PDA

View Full Version : Big Question

MallyG
03-12-2004, 06:22 PM
As I have said before, I have signed up to enter this year's l'etape. For those who don't know, l'etape is the stage of the Tour de France that is open to amateur riders. This year's ride, at 150 miles, is the longest stage in the Tour and the longest etape ever. Running from Limoges to St Fleur, it also covers some pretty tough cols (conveniently situated towards the back end of the day!)
So, I'll be riding my Legend ST, but am currently deciding what gears to use. At present I have a Record 10 speed Double (53 large ring at the front). The options are to change to an FSA compact double, or go the whole way to a triple (much bigger bucks).
Anyone in a similar predicament? How about suggestions?
Thanks

Jack Brunk
03-12-2004, 10:34 PM
mally G,

I have the FSA compacts on my Seven Alta and a Campy record triple on a De Rosa King (50/40/30). On the alta's rear I run a 13-29 and a 13-26 on the King. I don't feel that I gain anything from using the triple over the FSA. I really like the gearing of the compact cranks when climbing grades over 8-9%. there is a weight savings of almost a half pound by using the compact cranks.
Over time, I will be replacing my record cranks for compact cranks on all of my bikes.

Jack

Jay Torborg
03-12-2004, 11:01 PM
I installed the FSA compact pro crank on my Ottrott with a 13-26 campy cassette a few months ago and I'm really happy with it. I've decided to put one on my Concours as well.

jeffg
03-13-2004, 12:06 AM
How's the training going? :)

Your best answer would be to do some similar climbs and see how they work with the gearing you have. Triples seem to me not the optimal solution unless a gear lower than a 34X27 or even 34X29 is needed. Generally, Alpine doubles shift better with less overlap and similar gear range.

With Campy, a 13-29 with the standard double gives the same range as a 50-34, 12-25 with better spacing. If you run a custom 12-29, use a 48-34. I would recommend a TA, or if the Zephyr is no longer available, a PMP Micro Road kit (with TA Syrius matched rings, not the standard). Hey, the PMP kit is jerk approved (and works great on my Legend). :beer: Part of the fun of riding the climbs is bombing the other side. I would want at least a 48X12 or 52X13 for that.

That being said, you are the best judge of your own ideal cadence and fitness. L'Etape du Tour this year seems like it does not have as much climbing as in past years. The difficulty will be keeping with the average speed until the first checkpoint. The climbs seem to be moderate except for the last 2.5km of the Pas de Peyrol, which average about 11% respectively.

Good luck!

Andreu
03-13-2004, 01:27 AM
Eh Mally!
good luck. I would join a club in your area and go and talk to people. They usually have loads of suggestions and you can bounce ideas off them. I got this from fellow Serotta forum regular Too Tall:
Quick list:
1. 200-250 cals. carbs in the bottle at all times taken with adequate electrolytes.
2. 17-24 fl oz's water / hr. not more
3. train using this regime for one month prior to learn and modify if needed.
4. sun screen!
5. avoid temptation to linger at the aid stations and don't sit. fill your bottles, grab salty / starchy food avoid simple carbs (sugar) and hit the road.
6. Send us a picture at of you on a summit!

If you are able to maintain a steady intake of adequate carbs / water / electrolytes and are fit than you can reasonably expect to ride well and finish strong.
Get some good long miles in: I'd probably do at least 4 weekends where you can ride 130 + miles in one go comfortably (not necessarily one weekend after another!). And then rest for 4 or 5 days before you go.
Good luck.
A:beer: