PDA

View Full Version : Review of Shimano XTR Di2

bobswire
06-02-2014, 01:52 PM
This makes more sense to me for mountain bikes than it does for the road version.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/05/bikes-and-tech/lennard-zinns-take-shimano-xtr-di2_330064

crownjewelwl
06-02-2014, 02:00 PM
makes more sense until you get a stick in the derailleur!

vqdriver
06-02-2014, 02:02 PM
i find that replacement costs become a reality more on mtbs than for road. i'll wait for the xt or slx version.

i want that sequential shifting and wish sram went in that direction with their road electric instead of the two-lever front shifting.

crownjewelwl
06-02-2014, 02:21 PM
at least sram will just send you replacements!

gdw
06-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Yawn. Can't remember having many problems shifting since hyperglide cassettes were introduced and pins and ramps were added to chainrings 20+ years ago. What real benefits does it offer other than lightening the buyers wallet?

bobswire
06-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Yawn. Can't remember having many problems shifting since hyperglide cassettes were introduced and pins and ramps were added to chainrings 20+ years ago. What real benefits does it offer other than lightening the buyers wallet?

Yeah, that's what they said about automatic shifters some 55 years ago, I know I was there learning to drive 3 speed shifter on the column. My instructor was claiming the same thing you are saying about auto shifters,what benefits does it offer than cost you more money.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Anyway I'm a stick in the mud myself and see no benefit for electronic shifters on bicycles too but obviously they are here to stay judging by the popularity and sales of them just from the small demographic from this forum.

BTW the old stick in a derailleur is just as troublesome on cable linkage too.
Comes with the territory.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/first-look-cannondale-2015-f-si-29-carbon

christian
06-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Let me be very very clear. The difference between me and billionaire me comes down to three things:

1) A 2014 Honda Odyssey (to replace the 2010)
2) A wood-fired sauna in my bathroom
3) An Ibis Mojo with XTR Di2

crownjewelwl
06-02-2014, 03:12 PM
BTW the old stick in a derailleur is just as troublesome on cable linkage too.
Comes with the territory.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/first-look-cannondale-2015-f-si-29-carbon

I meant with regard to replacement cost...

crownjewelwl
06-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Let me be very very clear. The difference between me and billionaire me comes down to three things:

1) A 2014 Honda Odyssey (to replace the 2010)
2) A wood-fired sauna in my bathroom
3) An Ibis Mojo with XTR Di2

Mojo HDR 650B right?

bluesea
06-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Yeah, that's what they said about automatic shifters some 55 years ago, I know I was there learning to drive 3 speed shifter on the column. My instructor was claiming the same thing you are saying about auto shifters,what benefits does it offer than cost you more money.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Anyway I'm a stick in the mud myself and see no benefit for electronic shifters on bicycles too but obviously they are here to stay judging by the popularity and sales of them just from the small demographic from this forum.

As you remember three speed column has first and reverse in the same gate, which is the best for rocking out of the mud, lol.

bobswire
06-02-2014, 08:02 PM
As you remember three speed column has first and reverse in the same gate, which is the best for rocking out of the mud, lol.

Good catch and true.

sfscott
06-02-2014, 08:15 PM
From the review, it sounds great. Add in the wireless, and I would have to seriously think about moving off of Campy.

Campy, please out innovate the big S.

thirdgenbird
06-02-2014, 08:54 PM
From the review, it sounds great. Add in the wireless, and I would have to seriously think about moving off of Campy.

Campy, please out innovate the big S.

Forget wireless. The PRO bar and stem with internal routing give you wires that are hidden, smaller components, a central battery, and it's less likely to loose signal. It might be more work to set up, but I'm banking that it is easier to live with day to day.

Dave Wages
06-02-2014, 10:20 PM
As some may know, I'm a fan of Di2, but what really intrigues me about the XTR Di2 is the ability to mix this rear derailleur on the road groups to make for a super wide range setup for gravel racing or super hilly riding. With this, there is really no need for a triple anymore, a compact crank with an 11 speed 11x40 cassette should get just about anyone up any hill.

I've been using a 7970 Di2 rear derailleur with a K-Edge long cage modification for the last couple years on my Strada Fango gravel bike and I love it. So the setup as I have it now is a 44x30 XTR crank up front with an 11x34 cassette in the back. I even custom bent the driveside chainstay so I could get the front derailleur low enough for the 44 big ring, but I think the new 11spd Ultegra stuff with an XTR rear derailleur would be an even better solution without any aftermarket mods.

As for pure mountain bike riding, the sequential shifting of the XTR Di2 sounds really interesting as well, I'd love to give that a test ride!

Cheers,
Dave

Louis
06-02-2014, 11:56 PM
With this, there is really no need for a triple anymore, a compact crank with an 11 speed 11x40 cassette should get just about anyone up any hill.

Wait a minute - XTR now comes with 11x40 cassettes? I thought 34 was big - 40T is like having a dinner plate back there! Is this only for Di2 groups?

crownjewelwl
06-03-2014, 04:23 AM
Wait a minute - XTR now comes with 11x40 cassettes? I thought 34 was big - 40T is like having a dinner plate back there! Is this only for Di2 groups?

11x40 was for the previously announced 1x setup

Mikej
06-03-2014, 06:32 AM
11x40 was for the previously announced 1x setup

I think they only have the 11x40, no other options. Or am I wrong?

Nebby
06-03-2014, 07:55 AM
I think they only have the 11x40, no other options. Or am I wrong?

You're correct, the XTR M9000 groupset only has a single cassette. :)