PDA

View Full Version : Using loose pieces of housing

Veloo
06-01-2014, 07:33 AM
I end up with a lot of loose, short pieces of cable housing as I repair friend's bikes and my own. Wondering if it's OK to use these odds and ends to add an inch or two of needed length to the existing housing on the bike. I would put it under the bar tape so the splice point is hidden.
This would be for bikes where existing housing is in newish condition and the owner doesn't care to dish out for new housing.
Just looking at all these end pieces and thinking it's a waste and piling up.

Anyone ever try this?

oldpotatoe
06-01-2014, 08:03 AM
I end up with a lot of loose, short pieces of cable housing as I repair friend's bikes and my own. Wondering if it's OK to use these odds and ends to add an inch or two of needed length to the existing housing on the bike. I would put it under the bar tape so the splice point is hidden.
This would be for bikes where existing housing is in newish condition and the owner doesn't care to dish out for new housing.
Just looking at all these end pieces and thinking it's a waste and piling up.

Anyone ever try this?

Sure, use these things, 5mm housing only tho, der or brake.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!vbFWxTRCgCbdSix84uHRsg!/Shimano-Cable-Housing-Junction-Ferrule?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CPCD0pDe2L4CFRQmMgodpzIAAw

JAGI410
06-01-2014, 08:06 AM
http://www.jensonusa.com/Cables-and-Housing/Jagwire-Double-Ended-Connecting-Ferrule

I don't see a problem with it as long as the cable run is in a straight section and the ends are prepped well.

eddief
06-01-2014, 08:14 AM
in my heart of hearts, think I will stick with uninterrupted runs of housing.

eddief
06-01-2014, 08:15 AM
in my heart of hearts, think I will stick with uninterrupted runs of housing. of course there is always a place for a short run for the rear derailleur and rear brake. shorter than that i would probaby bite the bullet and toss it.

kramnnim
06-01-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm so cheap, I'll reuse cable crimps over and over...but never thought of splicing housing. Hmm.

...seems like a bad idea for brake housing, and not great for shift housing...?