superior in every way. I am not going back to velox.

+1

eBAUMANN
06-03-2014, 01:14 PM
You can also use gorilla tape for both tubed or tubeless applications…works pretty great and is relatively cheap.

roydyates
06-03-2014, 01:27 PM

This is my recent experience too. In particular, if you are using a tubeless ready rim, cloth tape can make it impossible to mount the tires while with stans tape the mounting is easy.

However, I have 20+ year old wheels with velox cloth tape where the cloth tape is fine. I wonder if Stans tape will last that long. Also if you need to replace a spoke, cloth tape can be untaped and retaped after the spoke replacement. I've never tried to do that with Stans and I would guess that I don't want to try it.

In short, if I have a rim that tires mount easily with cloth tape, I will be happy to stick with cloth tape.

p nut
06-03-2014, 03:39 PM
You can also use gorilla tape for both tubed or tubeless applications…works pretty great and is relatively cheap.

Only issue with Gorilla Tape is if you have to replace the tape. Messy clean up. I've used it on tubeless applications with good success, but the Scotch strapping tape does just as well with no messy clean up.

bluesea
06-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Velofuze tape from ebay looks and feels like Stan's, and comes sized for standard rims widths as well (18mm). Cloth tape is fine for most oem rims that size relatively loose (like Mavic), where the cost of tubeless tape would be a waste.

jamesutiopia
06-03-2014, 05:22 PM
I like veloplugs, but cloth tape works fine too. Not a big difference

smead
06-03-2014, 07:06 PM
3M packing tape has worked great for me, and if you're a weight weenie, it weighs next to nothing.

Veloplugs claim that they take up less space than rim tape and make tire installation easier. I've had several wheels with veloplugs and have experienced just the opposite. They stick out about 1-2mm above each hole, add that up for each hole and they make folding on tight tires nearly impossible. The bead will not stay on the sides of the plugs when deflated, so most of the plugs are pusing up a tire during installation 1-2 mm. Most combos I had were velo aerohead rims w/ pr3s - I have strong hands/fingers, but pr3s would have to be levered on/off which is a PITA.

54ny77
06-03-2014, 07:19 PM
That's all I use. No issues with mounting tires on any rim set I have. It's thin, it's re-usable, it's cheap, it works.

I've had great luck with Zipp rim tape (http://www.zipp.com/accessories/zipp-16-mm-rim-tape---white-700c-or-650c/). I've used it for 5+ years with zero flats on the insides of my tubes. Reliable, light weight, waterproof, reasonable price, available in multiple widths, and easier to mount tires than cloth tape. What's not to like?

- Greg

rustychisel
06-03-2014, 09:14 PM
3M packing tape has worked great for me, and if you're a weight weenie, it weighs next to nothing.

It ain't rocket science, so you can get away with just about anything in the short term.

Longer term, no. You want something that just does the job and doesn't cause problems. Cloth [Velox] for me. If I did a lot of wet weather riding I'd likely factor in the possibility of rot.

54ny77
06-03-2014, 09:31 PM
wouldn't the glue on packing tape heat up and cause sliding, and the tape itself deform?

buldogge
06-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Schwalbe synthetic blue cloth…thin, tough, light...comes in (2) widths.

-Mark in St. Louis

smead
06-03-2014, 10:17 PM
wouldn't the glue on packing tape heat up and cause sliding, and the tape itself deform?

Seems like it could although I've not experienced that ..

ColonelJLloyd
06-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Velofuze tape from ebay looks and feels like Stan's, and comes sized for standard rims widths as well (18mm). Cloth tape is fine for most oem rims that size relatively loose (like Mavic), where the cost of tubeless tape would be a waste.

Tubeless tape is cheaper per rim if you're not setting it up tubeless (meaning you only need one layer).

ShaneAtSilca
06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
... Cloth [Velox] for me...
+1 for aluminum rims with tubes, Though there is always room for improvement and "fancy" carpet fiber wheels and tubeless deserve or require other options.