PDA

View Full Version : Used drive train parts?

Tony
06-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Over the past couple years I've seen used cass, rings, and even chains in the classifieds. I've been tempted several times in buying but didn't think it wise to purchase used drive train parts.
Those of you that have would you do it again?
Thanks

thegunner
06-02-2014, 01:29 PM
doesn't this really depend on how used something is?

most of the times i've gotten something from the forum, it's been:

1) well described
2) far less used than described

i have ZERO hesitance in going this route (but then again, i recognize the names that i'm buying from most of the time)

saab2000
06-02-2014, 01:31 PM
No doubt about it. Pennies on the dollar. Value for money.

I buy my chains and bar tape new and that's about it. But I'm pretty discerning and know what to look for.

I've even bought used tubulars and have a large supply of Veloflex as a result.... They were barely used in some cases.

Pennies on the dollar.

christian
06-02-2014, 01:45 PM
I've bought a couple of used special event cassettes (e.g. 13-29) from internet-friend sellers (e.g. akelman, pdmtong). Other than that, no.

shovelhd
06-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Yes. Half my race bike is comprised of used parts. It's the only way I could afford too tier gear.

christian
06-02-2014, 01:53 PM
I don't think the question is about drivetrain parts. It's about drivetrain WEAR parts, i.e. chain, cassette, chainrings.

vqdriver
06-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Yes. Half my race bike is comprised of used parts. It's the only way I could afford too tier gear.

agree, me too. no way i could justify this stuff if i had to pay retail.

I don't think the question is about drivetrain parts. It's about drivetrain WEAR parts, i.e. chain, cassette, chainrings.

i've bought used cranks and cassettes without issue. to the op, if i know the names i don't hesitate. chains are cheap, i buy new.

shovelhd
06-02-2014, 01:59 PM
My SRM is used. Five out of six Dura Ace cassettes I own I bought used. Both sets of carbon wheels were bought used. My entire 7970 gearset was bought used. Always new chains and Ultegra training cassettes.

kramnnim
06-02-2014, 02:00 PM
It's not advised to buy slightly used 11 speed Campy chains/cassettes here. Well, cassettes are fine if they are 11-23 or 12-25. ;)

shovelhd
06-02-2014, 02:02 PM
I've had a dud. Goes with the territory.

thirdgenbird
06-02-2014, 02:04 PM
I generally try and buy used (record 10) components and then match it with new veloce cassettes and centaur chains.

I would consider buying used cassettes if they were either from someone I trusted or cheap and only needed for a specific application (see Christian's example)

donevwil
06-02-2014, 02:06 PM
I have purchased four used cassettes with a 50/50 success rate. Evidently in two cases the seller's "lightly used" was actually "used up". Shortly thereafter I did a bulk 13-26 and 13-29 order from Ribble since those ratios were going away (I am not personally fond of the 12-27 & 12-30).

Cassettes, chains, tires, tubes, bartape and cables/housing are the only items I buy new and even two of my bikes get recycled cables and housing. I bought a bulk box of new KMC chains off ebay, quite an outlay initially, but a bargain when broken down. I run early 2000 era 10 spd on all bikes.

roydyates
06-02-2014, 02:30 PM
I generally avoid buying used cassettes. However, I did buy an 11-36 10 spd cassette from BicycleTricycle that has run smoothly for many miles now. I also received an old 8-speed cassette from somewhere (I suspect it may have been a random free bonus item from Liberace) that is also in current use.

Like others here have said, my experiences with sellers here on the forum have been extremely positive. People here really take good care of their gear. Items are almost invariably a little better (or a lot better) than the descriptions suggest.

Tony
06-02-2014, 02:33 PM

Yes, thank you.

Over the years I've seen cass and rings that had obvious wear, some very wear. I was asking for those who bought these used items...cass, rings, and chains, were you ok with that purchase? Would you buy used (cass, rings, chain) again?

I've purchased used here several times and have been VERY pleased with those sellers, so yes I think that makes a big difference in how secure I feel with that sellers description of a item.

GeorgeTSquirrel
06-02-2014, 02:43 PM
you win some, you lose some...

