PDA

View Full Version : Big difference between 28s and 32s or 35s on rough chip and seal?

SlackMan
06-01-2014, 08:16 PM
My bike fits a 700x28, and I ride the Conti 4 Seasons in that size although I know they really only measure about 26 wide. There is pretty rough chip and seal on most of my riding routes. I keep my tires at about 70psi, but I still feel lots of harsh vibration coming through the bars and saddle. If I were to switch to a frame that fits 32s or 35s or even up to 45s, would there be a significant difference in ride comfort? Thanks.

eddief
06-01-2014, 08:29 PM
You might find any of the offerings from Compass tires to be a fine improvement. I am blown away by how the Cyprss has transformed my least expensive ride from just ok to very much better than just ok. Me thinks maybe not so durable, but even I am ready to buy more tires if they break or wear out too quickly. Sublime.

My bike fits a 700x28, and I ride the Conti 4 Seasons in that size although I know they really only measure about 26 wide. There is pretty rough chip and seal on most of my riding routes. I keep my tires at about 70psi, but I still feel lots of harsh vibration coming through the bars and saddle. If I were to switch to a frame that fits 32s or 35s or even up to 45s, would there be a significant difference in ride comfort? Thanks.

SlackMan
06-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks, Eddie. I guess trying new tires would be a much cheaper experiment than buying a different bike that accepts wider tires. I'd still love to hear any other thoughts.

palincss
06-01-2014, 09:36 PM

With a 42mm tire like the Hetre at an appropriate pressure, you bring your own smooth road with you wherever you go. Rough chipseal feels nice: you know the road has texture, kind of like running your finger across the grain of corduroy cloth, but it's not harsh at all.

eddief
06-01-2014, 09:40 PM
done by Jan Heine. Think it or parts of it are on the web. I have to say, I don't understand all the "science" but my proof came from spending $100 on a pair and then happily bouncing nicely down the road. I have mostly run 25c Michelin Pros in the last few years and they are fine on my carbon and ti, but for some reason, my latest steel called for special attention and Gran Bois Cypres did the trick.

witcombusa
06-02-2014, 04:43 AM
As tire volume goes up, air pressure goes down and "suspension effect" become greater. Add in a high thread count casing for even more difference.
They will also roll faster on anything short of fresh smooth asphalt. :banana:

CNY rider
06-02-2014, 06:05 AM
I will second Eddie's recommendation.
I ride the exact same Contis on my commuter.
I have the 700X28 Grand Bois on 2 of my other bikes.
There is much more volume to the GB tires.
And while the Contis ride fine and are more flat resistant the ride on the GB tires is far superior.
Give them a try.

SlackMan
06-02-2014, 07:00 AM
I will second Eddie's recommendation.

I ride the exact same Contis on my commuter.

I have the 700X28 Grand Bois on 2 of my other bikes.

There is much more volume to the GB tires.

And while the Contis ride fine and are more flat resistant the ride on the GB tires is far superior.

Give them a try.

Thanks, CNY. I notice that you have Contis on your commuter and GB tires on other bikes. Given that I commute and do other rides on my one road bike, would you recommend I stay with the Contis? Are the Contis significantly more durable and resistant to flats compared to the GBs?

CNY rider
06-02-2014, 07:53 AM
I have had really good luck with the Conti 700X28 4 seasons or whatever they are called on my commuter.
I commute in crummy weather, in the dark a lot, and really don't want to be changing flats so that makes sturdiness the priority for my commuter tire.
And those Contis ride just fine, but the ride quality of the Grand Bois 700 X 28 is just on a whole 'nother level.

So I guess the answer is that you need another bicycle.
Not that that has ever been suggested before on this forum!:banana:

witcombusa
06-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Just remember that those GB tires, because of their construction are not that durable. I road some sharp gravel in VA for one ride and found more than a couple cuts on the tread.

Also have to recomend a 32-35mm Panaracer Pasela for a durable, smooth rolling value. With Tour Guard option these are almost bullet proof.

jamesutiopia
06-02-2014, 08:38 AM
How big the difference is depends on your bike+rider weight. 28s are plenty of volume for light riders, but 32s hold a lot more air (volume is a cubic function!), which could make the difference for taller/heavier riders.
http://janheine.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/bertopresschart.jpg

42s (650B Hetres) are great for awful pavement, but weigh a lot. Unless you train with them all the time, the extra rotating weight can make it difficult to keep pace on hammerhead rides.

