PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another First Build Question; Access to the Torx Bolt in the Shifters

pjmsj21
06-02-2014, 12:29 AM
OK guys, any tricks of the trade as to how to get access to the torx bolt that you have to loosen and tighten for putting the shifters on your bars?

enr1co
06-02-2014, 01:08 AM
You'll need one of these to slide under the hoods:
http://www.jensonusa.com/!udbmqmVJduXPwlcJLCgsNA!/Park-PH-T25-Torx-Wrench

Ralph
06-02-2014, 06:00 AM
You'll need one of these to slide under the hoods:
http://www.jensonusa.com/!udbmqmVJduXPwlcJLCgsNA!/Park-PH-T25-Torx-Wrench

That.....or just a long thin shaft "Screwdriver" in T 25. I use a Craftsman. About $8 as I recall. It will get it plenty tight. Rather than peel the hoods back over the thumb shifter button, I find it much easier to just go inside the hoods near the lever pivot. I only peel the hood back just enough to guide the Torx driver to bolt head. I like a long shaft screwdriver or equivalent becaise I can put a lot of pressure into the torx screw head, making sure it's well seated before I tighten, and keeping pressure on while I tighten, thus not rounding out the soft bolt head (about $25 for bolt and clamp).

zennmotion
06-02-2014, 06:04 AM
That.....or just a long thin shaft "Screwdriver" in T 25. I use a Craftsman. About $8 as I recall. It will get it plenty tight. Rather than peel the hoods back over the thumb shifter button, I find it much easier to just go inside the hoods near the lever pivot. I only peel the hood back just enough to guide the Torx driver to bolt head. I like a long screwdriver or equivalent becaise I can put a lot of pressure into the torx screw head, making sure it's well seated before I tighten, thus not rounding out the soft head (about $25 for bolt and clamp).

Yep, just do this. A long shaft T25 torx can be found at any Sears or hardware store and it works fine

thirdgenbird
06-02-2014, 07:45 AM
I bought a t25 screwdriver at a big box home improvement store. Works perfect for installing brake levers. I wish they had a 5mm hex to match.

pjmsj21
06-02-2014, 08:39 AM
I do have a long handled screw driver type T25 that seems to provide as much access as any. I have pulled back the hood and taken it over the lever which has allowed me to back out the bolt a bit and allowing me to put plenty of pressure on the head to not (hopefully) strip it, but it is not in perfect alignment....but hopefully good enough.

Is there a stop on the bolt, so that I don't back it out all of the way and then have to get it back in?

FlashUNC
06-02-2014, 08:48 AM
I do have a long handled screw driver type T25 that seems to provide as much access as any. I have pulled back the hood and taken it over the lever which has allowed me to back out the bolt a bit and allowing me to put plenty of pressure on the head to not (hopefully) strip it, but it is not in perfect alignment....but hopefully good enough.

Is there a stop on the bolt, so that I don't back it out all of the way and then have to get it back in?

No stop so you can separate the two. I personally like to take the band off completely, then re-attach the shifter once the band's on the bars. Saves a bit of grunting with trying to work the shifter around the drops to the right spot.