PDA

View Full Version : Rattle in my chain stay

zott28
06-02-2014, 10:45 AM
I have something lose in my chain stay.
It's a ti Seven. I have no idea what it is or how to get it out. I thought it might be some weld junk that came lose on the inside, but the welds are so clean. It definitely sounds like metal.
I'm guessing I just have to live with the rattle unless someone has a genius idea on how to get it out.

jtakeda
06-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Shoot compressed air through the bb?

Vacuum?

zott28
06-02-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm going to try the vacuum. I think I need to mod it with some small tubing in order to fit it in the chain stay hole in the BB.

Idris Icabod
06-02-2014, 10:53 AM
If the vacuum doesn't work you could push a small amount of some sort of epoxy in and catch the metal piece to immobilize it. Had this happen to some Mavic rims, uber annoying!

Black Dog
06-02-2014, 11:52 AM
You could use some expanding spray foam in the chain stay and shake the piece to the foam, the foam is very sticky before it sets. Do this after you have tried some other means of removal.

zott28
06-02-2014, 12:09 PM
You could use some expanding spray foam in the chain stay and shake the piece to the foam, the foam is very sticky before it sets. Do this after you have tried some other means of removal.

I was thinking along these lines, but was worried about airflow in the tubing. Not that Ti would corrode, but I figured the hole was there for a reason: drainage/air flow.

wallymann
06-02-2014, 12:56 PM
why not some sort of thickening lube spay instead of adhesive. something like framesaver oughta do the trick.

If the vacuum doesn't work you could push a small amount of some sort of epoxy in and catch the metal piece to immobilize it. Had this happen to some Mavic rims, uber annoying!

wildboar
06-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Can you roll up some tape, sticky side out, into a little cone shape and stick it in there and then shake the debris onto it/ remove?

moose8
06-02-2014, 02:25 PM
I'd call seven and see if they have any ideas. They seem really nice and helpful from the limited contact I've had.

zott28
06-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Seven said take it to a bike shop and have them look at it.
I'm going to try all these ideas staring with the vacuum, tape then last effort will be the sticky foam.

johnniecakes
06-02-2014, 03:41 PM
I had the same problem a few years back with a CAAD5 Cannondale. I got a can of Tuff Stuff insulation sealant and shot a load into the stay. Never heard a rattle again.

tiretrax
06-02-2014, 04:21 PM
I suggest you remove the bb and shake it out. I wouldn't screw up an expensive frame with foam. If you resell it, you'll have to disclose that, and I doubt many would be happy to hear about your solution.

avalonracing
06-02-2014, 04:44 PM
My buddy had the same issue with his Ti IF Crown Jewel. I had the idea of squirting some thin super glue in the air hole of the stay and turning the frame so the noise making piece rolled into the glue and then letting it sit for a little while. Noise went away and all is well.

zott28
06-02-2014, 05:49 PM
I suggest you remove the bb and shake it out. I wouldn't screw up an expensive frame with foam. If you resell it, you'll have to disclose that, and I doubt many would be happy to hear about your solution.
Agreed that it would be my last option, and I've tried shaking it out, wasn't that easy unfortunately.

My buddy had the same issue with his Ti IF Crown Jewel. I had the idea of squirting some thin super glue in the air hole of the stay and turning the frame so the noise making piece rolled into the glue and then letting it sit for a little while. Noise went away and all is well.
Anyone know what causes it? Knowing a bit about welding, I'm guessing it's some sort of weld junk, but it's hard to believe the inside of the weld would be messy or have any excess marital to come lose. These welds are beautiful.

Wilkinson4
06-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Linseed oil...Squirt some down there, slosh it around. It will dry and hold whatever piece of flux or whatever.

mIKE