I love 42s for rides in New England (25s for fast rides) but never really wish more cush than 26-28s provide for the mountainous bits of California.

ColonelJLloyd
06-02-2014, 08:38 AM
http://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/tire-width-how-much-difference-do-a-few-millimeters-make/

http://janheine.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/tire_x_section_comparison.jpg?w=640&h=223

SlackMan
06-02-2014, 09:01 AM
I know I can't fit 32s on the rear, but I might be able to fit 32s on the front. Has anyone ever tried 32s front and 28s rear? Would that make for squirrelly handling? And anyone know whether 32s will fit with Shimano 6700 brakes? As you can see, I'm trying to do this without buying a new bike...yet!

rwsaunders
06-02-2014, 09:18 AM
I have had really good luck with the Conti 700X28 4 seasons or whatever they are called on my commuter.
I commute in crummy weather, in the dark a lot, and really don't want to be changing flats so that makes sturdiness the priority for my commuter tire.
And those Contis ride just fine, but the ride quality of the Grand Bois 700 X 28 is just on a whole 'nother level. :banana:

+1 on the Conti's 4 Seasons for rotten roads and debris, but when the weather turns and the Winter debris is washed away, I head for the smoother ride of my tubbies.

Likes2ridefar
06-02-2014, 09:47 AM
I know I can't fit 32s on the rear, but I might be able to fit 32s on the front. Has anyone ever tried 32s front and 28s rear? Would that make for squirrelly handling? And anyone know whether 32s will fit with Shimano 6700 brakes? As you can see, I'm trying to do this without buying a new bike...yet!

I never had any issues and i've had bigger differences than that before.

i think it makes a huge difference going up in tire size even something small like 23 to 25. the trick is to use the right PSI as noted by others.

the major downside is they roll so much slower, usually, and weigh a lot more.

my schwalbe marathon plus 32c I run at ~30psi (i'm 155lb) in the front and 45 in the rear. I've had them down to about 15/25 with no issues. as long as i dont slam into a pothole no worries of pinch flats. nice and smooth but heavy and

sloowwwwwwwwwwww

but they go anywhere and never get flats.

ColonelJLloyd
06-02-2014, 09:54 AM
sloowwwwwwwwwwww

but they go anywhere and never get flats.

That's the thing. You can't compare an overbuilt tire like that to a smaller tire without such "flat protection". That tire feels like a solid rubber tire compared to a Grand Bois or Compass 32mm.

Likes2ridefar
06-02-2014, 09:57 AM
That's the thing. You can't compare an overbuilt tire like that to a smaller tire without such "flat protection". That tire feels like a solid rubber tire compared to a Grand Bois or Compass 32mm.

I hope to try some this summer. the lightest weight larger road tire I've used is the panaracer pasela tg 35 which rolls like a dream compared to the schwalbe, but i had durability issues on the few sets I used.

I'm thinking about building a surly karate monkey as the grocery getter so will note the grand bois and compass! thanks.

palincss
06-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Just remember that those GB tires, because of their construction are not that durable. I road some sharp gravel in VA for one ride and found more than a couple cuts on the tread.

Also have to recomend a 32-35mm Panaracer Pasela for a durable, smooth rolling value. With Tour Guard option these are almost bullet proof.

I've used both the 32mm Paselas (both the old raised-rib version and the more recent style) and the Grand Bois Cypres 30mm for years. In my experience, the Cypres are quite durable, every bit as durable as the Paselas.

witcombusa
06-02-2014, 02:15 PM
I've used both the 32mm Paselas (both the old raised-rib version and the more recent style) and the Grand Bois Cypres 30mm for years. In my experience, the Cypres are quite durable, every bit as durable as the Paselas.

I would never use the GB tires for gravel work. Graded dirt roads, maybe.

SlackMan
06-02-2014, 02:26 PM

On a bike that I also use to commute, often riding on road shoulders sometimes littered with significant amounts of gravel, you would have the same concern about the GB tires, right?

donevwil
06-02-2014, 02:40 PM
A 28mm tire for someone 140# is far different than for someone 230# (me). Also, not all 28s are created equally. The Conti GP4S is a smallish 28, more like 26mm. By comparison the Conti 4000S 25 has a greater volume than the 28 GP4S (about the same height but wider). Not too fond of the 4000S, however.

