PDA

View Full Version : ben.serotta.bloggin

AngryScientist
06-03-2014, 08:51 AM
interesting....

http://benserotta.com/

54ny77
06-03-2014, 09:00 AM
for some reason, i'm reminded of the story years ago when president george bush (sr.) first experienced a scanner in a grocery store line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akLjzTisZoI

bobswire
06-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Good story,I'm happy for Ben. Life has not been a bowl of cherries for him these last few years yet Serotta continued to make marvelous bikes however the end.

thwart
06-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Good blog post, IMO.

Ben has done his share of causing sweaty palms when one first sees THE BOX...

rounder
06-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Good story.

CNY rider
06-03-2014, 12:18 PM
My guess: This is foreshadowing of an impending business relationship.

All my best wishes to Ben.

chomeo
06-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Great read. I like that he kept me wanting to read the next paragraph to see Ben bringing back the Serotta name in cycling.

MadeinGermany
06-03-2014, 05:56 PM
I receive and e-mail update from Formigli from time to time. The recent update was headlined 'Ben Serotta's ONE' and continued:

"Renzo Formigli makes one frame a year as a gift Win a Frame on our website. For a bike lover, there is nothing like someone giving you a bike...This year Renzo decided to make 2 gift frames, one specifically for someone.

Ben Serotta is considered, by Italian old school frame builders like Renzo, as one of the greats in the history of frame builders. Renzo told me they all respect both the exceptional quality and build of Serotta's bikes back in the day, as well as his achievements of making frames that raced in the Tour D'France and in the Olympic Games of 1984.

When I told Renzo about Ben's life today, Renzo told me, "Let's build him a bike, - frame builder to frame builder. I do not speak English, but for me to have a conversation this way with Ben, speak to one another in language only known by builders, would be an honor." And this is the story."

sevencyclist
06-03-2014, 06:08 PM
I receive and e-mail update from Formigli from time to time. The recent update was headlined 'Ben Serotta's ONE' and continued:

"Renzo Formigli makes one frame a year as a gift Win a Frame on our website. For a bike lover, there is nothing like someone giving you a bike...This year Renzo decided to make 2 gift frames, one specifically for someone.

Ben Serotta is considered, by Italian old school frame builders like Renzo, as one of the greats in the history of frame builders. Renzo told me they all respect both the exceptional quality and build of Serotta's bikes back in the day, as well as his achievements of making frames that raced in the Tour D'France and in the Olympic Games of 1984.

When I told Renzo about Ben's life today, Renzo told me, "Let's build him a bike, - frame builder to frame builder. I do not speak English, but for me to have a conversation this way with Ben, speak to one another in language only known by builders, would be an honor." And this is the story."

Cool story! I love the mutual respect aspect of bike building community. I see it frequently between some of the builders hanging out here and across the hall.

pjmsj21
06-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Very very cool story....thanks for sharing.

leooooo
06-03-2014, 06:13 PM
And this is the story

Honestly didnt care for the company, till I read this. Kinda cool, thanks for sharing.

vqdriver
06-03-2014, 06:35 PM
very cool story.
thank you for sharing.

54ny77
06-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Formigli makes some pretty bikes. All handmade in Italy (or so say the words and pictures). The main guy's been around a long long time. If I recall, the US distributor/company was owned by a woman and based out of San Luis Obispo, CA. At least that's how it was 5-6 yrs or so ago. Dunno what exists today.

Len J
06-03-2014, 06:48 PM
What a great gift (both the bike & the Blog entry.

Len

NickR
06-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Good read had me hook.

SpokeValley
06-03-2014, 07:20 PM
I subscribed to Ben's blog and saw this today. (He's a darned good writer IMHO)

It really is a cool story and I'd not heard of Formigli; but Ben's description of receiving the bike and eyeballing/riding it from a master's perspective is really interesting.

There certainly is a teaser at the end.

Birddog
06-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Formigli follows functionale. That's why it's a good frame.

pbarry
06-03-2014, 09:50 PM
I've read all of Ben's blog posts, and I'm a fan of the brand, and own two. Utterly amazed that neither Ben nor rustrylion has not, since the dissolution, devoted a 1,000 + word essay to all the workers who actually built S bikes, and had nothing to do with the financial machinations that brought everything down.

Please direct me to information that I've missed somehow..

