PDA

View Full Version : Trick for keeping chamois soft?

MattTuck
06-01-2014, 06:55 PM
The chamois on my older shorts are starting to resemble sand paper... (especially my pearl izumi ones)

Any tricks for keeping them soft? or is it time to retire them?

regularguy412
06-01-2014, 10:10 PM
The chamois on my older shorts are starting to resemble sand paper... (especially my pearl izumi ones)

Any tricks for keeping them soft? or is it time to retire them?

Making the assumption that the pads are natural chamois, mebbe? If so, I've successfully used something like Udder Cream. I don't put it on and 'leave' it; I put it on just before riding. Then they get washed immediately after.

I have just one pair of Time bib shorts left, now. They were new in about 1991. The chamois doesn't feel 'great' after a wash and dry, but within a few minutes of reapplying the cream, it's supple again.

If these are not natural chamois, I can't help ya. I have a few pairs of Descente bibs from just a few years ago. The surface of the pads were originally smooth, but now after years of use, I choose to only wear them on the trainer.

Mike in AR:beer:

MattTuck
06-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Not natural. They are a fabric that has some 'texture' to them... when they were new, it was very soft. Now it is much rougher.

charliedid
06-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Dry on low or no heat with fabric softener sheets. I prefer non scented...actually have not done this in a long while but it does seem to help a bit.

Do you ride with chamois cream?

MattTuck
06-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Dry on low or no heat with fabric softener sheets. I prefer non scented...actually have not done this in a long while but it does seem to help a bit.

Do you ride with chamois cream?

I do use chamois cream. I'll try the no heat dry with fabric softener sheets. I typically just hang them to dry.

charliedid
06-01-2014, 10:32 PM
I do use chamois cream. I'll try the no heat dry with fabric softener sheets. I typically just hang them to dry.

Give it a shot...I have found it useful.

Louis
06-01-2014, 11:43 PM
This is weird.

I have some PI shorts that are at least 7 years old and have been through the washer quite a few times, and so far I haven't noticed this. (Although I should confess that I do have a whole bunch of shorts in rotation, so maybe the total number of wash cycles isn't as high as I think.)

SlackMan
06-02-2014, 06:56 AM
This is weird.

I have some PI shorts that are at least 7 years old and have been through the washer quite a few times, and so far I haven't noticed this. (Although I should confess that I do have a whole bunch of shorts in rotation, so maybe the total number of wash cycles isn't as high as I think.)

Ditto. My PI bib shorts feel fine too. Matt, are the chamois pads the orange ones?

MattTuck
06-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Ditto. My PI bib shorts feel fine too. Matt, are the chamois pads the orange ones?

I have a pair of the orange ones, those are ok actually. They're a newish pair, 2 years old I think.

The pair that is the worst is the red chamois from pearl izumi. It feels ok to the touch, but after some time on the bike it feels like its grinding my butt. Which is funny because I have a very old PI pair of shorts, with a blue chamois, that is actually still quite comfortable.

Maybe, in the formula for friction, Ff=μ x Fn, I need to worry more about the Fn (aka, my weight) than the μ term.

jmoore
06-02-2014, 10:59 AM
I got no time for a sandpapered taint! Toss them and get a new pair.