PDA

View Full Version : Another assault video - Dana Point

Veloo
06-01-2014, 12:42 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=843004955729054

biker72
06-01-2014, 01:27 PM
A Texas license plate of course. Some good ole boys just havin some fun....:mad:

Tony
06-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Got flashbacks from yesterdays Sierra Century ride.

Drivers for the most part were great. However, the same type large pickup truck came very close to me and another rider on Perry Creek Rd, a stretch that had few riders. Yelling and that same diesel smoke screen in your face.

ultraman6970
06-01-2014, 02:37 PM
I bet the police department cant do crap because they data bases aren't linked.

It is possible to legally sue these guys because of reckless driving and because they can kill somebody?? Sure a lawyer can find a way to do, sets precedence if they win, besides just ask 10 million as compensation, that will teach them.

beeatnik
06-01-2014, 02:42 PM
I bet the police department cant do crap because they data bases aren't linked.

It is possible to legally sue these guys because of reckless driving and because they can kill somebody?? Sure a lawyer can find a way to do, sets precedence if they win, besides just ask 10 million as compensation, that will teach them.

You can in the city of Los Angeles:

http://la.streetsblog.org/2011/09/27/first-of-its-kind-cyclist-anti-harassment-becomes-law-in-los-angeles/

The new law, however, allows cyclists to sue drivers in civil court and, if successful, obtain remedies that previously would have been very difficult if not impossible to obtain—even if a cyclist could find a lawyer willing to take what are often smaller dollar-value cases. To be clear, the law does not criminalize anything, and it does not add any new criminal laws to the books. It is merely a recognition that that criminal enforcement of harassment and battery laws that currently outlaw certain behavior is essentially non-existent given that LAPD and the City and District Attorneys are government agencies of limited resources (time and money), and Los Angeles is a city home to almost 3.8 million people.

What Can I Recover?

If a cyclist can establish legitimate harassment, the remedies allow for the cyclist to recover damages, attorneys’ fees, and punitive damages. Violators of the law shall be liable for treble the actual damages with regard to each and every such violation, or $1,000, whichever is greater, and shall be liable for reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs of litigation. In addition, a jury or court may award punitive damages where warranted.

What Types Of Harassment Does This Law Address?

So what qualifies under the ordinance as actionable harassment? Certain harassing behaviors are clearly criminal and would clearly fall under the new law; then there are behaviors that are less egregious but could also be defined as harassment for which the law provides a civil remedy. The law specifically prohibits the following five categories of behaviors:

A. Physically assault or attempt to physically assault a Bicyclist;
B. Threaten to physically injure a Bicyclist;
C. Intentionally injure, attempt to injure, or threaten to physically injure, either
by words, vehicle, or other object, a Bicyclist;
D. Intentionally distract or attempt to distract a Bicyclist; and
E. Intentionally force or attempt to force a Bicyclist off a street for purposes
unrelated to public safety.

54ny77
06-01-2014, 02:45 PM
what an a$$hole.

hopefully some sort of justice, civil or criminal, can be found.

intent, yes, but no contact. what charge could that be?

Dead Man
06-01-2014, 03:06 PM
what an a$$hole.

hopefully some sort of justice, civil or criminal, can be found.

intent, yes, but no contact. what charge could that be?

I'm not familiar with California law, but in Oregon, here's a few off the top of my head:

Menacing
Disorderly Conduct
Harassment
Reckless Driving
Reckless Endangerment

That doesn't even include traffic violations.

krhea
06-01-2014, 03:28 PM
i'm not familiar with california law, but in oregon, here's a few off the top of my head:

Menacing
disorderly conduct
harassment
reckless driving
reckless endangerment

that doesn't even include traffic violations.

+100!

54ny77
06-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Hey Veloo, is that PCH heading south towards the Ritz, just past Crown Valley? Was that you on the bike?

nighthawk
06-01-2014, 06:34 PM
All the police have to do to find the vehicle owner is pull the security camera footage from the next convenience store on that road.... I'm guessing they had to stop and pick up a new Gatorade, right?

Joking aside, I've actually also had a full gatorade thrown at me from a passing vehicle. I wouldn't call it assault, but it's a little disconcerting.

Veloo
06-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Nope, it's not me. It came via a Facebook friend so I'm circulating it. I'm up north of the border, nowhere close to a PCH unfortunately.

oldpotatoe
06-01-2014, 06:58 PM
A Texas license plate of course. Some good ole boys just havin some fun....:mad:

Should have let Mexico keep Texas.