Dired
06-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Thanks for posting, subscribed.

oldpotatoe
06-04-2014, 07:53 AM
I've read all of Ben's blog posts, and I'm a fan of the brand, and own two. Utterly amazed that neither Ben nor rustrylion has not, since the dissolution, devoted a 1,000 + word essay to all the workers who actually built S bikes, and had nothing to do with the financial machinations that brought everything down.

Yep...

pdmtong
06-04-2014, 08:05 AM
For the designer of the Serotta trivia board game: Ben likes campy.

Ahneida Ride
06-04-2014, 09:19 AM

They are the unsung heroes.

54ny77
06-04-2014, 09:29 AM
that's a keen observation.

unless there's been machinations behind the scenes where both individuals you mentioned worked extensively to help employees land elsewhere and secure jobs, and they chose to simply not bring that up publicly.

the record doesn't exactly help bolster that potential argument, however:

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/app.html#d=*yOct7Ix0fplyoyf1Qiduw

this subject is moaning from being beaten to death, but it's so instructive on so many levels from a business practices observation standpoint. and sad, frankly.

FlashUNC
06-04-2014, 09:36 AM
that's a keen observation.

unless there's been machinations behind the scenes where both individuals you mentioned worked extensively to help employees land elsewhere and secure jobs, and they chose to simply not bring that up publicly.

the record doesn't exactly help bolster that potential argument, however:

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/app.html#d=*yOct7Ix0fplyoyf1Qiduw

this subject is moaning from being beaten to death, but it's so instructive on so many levels from a business practices observation standpoint. and sad, frankly.

Any word on the resolution of that case?

bironi
06-04-2014, 09:40 AM
That is a perty bike.

fuzzalow
06-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Not trying to be a downer here but - Meh.

Waxing poetic about a open-mold bike. Wax ever more grand-eloquently still about ones-self.This bicycle has refreshed my spirit and reawakened the designer-entrepreneur-builder in me that had been tainted from the last couple years of, you know,…crap.Poor baby, all the bricks came tumbling onto poor innocent Ben who was just standin' around.

I wish Ben the best. IMO his one golden providence and opportunity came and went long, long ago. And sometimes in life, few are even blessed with getting that one shot or lucky break. I have no interest in seeing Ben flounder through another reinvention and incarnation of Ben. But his involvement with a molded bike, at least this time the blast radius will be minimized.

ckamp
06-04-2014, 11:07 AM
That was a good read, Ben has a great writing style!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shovelhd
06-04-2014, 12:07 PM
How do you know it is an open mold design?

Joachim
06-04-2014, 12:11 PM
How do you know it is an open mold design?

+1. Its custom sizing. I'm not sure how an open mold design can give rise to custom angles, tube length etc etc (unless there is some different understanding to what constitutes an "open mold" frame).

El Chaba
06-04-2014, 02:02 PM
+1. Its custom sizing. I'm not sure how an open mold design can give rise to custom angles, tube length etc etc (unless there is some different understanding to what constitutes an "open mold" frame).

Formigli makes an exceptional bike. If one is mistaken for an "open mold" it is understandable as it would not be the first time that they made a frame to look like something mass produced...

DRZRM
06-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Is it so hard to follow the link and look at the "custom carbon" button? Don're mean to pick a fight, but the company likely cares about their reputation...

http://www.formigli.com/Library/images/Gallery/Carbon/01.jpg

Not trying to be a downer here but - Meh.

Waxing poetic about a open-mold bike. Wax ever more grand-eloquently still about ones-self.Poor baby, all the bricks came tumbling onto poor innocent Ben who was just standin' around.

I wish Ben the best. IMO his one golden providence and opportunity came and went long, long ago. And sometimes in life, few are even blessed with getting that one shot or lucky break. I have no interest in seeing Ben flounder through another reinvention and incarnation of Ben. But his involvement with a molded bike, at least this time the blast radius will be minimized.

fuzzalow
06-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Is it so hard to follow the link and look at the "custom carbon" button?

I don't know what link you are referring to. Was there a link in this thread? Can you see things I can't?
Don're mean to pick a fight, but the company likely cares about their reputation...
If I am incorrect, it was an honest mistake on my part accentuated by the hysteria of some in this thread to play "Gotcha". So sue me.

Your picture posted of the fabrication of the frame of the builder under discussion is intriguing, to say the least. Looks like simple butted or chamfer joined tube junctures slathered in epoxy bonding agent. Really? Best of luck to them.