I currently run the GB 32 Cypres on a new bike designed to fit it and it's a wonderful all around tire for someone my size. My wife runs the GB 26 and loves them. I swap to 35mm Kenda Small Block Eights for more aggressive gravel, rocky roads and off roading. The GB sidewalls won't be too forgiving in heavy gravel.

tiretrax
06-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Bicycle Quartlerly did a comparison last year. It found 32 was the ideal width for comfort and comparable rolling resistance!

jamesutiopia
06-02-2014, 02:49 PM

+1, this is my experience as well

gospastic
06-02-2014, 02:52 PM
I commuted for a long time on those 28mm 4 Seasons. They roll decently well but after switching to some 32mm tires there is just no comparison. I have put a few hundred miles on some Challenge Eroicas (now Strada Biancas) in the past couple of weeks and they are the best feeling tires I've ever ridden. Road buzz is nonexistent. I don't think they are quite as fast as skinnier tires but that shouldn't matter much for commuting. They will surely feel faster. Durability is good so far too.

witcombusa
06-02-2014, 03:59 PM
On a bike that I also use to commute, often riding on road shoulders sometimes littered with significant amounts of gravel, you would have the same concern about the GB tires, right?

I would, yes.

The GB's are a "performance" higher priced tire option. For spirited riding on mostly better surfaces they are a great option. But for commuting with a mix of road conditions I think there are better, more durable values that still ride acceptably out there. Nothing against the product but you must match it with the intended use.

SlackMan
06-02-2014, 04:15 PM
I would, yes.

The GB's are a "performance" higher priced tire option. For spirited riding on mostly better surfaces they are a great option. But for commuting with a mix of road conditions I think there are better, more durable values that still ride acceptably out there. Nothing against the product but you must match it with the intended use.

OK, thanks.

KidWok
06-02-2014, 05:09 PM
A few comments to add...

Don't get hung up on matching front and rear tires. I normally run a nice racing tire on the front and a training/touring tire on the rear. If they're both black, no one can tell they don't match while you're moving. Most common configuration I use is a Schwalbe Ultremo on the front and a Panaracer T-Serv on the back, both in 28.

Best tire I've used for commuting has been Schwalbe's Marathon Supreme. Compound has amazing durability AND great grip. Sidewalls are pretty supple for a touring tire. I run the 35's on my commuter and have a set of 28's waiting to go on my winter road bike. Previously, I used Paselas but found that their casing cuts too easily and compound has horrible grip as soon as there is any moisture on the pavement. I have used my 35's on long road rides and wouldn't hesitate to use the 28's for crunching miles. They are available in 28, 32 (harder to find), and 35 mm widths.

All other things being equal, there are big differences between the three sizes you listed. IMHO, 28's feel more like a road tire and you can't deflate them much without risking pinch flats. For chip-seal, 28's are probably fine. 35's do feel much slower and you can ride them at lower PSI without worrying about flats, but I think you give up too much speed on pavement. I think 32's are the best of both worlds.

dawgie
06-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Conti GP 4 Season 28s are nice durable tires but run much narrower than spec'd, 26 mm on my wheels. That seems to be the case for many 28s for some reason. I've also tried Vittoria Rubino 28s, which measure about 26.5 mm on my wheels, and Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy 28s, which measure 27 mm. I haven't tried the Clement Strada 28s, but have heard that they run narrower than billed as well.

In contrast, I've tried several 32 mm tires and they all run wider than spec'd on my wheels. These include Rivendell Jack Brown Green 33s, which measure 35 mm on my wheels; Clement LAS 33s, which measure 36-37 mm; Vittoria Randonneur/Voyageur Hyper 32s, which measure 35 mm; and Ritchey CrossMax Pro 32s, which measure 34 mm.

Needless to say, the 32s that I've tried all ride much nicer than the 28s, undoubtedly due to their much larger air volume. The wider tires are also slower for me, despite what Jan Heine and Bicycle Quarterly claim in their tests. I suspect that they don't test tire "speeds" by riding uphill. Wider tires are simply heavier in most cases, despite any differences in rolling resistance. Of the wider tires I've tried, the Vittoria Hypers seem to roll the nicest with the least effect on speed, followed by the Jack Brown Greens. The Clement LAS tires roll amazingly well for a tire with some tread, but they are so wide that they are unlikely to fit many frames.