Dead Man
06-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Kinda makes you want to install a cabled harpoon on your handlebar.

beeatnik
06-01-2014, 06:59 PM

Not sure if you're insulting Mexico or Tejas. :p

Dead Man
06-01-2014, 07:00 PM

Texas succumbed to immigration problems - American settlers kept jumping the boarder and (not so) slowly just took the place over.

Seems like it should also work in reverse

Cicli
06-01-2014, 07:02 PM
I am stuck in Irving right now.

I hate Tex-ass.

I am glad nobody got hurt there.

tiretrax
06-01-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm glad the guy was ok. That is not a Texas license plate. I've lived here most of my life and have never seen one like that. I ride a lot in the country, and I haven't had any problems out there. Only in the city - mostly by distracted housewives on cell phones in their Suburbans.

A$$holes are everywhere. I recall that someone posted a video of a jerk in Colorado that liked to belch diesel smoke into cyclists' faces.

Yeah, Irving sucks, except for Las Colinas.

thwart
06-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Kinda makes you want to install a cabled harpoon on your handlebar.

Best to keep your cool and try to get a license number… a lot of these courageous folks have a loaded gun in the glove compartment.

Last I checked, guns trump harpoons.

Unless you're really quick. :D

And accurate. :D :D

beeatnik
06-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Texas succumbed to immigration problems - American settlers kept jumping the boarder and (not so) slowly just took the place over.

Seems like it should also work in reverse

Russia = USA
Crimea = Texas
Ukraine = Mexico

Cicli
06-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Sorry Texas.

Thats a Virginia plate.

malcolm
06-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Is there a link that doesn't require facebook to see ??

Tony
06-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Not sure why this video is not on you tube?

zmudshark
06-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Sorry Texas.

That's a Virginia plate.

Definitely a VA plate. #TX 65-500

You tube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HlZXCWha6Q&feature=youtu.be

oldpotatoe
06-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Sorry Texas.

Thats a Virginia plate.

Should have let the English keep Virginia.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Not sure if you're insulting Mexico or Tejas. :p

Lived in Texas for 14 months, never again. I see somebody said it was VA plates..

laupsi
06-02-2014, 09:42 AM
cyclist had better sense and patience than I would...

Veloo
06-02-2014, 09:51 AM
I believe you can still watch without a Facebook account.

jmoore
06-02-2014, 09:53 AM
I'm glad the guy was ok. That is not a Texas license plate. I've lived here most of my life and have never seen one like that. I ride a lot in the country, and I haven't had any problems out there. Only in the city - mostly by distracted housewives on cell phones in their Suburbans.

A$$holes are everywhere. I recall that someone posted a video of a jerk in Colorado that liked to belch diesel smoke into cyclists' faces.

Yeah, Irving sucks, except for Las Colinas.

this...

I have lived in TX for 47 years and generally not a problem riding most places. Distracted sorority girls and texting soccer moms are by far the worst. Pickup trucks generally give me plenty of space.

And all y'all who are bashing on TX can suck it. You are just jealous.

Elefantino
06-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Virginia plates? I'm going with the member-of-the-military theory.

TBDSeattle
06-02-2014, 09:55 AM
And all y'all who are bashing on TX can suck it. You are just jealous.

of what?

nighthawk
06-02-2014, 10:00 AM
of what?

West Texas is beautiful country... The weather is nice... People are generally really friendly... You can dress like a goofy cowboy and nobody cares... Just to name a few.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2014, 11:51 AM

Really? Where does that come from? Get in trouble with local cops, resolve then 'stand before the man'...the military really frowns on being 'stupid in public'.

The military of today isn't like the military of post Vietnam or where ever you get your 'opinion' or theory from.

cat6
06-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Really? Where does that come from? Get in trouble with local cops, resolve then 'stand before the man'...the military really frowns on being 'stupid in public'.

The military of today isn't like the military of post Vietnam or where ever you get your 'opinion' or theory from.

i think he's just speculating that it's someone from the millitary based on the out of state plates and the fact this incident happened very close to camp pendleton. not a very far reach IMO. also, fwiw, i've heard more than one tale of cyclists being harassed riding through camp pendleton, verbally, but harassed nonetheless.

Mikej
06-02-2014, 12:15 PM

No member of the military is going to have a truck that big without some type of branch of service stickers on it. Former Marine myself and couldn't imagine being able to afford that truck, or especially go up in front of a BN C.O. -and most likely Division Commanding General for something that stupid.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2014, 12:31 PM
i think he's just speculating that it's someone from the millitary based on the out of state plates and the fact this incident happened very close to camp pendleton. not a very far reach IMO. also, fwiw, i've heard more than one tale of cyclists being harassed riding through camp pendleton, verbally, but harassed nonetheless.

I lived in SanDiego for 3 years and ridden thru Camp Pendleton dozens of times nd never got harassed. Of the services, the USMC are toughest on their troops who do stupid things outside the gate.

Until somebody knows leave the 'theories about the military' at home.

Is the guy who posted sure it wasn't some conservative republican? They drive trucks too. And some are even from Virginia.

pmac
06-02-2014, 12:32 PM

With all due respect, and I mean that sincerely not snarkily, your reaction isn't much different from what you might expect from others when stereotyping everyone from Texas in your earlier post. I'm not originally from here - grew up in Colorado - but it's like everywhere else, lots of great people, some not so much.

oldpotatoe
06-02-2014, 12:33 PM
No member of the military is going to have a truck that big without some type of branch of service stickers on it. Former Marine myself and couldn't imagine being able to afford that truck, or especially go up in front of a BN C.O. -and most likely Division Commanding General for something that stupid.

Yep, there is double jeopardy in the military...get hammered in civilian court, get hammered again at 'Captian's Mast', not sure what it's called in the USMC.

Thank you for your service, BTW

-retired USN Fighter Pilot

oldpotatoe
06-02-2014, 12:36 PM
With all due respect, and I mean that sincerely not snarkily, your reaction isn't much different from what you might expect from others when stereotyping everyone from Texas in your earlier post. I'm not originally from here - grew up in Colorado - but it's like everywhere else, lots of great people, some not so much.

Much prouder of my military service than loyalty to the state I'm living in.

One is easy, one much harder.

dpk501
06-02-2014, 12:37 PM
What a twat...

pmac
06-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Much prouder of my military service than loyalty to the state I'm living in.

One is easy, one much harder.

Maybe I wasn't clear. This is nothing about loyalty, it's about sweeping generalizations. It's fun to bash Texans and lawyers, do it myself quite a bit, but then you have to accept someone else bashing something that means a bit more to you.

malcolm
06-02-2014, 01:29 PM
I lived in SanDiego for 3 years and ridden thru Camp Pendleton dozens of times nd never got harassed. Of the services, the USMC are toughest on their troops who do stupid things outside the gate.

Until somebody knows leave the 'theories about the military' at home.

Is the guy who posted sure it wasn't some conservative republican? They drive trucks too. And some are even from Virginia.

As an ex marine '78-82 I can tell it was true then for sure. There was zero tolerance for bad behavior among the civilian population.
Also no tolerance for not paying your bills, buy a car and miss a note and the bank contacts the XO and they'll pay it for you before you get your check.
In the corps we called in "office hours" being called up before the man, next up was courts martial, I think.

biker72
06-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Regardless of who those guys are they need to be prosecuted. However with no actual contact it will probably never happen.

Honestly I've seen guys like this in pickups here in the Dallas area. Fewer now than 10 years ago.

tiretrax
06-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Regardless of who those guys are they need to be prosecuted. However with no actual contact it will probably never happen.

Honestly I've seen guys like this in pickups here in the Dallas area. Fewer now than 10 years ago.

I haven't seen it since I was in high school when a truck passenger opened his door to sweep me out of the bicycle lane. That was may years ago in Houston, which is still not as bicycle friendly as Dallas.

I rode extensively in Austin and San Antonio in the 80's, and I never had a problem. Lycra kit and cleated shoes were not a common site then, and got me lots of ridicule.

I'm with JMoore - problems are mainly with distracted drivers, especially around White Rock.

Saint Vitus
06-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Reddit has a hold of this so maybe the little penis man and his adoring GF will be outed (sorry about the sweeping generalization towards large diesel truck owners :p ).

BumbleBeeDave
06-02-2014, 04:55 PM
. . . is some sort of reliable news report as to whether this video OP actually filed a police report, whether the driver was located, charges filed, etc.

Also, just to be Devil's advocate, I've watched the video several times, and we really don't know anything about what transpired BEFORE this cyclist started his video recording.

That's the danger with any of these video accounts of incidents like this. We only see a limited window into one side of the story, and it tends to paint the video maker as a victim, and we don't know for certain what he may have done earlier to P.O. the truck driver. By that I'm not saying in the least that what WAS in the video was justified this behavior from the driver. But incidents like this are seldom totally clear cut. There's always things we don't know just from watching the video.

BBD

Dead Man
06-02-2014, 05:14 PM
. . . is some sort of reliable news report as to whether this video OP actually filed a police report, whether the driver was located, charges filed, etc.

Also, just to be Devil's advocate, I've watched the video several times, and we really don't know anything about what transpired BEFORE this cyclist started his video recording.

That's the danger with any of these video accounts of incidents like this. We only see a limited window into one side of the story, and it tends to paint the video maker as a victim, and we don't know for certain what he may have done earlier to P.O. the truck driver. By that I'm not saying in the least that what WAS in the video was justified this behavior from the driver. But incidents like this are seldom totally clear cut. There's always things we don't know just from watching the video.

BBD

All true..... but even if he did some a-hole cyclist move and pissed the truck people off- how can you justify chasing a cyclist down and throwing a full gatorade at him? It's not like the cyclist was pointing a gun at them and the gatorade was hurled in self-defense.

Maybe they just thought he was thirsty, I guess.

I totally would have snatched up and drank that gatorade, BTW... you can't ever carry enough on the bike, and ever since Strava- aint no stopping at the store.

Climb01742
06-02-2014, 05:48 PM
it's fascinating that once the cyclist said the pick up was on video, and that info sank in with driver and GF, the pick up sped away. i think most aggressive vehicle vs cyclist incidents happen when the driver feels they hold all the cards and there won't be an repercussions for their actions. video rewrites that equation.

BumbleBeeDave
06-02-2014, 05:52 PM
All true..... but even if he did some a-hole cyclist move and pissed the truck people off- how can you justify chasing a cyclist down and throwing a full gatorade at him? It's not like the cyclist was pointing a gun at them and the gatorade was hurled in self-defense.

I totally would have snatched up and drank that gatorade, BTW... you can't ever carry enough on the bike, and ever since Strava- aint no stopping at the store.

. . . you might want to read my post again?

". . . I'm not saying in the least that what WAS in the video was justified this behavior from the driver."

Sheesh.

BBD

Dead Man
06-02-2014, 05:54 PM
it's fascinating that once the cyclist said the pick up was on video, and that info sank in with driver and GF, the pick up sped away. i think most aggressive vehicle vs cyclist incidents happen when the driver feels they hold all the cards and there won't be an repercussions for their actions. video rewrites that equation.

God made men, Mr. GoPro made 'em equal.

Dead Man
06-02-2014, 05:56 PM
. . . you might want to read my post again?

". . . I'm not saying in the least that what WAS in the video was justified this behavior from the driver."

Sheesh.

BBD

I think we're having a misunderstanding. Was really just continuing comments, not really a criticism of what you said.

I guess I shouldn't have used the word "justify"

LloydB
06-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Regardless of "where" the driver is from, it was an attack on the cyclist. There are Assholes every where, but for some reason they like to hang out on PCH in OC. Riding south on PCH used to be a regular ride for me, but with increasing incidents this year of deaths and accidents I just started to avoid it. I personally have been purposely "BUZZED" by guys in their 4x4 trucks ( for some reason, it was also a white truck). Some of the driver's get a kick doing that to cyclist. So be careful when you are riding on PCH. OC's list of injured and deaths of cyclist is on the increase. I hope they catch this A-hole.

some local stories -

http://bikinginla.com/tag/orange-county/

ultraman6970
06-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Actually somebody have offered track the truck plates and post the nname of the guy everywhere?

oldpotatoe
06-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear. This is nothing about loyalty, it's about sweeping generalizations. It's fun to bash Texans and lawyers, do it myself quite a bit, but then you have to accept someone else bashing something that means a bit more to you.

I don't want get into an argument, and even if you do see it as inconsistent....I get pretty sweated up when anybody throws stones at anybody in the military for whatever reason. These people have always done the heavy lifting so civilians can easily say anything they want w/o fear of retribution.

I don't care if it makes sense to you or not. And yes, members of the military deserve some slack because of what they gladly do, for you. Unless you have been a member of the military, you just wouldn't understand.

Over and out.

LloydB
06-03-2014, 11:21 AM
That video has gone viral, so the local police is doing a full investigation. Our local news station covered the story.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/06/02/oc-cyclist-records-pickup-truck-driver-trying-to-run-him-off-road/#comments

They will catch this SOB soon. =):banana:

shovelhd
06-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Isn't it sad that's what it takes these days?

BumbleBeeDave
06-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Isn't it sad that's what it takes these days?

. . . and the comments section on the story is entertaining and sadly predictable.

BBD

donevwil
06-03-2014, 12:46 PM
. . . and the comments section on the story is entertaining and sadly predictable.

BBD

Ugh, why did I read the comments. I knew better.

rab
06-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Ugh, why did I read the comments. I knew better.

I was starting to think the same as I read through this thread...first bashing Texas, (which for all of the often spot on stereotypes was pretty cycling friendly and I spent a lot of time sharing country roads with frackers and diesel dualies when I did my time there) then the dust up regarding military...
actually, it was all kind of funny really!