I've had good luck with most drive train components, getting parts with little or no wear. I've only really had one bust so far, which was a dynamo hub that has bad/worn cones that are no longer available as a replacement part.

shovelhd
06-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes I will buy used again to upgrade to 11sp.

regularguy412
06-02-2014, 07:47 PM
I had a good experience purchasing 2 different items thru the classifieds. One was a 1" x 26.0 x 120 mm -17 threadless etched Serotta titanium stem. It was in perfect condition and is still in use today on my CSI. I have also purchased a very slightly used Shimano 39 tooth 10 speed small chain ring. It, too, is still in use today. The seller unfortunately no longer posts on this forum. I think what it boils down to is knowing with whom you are dealing. Two thumbs up for Forumite purchases/sales from me.

Mike in AR:beer:

DRZRM
06-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I've bought nearly everything here used, even bar tape (black handlebra, looks like new) but no chains and no more cassettes. I picked up an few used cassettes on the forum, several were fine, two skipped right out of the box (well ziplock bag)...live and learn. I don't worry as much about chainrings, I guess you can see if they are shark-finning. Cables, housing, chains, cassettes, bar tape...I guess lights too (never know how many cycles those batteries have been charged through) just don't seem worth messing around with.

hida yanra
06-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Yes. Half my race bike is comprised of used parts. It's the only way I could afford top tier gear.
Indeed, it's still about pushing on the pedals.
Good work on getting that SRM btw- it's the right piece of gear for you :)

No doubt about it.
<snip>
I buy my chains and bar tape new and that's about it.
<snip>
I've even bought used tubulars
Pennies on the dollar.

x2, I've had few-to-no issues on this and a similar forum to this one that starts with a 'V'.
I've got nicely kitted out bikes specifically because of this approach.

It seems there are two parts to answering your question-
1) Is function identical?
2) Is value identical?

My thoughts:
1) it sure can be. Buying from those with good reputations is a big step, as is being a discerning buyer. I work at a shop, so I am used to appraising condition of used parts pretty quickly... if you aren't used to it, it gets trickier. Even if you are good at it there are things that can't be determined (eg cones in a hub), but the more you are familiar with bike parts the better your odds are. Simply, it's about making the odds as good as possible. I'd buy anything Ergott or EmoryDPTT was selling sight unseen because I know it'll be stellar stuff in great condition. I'm unlikely to buy anything from anyone with fewer than 100 posts over an extended period of time, no matter what they were selling or its price. It's about risk and how you view/manage it.

2) It depends. End of story- just depends on your own personal values and opinions.

Example:
I just finished putting together my "finishing grad school" bike, hand-picked every part, Merckx EMX w/ Chorus/Record 11s mix, White Industry/Nemesis handbuilt tubulars w/ new 26mm tyres, and the only new part on it is bartape and cables.
I'm at sub $1500 and it works like a dream.

That's +5K if put together new, and I guarantee mine shifts/pedals/corners/rolls identically, so per point #1, function is identical.
Per point #2, I feel that value is just as high, so that's a non-issue for me.
Simultaneously to my putting mine together, a good friend was just looking at getting a new bike, but it wouldn't have been as special to him- just wouldn't have given him the right "sensations", so he coughed up the cash for a Chorus/Record build on a Bianchi Infinito.

Mine rides, shifts, & corners as well as his- will have similar longevity, we both love our new rides... do what seems best to you, YMMV.

oliver1850
06-03-2014, 01:50 AM
I've purchased "new" cassettes both here and on ebay that skipped with a new chain. I don't worry much about any other part, but prefer to buy cassettes from someone that regularly sells new ones.

Gummee
06-03-2014, 07:40 AM
I've gotten one or two 'too used to use' cassettes over the years, but overall? Good ratio of useable vs not.

In the case of all my 10sp cassettes (that are listed below), some are less than a month old, some are a few years old, and ALL spend more time hanging in the garage than on the bike(s). I have 4 bikes and 12 pr of wheels that I rotate thru.

So... I'll do it again, but ya just gotta be careful and expect a 'dud' every once in a while.

M