PDA

View Full Version : Hub swapping

druptight
06-01-2014, 10:02 PM
So last year I bought Archetype rims built up on 105 hubs for my commuter using shimano 9. Of course I immediately felt the pull to make this bike campy like my others, so I switched to campy 10 shifters along with a shiftmate, but I've been having a hell of a time getting it dialed in and am beginning to consider replacing the rear hub with a campy one.

It's currently running the black 105 hubs, so I'm thinking to start I may just replace the rear hub with a black campy one, which will match the front 105 pretty well. While I don't need a record hub on my commuter, it's hard to argue with them at only $140ish dollars, especially if I can re-use the spokes.

My question is whether I can plug and play the hub with the current spokes based on the flange diameter of the 2 hubs. It looks like the 5700 105's are 45/45 and the record hubs are 44/46. That's only out 1mm for the shorter one. The flange to center on the hubs is fairly similar at 36.4/18 for 105 and 36/16.5 for record. While I didn't build the current wheels I'd think they're probably threaded more than 1mm into the nips.

Plugging them into a spoke calculator I get for 105 289.9/288.2, and for Record I get 290/288.

Any thoughts/experiences on this? I know spokes aren't crazy expensive, but I'm just figuring these ones only have about 1000 miles on them and match the front ones so I'll reuse them if I can.

buldogge
06-01-2014, 10:12 PM
If the spoke calculator #s are good, then you are good to go.

IMHO

-Mark in St. Louis

DRietz
06-01-2014, 10:49 PM

Plugging them into a spoke calculator I get for 105 289.9/288.2, and for Record I get 290/288.

Any thoughts/experiences on this?

If you calculated the spoke length with the same hole number, cross pattern, and ERD, and you got those numbers, then you can definitely reuse the spokes - it's just not really the best option.

It probably won't hurt anything, but spokes are stressed components, and the more you stress a component (build and rebuild), the more it fatigues...and well you can figure out the rest.

Good luck, have fun!

oldpotatoe
06-02-2014, 06:12 AM
So last year I bought Archetype rims built up on 105 hubs for my commuter using shimano 9. Of course I immediately felt the pull to make this bike campy like my others, so I switched to campy 10 shifters along with a shiftmate, but I've been having a hell of a time getting it dialed in and am beginning to consider replacing the rear hub with a campy one.

It's currently running the black 105 hubs, so I'm thinking to start I may just replace the rear hub with a black campy one, which will match the front 105 pretty well. While I don't need a record hub on my commuter, it's hard to argue with them at only $140ish dollars, especially if I can re-use the spokes.

My question is whether I can plug and play the hub with the current spokes based on the flange diameter of the 2 hubs. It looks like the 5700 105's are 45/45 and the record hubs are 44/46. That's only out 1mm for the shorter one. The flange to center on the hubs is fairly similar at 36.4/18 for 105 and 36/16.5 for record. While I didn't build the current wheels I'd think they're probably threaded more than 1mm into the nips.

Any thoughts/experiences on this? I know spokes aren't crazy expensive, but I'm just figuring these ones only have about 1000 miles on them and match the front ones so I'll reuse them if I can.

289.9 and 288.2 means 288 and 290 so press on.

eak12
06-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Sorry to take this thread off topic, but I'd like to suggest to the original poster to try two other versions of Shimergo if the shiftmate isn't working out, as opposed to rebuilding a wheel:

A) remove the shiftmate and run the cable in the hubbub method, as such:
http://www.hubbubcustom.com/articles_ergopower.html

B) Run your campy 10sp shifters with Shimano RD, and Shimano 8 sp casette, in a normal cable routing

Best of luck with whatever you decide :)

zachateseveryth
06-02-2014, 09:20 AM
You have a couple other options. If you just want campy shifters, you can pair campy 10 speed with a SRAM RD and leave the rest of your drivetrain alone (SRAM/Shimano 10 speed stuff).

If you have a full campy group and just need a cassette compatible with your wheels there are a couple companies that make conversions.

http://www.wiggle.com/miche-primato-10-speed-cassette-shimano/

thirdgenbird
06-02-2014, 09:36 AM
If all his other bikes are campy, I don't see the point screwing around with compatibility options. Swap the hubs and enjoy. I like the flexibility of using any of my three wheelsets on any bike I please.

Davist
06-02-2014, 09:50 AM
I'd build a new campy back wheel, the bulk of the $$ are in the hub anyway, you'll pay the same to relace, spokes are cheap(ish) and lotsa folks would (me included) like a spare rear 105 hub laced to an Archetype to defray your costs. Just sayin'

Look585
06-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Existing spokes look like they will fit fine. Take care to relace the spokes with the same orientation as they left the old hub.

Mark the "heads out" spokes on each side with a black sharpie (or silver sharpie if the spokes are black) and make sure those are heads out when you relace.

FlashUNC
06-02-2014, 10:08 AM
I'd go with new spokes personally. But I'm neurotic about that kind of thing.