William
06-04-2014, 06:28 AM

It's a good thing since most idiots would scram after they figure out they've been recorded. I guess that's the question: Do you try to let them know you are recording them, or do you do it discreetly?

Most folks when they realize you've got a recording device would likely vamoose the scene. It would suck to get that small percentage of folks who might take action to make sure that video doesn't get out there...especially on less traveled roads. Making sure their parole officer doesn't get wind of it might be an incentive to quickly get a bit more aggressive. Low percentage I know, but it did cross my mind.

William

Dead Man
06-04-2014, 11:49 AM
It's a good thing since most idiots would scram after they figure out they've been recorded. I guess that's the question: Do you try to let them know you are recording them, or do you do it discreetly?

Most folks when they realize you've got a recording device would likely vamoose the scene. It would suck to get that small percentage of folks who might take action to make sure that video doesn't get out there...especially on less traveled roads. Making sure their parole officer doesn't get wind of it might be an incentive to quickly get a bit more aggressive. Low percentage I know, but it did cross my mind.

William

If you want to be covered for low-percentage, you gotta bring tools for low-percentage.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/206304_01_lg.jpg

Otherwise, just don't worry about the unlikely stuff. That's what I do. It works.

Till it doesn't.

54ny77
06-04-2014, 12:00 PM
the day i decide that i have to have a ccw when riding is the day i stop riding.

Dead Man
06-04-2014, 12:02 PM
the day i decide that i have to have a ccw when riding is the day i stop riding.

Fortunately, while crime has risen a bit since the mid 2000s, it's overall WAY low, and basically back down to 1950s levels. The vast majority of Americans can expect to go basically unmolested their entire lives, enduring nothing more than an occasional harassment.

Personally, I'm OK with those odds. Other people like to be more prepared for unlikely stuff. To each our own.

Mikej
06-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Fortunately, while crime has risen a bit since the mid 2000s, it's overall WAY low, and basically back down to 1950s levels. The vast majority of Americans can expect to go basically unmolested their entire lives, enduring nothing more than an occasional harassment.

Personally, I'm OK with those odds. Other people like to be more prepared for unlikely stuff. To each our own.

UHM, crime down, no I don't think so. It is just reported differently. Just take identity theft and it blows all crime out of the water, cost wise. Just to mention one of todays crimes. Id rather take a good beating than an ID theft.

Dead Man
06-04-2014, 12:27 PM
UHM, crime down, no I don't think so. It is just reported differently. Just take identity theft and it blows all crime out of the water, cost wise. Just to mention one of todays crimes. Id rather take a good beating than an ID theft.

violent crime, is what I meant.

Jaq
06-04-2014, 01:18 PM

+1. That looked like a pretty full bottle. And a frosty one at that. I stopped drinking that s--t on the bike, tho. There's always some that runs down to the BB and gums up the cables.

On riding through Pendleton, I've probably done it a dozen times in 30 years, and I've never had anything but a great time - except for a couple bouts of bad-ass headwinds. And the times when stuff was happening -- armored units on the move, low passes by helos and jets -- have been awe-inspiring.

Everyone should do a Pendleton ride; it's best in the spring when the wildflowers are in bloom. Go south for tail winds, head all the way to Torrey Pines road, then grab the Amtrak and head north, sipping a few beers on the way.

William
06-04-2014, 02:58 PM
If you want to be covered for low-percentage, you gotta bring tools for low-percentage.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/206304_01_lg.jpg

Otherwise, just don't worry about the unlikely stuff. That's what I do. It works.

Till it doesn't.

Oh, I'm always prepared.:D

William

Jack Crank
06-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Man, obviously not a lotta weigh weenies in this thread...

bikinchris
06-04-2014, 05:13 PM

BBD

"BEFORE this cyclist started his video recording" "Seldom totally clear cut"? Yes, of course. Something the bike rider did or said justifies an assault and attempted battery. NOT. Nothing gives the truck driver the right to be judge, jury and executioner. Not in this century at least.

54ny77
06-04-2014, 05:49 PM
that stretch of road i know like the back of my hand. prior to that spot, there is no bike lane. it's very dangerous. always has been, for decades.

chances are, the traffic heading south on pch was bumper to bumper for miles, and didn't open up until the gate to monarch bay--which is at crown valley pkwy and heads towards laguna niguel (that long downhill stretch seen in video).

the cyclist was probably passing cars stuck on the road for a mile or two prior, maybe weaving in & out of cars (who knows), and macho truck dork got pissed. much like what many drivers do when motos lane split amidst gridlock.

and now they're all on youtube for the world to see.

djdj
06-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Anyone know if the police ever caught these perps?