54ny77
06-04-2014, 05:53 PM
fuzz, that's italian meringue buttercream.

Looks like simple butted or chamfer joined tube junctures slathered in epoxy bonding agent. Really? Best of luck to them.

DRZRM
06-04-2014, 08:04 PM
THe link (http://benserotta.com/) in this thread went to Ben's blog that ended with "For more information about Formigli Bicycles go to: www.Formigli.com (http://www.formigli.com/cm/Home.html)". When you called their frames open-molded (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1560275&postcount=26) in your post I figured you'd looked at the site and were not just basing that on a picture in Ben's blog. At the top of their page, is a link called Technology (http://www.formigli.com/cm/Technology/Home.html), in it are links, with lots of pictures, called Carbon Build (http://www.formigli.com/cm/Technology/Carbon-Build.html) and Carbon Tubes (http://www.formigli.com/cm/Technology/Carbon-Tubes.html). Pretty detailed descriptions of their in house carbon builds.

If you don't like their fabrication process, that's a different point, and one I'm neither really qualified to take on nor is it an argument I'm interested in making. I don't own any carbon bikes, so I don't follow the process much.

To dismiss Ben's post first because he is "waxing poetic about a open-mold bike" seemed undermined by the fact that the company custom draws their tubes in Italy. As for the rest of your critique, if that's how you feel, by all means you should share it.

Given that many folks will read about Formigli for the first time through this forum (I'd never heard about them until reading Ben's blog) I figured I'd try to set the record straight. Seemed like a nice gesture designed to win them some positive publicity. Seems a shame for them to come out of it identified as a company importing Chinese open-mold frames.

I don't know what link you are referring to. Was there a link in this thread? Can you see things I can't?

If I am incorrect, it was an honest mistake on my part accentuated by the hysteria of some in this thread to play "Gotcha". So sue me.

Your picture posted of the fabrication of the frame of the builder under discussion is intriguing, to say the least. Looks like simple butted or chamfer joined tube junctures slathered in epoxy bonding agent. Really? Best of luck to them.

eippo1
06-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Regardless of the back-story and all the baggage that goes with it, I still really enjoyed the read. Kinda like how I enjoyed the Lance changing a tire video. Sometimes, we should just enjoy the flowers and not think about all the weeds.

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

fuzzalow
06-04-2014, 08:41 PM
THe link (http://benserotta.com/) in this thread went to Ben's blog that ended with "For more information about Formigli Bicycles go to: www.Formigli.com (http://www.formigli.com/cm/Home.html)". When you called their frames open-molded (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1560275&postcount=26) in your post I figured you'd looked at the site and were not just basing that on a picture in Ben's blog. At the top of their page, is a link called Technology (http://www.formigli.com/cm/Technology/Home.html), in it are links, with lots of pictures, called Carbon Build (http://www.formigli.com/cm/Technology/Carbon-Build.html) and Carbon Tubes (http://www.formigli.com/cm/Technology/Carbon-Tubes.html). Pretty detailed descriptions of their in house carbon builds.

If you don't like their fabrication process, that's a different point, and one I'm neither really qualified to take on nor is it an argument I'm interested in making. I don't own any carbon bikes, so I don't follow the process much.

To dismiss Ben's post first because he is "waxing poetic about a open-mold bike" seemed undermined by the fact that the company custom draws their tubes in Italy. As for the rest of your critique, if that's how you feel, by all means you should share it.

Given that many folks will read about Formigli for the first time through this forum (I'd never heard about them until reading Ben's blog) I figured I'd try to set the record straight. Seemed like a nice gesture designed to win them some positive publicity. Seems a shame for them to come out of it identified as a company importing Chinese open-mold frames.

Thou doth protest too much.

93legendti
06-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Thou doth protest too much.

Funny.

You made an assumption, but stated it as fact. You also took a pot shot at Ben. You were proven wrong. Apparently, you don't like that.

Way to go.

Perhaps the real issue you have is with Ben. Sorry if he has hurt you.

Amazing that someone expressing their appreciation of a gift can bring out the haters and/or cred seekers. :rolleyes:

Black Dog
06-04-2014, 09:34 PM

No one is playing gotcha. There is no hysteria. Stop deflecting attention from the fact that you made a very incorrect comment about a builder without any attempt to fact check. Passive aggressive much? Here is a quote from the actual company that builds these frames:

Formigli builds every frame with a tube-to-tube construction process. Building tube-to-tube allows for the creation of a custom frame based on each individual's specific body measurements. Tube-to-tube design also enables us to use superior carbon that varies in layers and composition.

In contrast, 98% of other road bikes are now made in Asia--using a monocoque mold process, which takes hours to produce and paint a frame versus Formigli's process which takes 6-8 weeks.

krhea
06-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Funny.

You made an assumption, but stated it as fact. You also took a pot shot at Ben. You were proven wrong. Apparently, you don't like that.

Way to go.

Perhaps the real issue you have is with Ben. Sorry if he has hurt you.

Amazing that someone expressing their appreciation of a gift can bring out the haters and/or cred seekers. :rolleyes:

Well said "99".

CNY rider
06-05-2014, 05:16 AM
Well said "99".

Mega-dittos!:beer:

572cv
06-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Formigli did something very, very nice, and it had a profound positive effect on Ben, which he has articulated in a heartfelt way.

That is the essence of this moment, a gesture, a paying it forward effort. Would that it were not uncommon.

I am glad that Ben Serotta, who has given my rides a lot of joy, has had this unexpected gift and perhaps a turn around for his spirits and life going forward.

93legendti
06-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Well said "99".

Thank you.

paredown
06-05-2014, 08:02 AM
A nice story--and it reminded me of Greg Lemond's offer of a bike to this journalist (I happened to stumble across this the other day):

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/whatever-happened-greg-lemond?page=0,0

El Chaba
06-05-2014, 08:17 AM

You have no idea what you are talking about....Those joints will be wrapped in carbon cloth with more resin and then finished. It is called "tube to tube construction"....It requires quite a bit of skill and time to do it properly, which is why it is only done by a few makers at the tip top of the market.

Ahneida Ride
06-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Let's not forget the genesis of this place.

It all started on Kahuna's Serotta Phorum ...

Ben was then so gracious that he funded it for about 10 years or so.

Thanks Ben ! :banana: :banana:

johnmdesigner
06-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Let's not forget the genesis of this place.

It all started on Kahuna's Serotta Phorum ...

Ben was then so gracious that he funded it for about 10 years or so.

Thanks Ben ! :banana: :banana:

Well said.

And on the subject of moderators - while I respect and appreciate those who moderate here I think sometimes a line is crossed when a moderator shows a preference to an individual or company or expresses their opinion in a thread. A moderator is someone who guides the conversation. He, She should remain neutral on the topic.

Ahneida Ride
06-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Well said.

And on the subject of moderators - while I respect and appreciate those who moderate here I think sometimes a line is crossed when a moderator shows a preference to an individual or company or expresses their opinion in a thread. A moderator is someone who guides the conversation. He, She should remain neutral on the topic.

I can't recall any time a mod here shut down a threat cause he got flack.
As Mods we can't have opinions?

Participating is fun and is the whole point of the Phorum.

54ny77
06-05-2014, 09:48 AM
no gripe about mods offering their own opinion. being a mod is a thankless job as is.

that said, it would be great if the admins could change the software so mod posts can be "ignored" just like any regular members.

johnmdesigner
06-05-2014, 09:56 AM
I can't recall any time a mod here shut down a threat cause he got flack.
As Mods we can't have opinions?

Participating is fun and is the whole point of the Phorum.

Two moderators (who should know better) have started threads about Serotta. This one and the ugly bike thread. Both have run their course and the tribes have squared off - those that love Serotta and those that hate them. Then the pro tribe jumps in who are shocked, SHOCKED! that anyone might find a Serotta frame "ugly".
Perhaps it's a good time to start a Galuzetti thread and see what the responses are.
It's boring and I'm kind of surprised that the Mods started it. I thought we had moved on.
If you don't have anything new to talk about take a break. So far the rest of the Community has been coming up with good topics.

gasman
06-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Two moderators (who should know better) have started threads about Serotta. This one and the ugly bike thread. Both have run their course and the tribes have squared off - those that love Serotta and those that hate them. Then the pro tribe jumps in who are shocked, SHOCKED! that anyone might find a Serotta frame "ugly".
Perhaps it's a good time to start a Galuzetti thread and see what the responses are.
It's boring and I'm kind of surprised that the Mods started it. I thought we had moved on.
If you don't have anything new to talk about take a break. So far the rest of the Community has been coming up with good topics.

The ugly bike thread was not started by a mod but a well respected member. That thread took a wrong turn when the OP was really about the over the top ad for a bike. It became a pro - anti - Serotta thread which was silly.

This thread was started with the best of intentions like most threads but people took it in a direction not originally intended . This happens at times and I feel my job as mod is to make sure the posts don't go over the edge ie. personal attacks, baiting , etc

Being a mod is a thankless job and is done on our own time for the love of bikes and this community with no compensation. We all have day jobs and are just doing the best we can.

shovelhd
06-05-2014, 10:41 AM
I thought it was started to show an act of kindness. I must be naive.

AngryScientist
06-05-2014, 10:48 AM
I thought it was started to show an act of kindness. I must be naive.

i started the thread because i thought it was an interesting blog post by a gentleman who many of us are familiar with.

the notion that the moderators can not express preferences or opinions in threads is just silly. none of us get paid to moderate the forum, why one earth we be here at all if we cant have discussions in a discussion forum?

johnmdesigner
06-05-2014, 10:48 AM
The ugly bike thread was not started by a mod but a well respected member. That thread took a wrong turn when the OP was really about the over the top ad for a bike. It became a pro - anti - Serotta thread which was silly.

This thread was started with the best of intentions like most threads but people took it in a direction not originally intended . This happens at times and I feel my job as mod is to make sure the posts don't go over the edge ie. personal attacks, baiting , etc

Being a mod is a thankless job and is done on our own time for the love of bikes and this community with no compensation. We all have day jobs and are just doing the best we can.

I stand corrected. I thought the other poster was a Mod. My apologies.
Perhaps it would have been better to post Ben's Blog as a locked sticky. Then if someone from the community wished to start a thread about it they could do so.
I receive criticism all the time. Some of it is justified. Some is not. I try to learn something from it and not take it personally.

GeorgeTSquirrel
06-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Great post, thanks for sharing!

It's a shame that some members can't just either a) appreciate or b) ignore.
Thank you mods, for all the hard work you do... putting out fires, removing spam, keeping this place friendly and enjoyable to the best of your ability; all while still allowing the occasional complainer to say their piece.

johnmdesigner
06-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Great post, thanks for sharing!

It's a shame that some members can't just either a) appreciate or b) ignore.
Thank you mods, for all the hard work you do... putting out fires, removing spam, keeping this place friendly and enjoyable to the best of your ability; all while still allowing the occasional complainer to say their piece.

Thank you.
Let the ignoring begin.

93legendti
06-05-2014, 11:28 AM

I own 3 Serottas and ride them often, hence my love for the brand.

What is the basis of this "hate" for Serottas (and this Ben Serotta as well?!) you talk about?

93legendti
06-05-2014, 11:29 AM
you have no idea what you are talking about....those joints will be wrapped in carbon cloth with more resin and then finished. It is called "tube to tube construction"....it requires quite a bit of skill and time to do it properly, which is why it is only done by a few makers at the tip top of the market.

+1

oldpotatoe
06-05-2014, 12:43 PM
I own 3 Serottas and ride them often, hence my love for the brand.

What is the basis of this "hate" for Serottas (and this Ben Serotta as well?!) you talk about?

PM me.

93legendti
06-05-2014, 12:53 PM
PM me.

Thanks, but I am not really interested in private explanations for public behavior. I love my Serotta bikes because they ride great and hold up. I would love another Legend ST. I am sorry people hate Serotta bikes and/or Ben Serotta.

oldpotatoe
06-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks, but I am not really interested in private explanations for public behavior. I love my Serotta bikes because they ride great and hold up. I would love another Legend ST. I am sorry people hate Serotta bikes and/or Ben Serotta.

"What is the basis of this "hate" for Serottas (and this Ben Serotta as well?!) you talk about?"

I guess you aren't interested in any basis for this after all then?

Fine with me.

William
06-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Well, if you all hit the ignore button on me....the entire Builder Spotlight section will disappear.:eek:

:):)

William

FlashUNC
06-05-2014, 02:05 PM

The lawsuit posted earlier in the thread alleging some very uncool stuff around paying employees (or, in this case, allegedly not paying them) is probably one of several reasons.