PDA

View Full Version : Any other thoughts on ST

jl123
02-17-2006, 12:21 PM
I was reading though a post from about a week ago and read both positive, neutral and negative comments on the ST system. One negative I read was this:

"What I did not like about the ST rear was once up to speed, there was no rebound control so in fact the rear would lighten up on certain bumps/ depressions and therefore losing some stability. In fact, in one extreme example over a speed bumb going down hill (I know this damm thing well and use it for testing purposes), the rear wheel did unexpectedly leave the ground."

Has anyone else had this issue with there ST, or do you think replacment bearing would help that rider out?

Also, has anyone ever used fat tires (27-32c?) on there ST, if so does the suspension effect still occur?

Thanks, JL

SoCalSteve
02-17-2006, 12:32 PM
It has a ST rear end...

And, I use Michelin Pro Race2's 700 x 25c (kind of like a 27).

I also have a Hors Cat witrh DKS rear end....It also has the Michelin 25's on the rear end.

I find that they both work well. The DKS seems to do a better job on descending in regards to cornering and stability. Actually, a much better job. Some people say they feel the rear end squat while climbing, I dont find that to be true...

OK, back to the ST. I find that it seems to just "smooth out" the road and maybe helps a little bit on cornering, stability, etc. I have never found it to be unstable in any way under any condition.

I dont see the ST rear end being a hinderance in the least under any conditions.

Hope this helps,

Steve

jl123
02-17-2006, 12:49 PM
So cal,
Thanks for the info.
Also onelast thing, I spoke to Tom Kellog once and remember him telling me that yet another way to get vetical compliance is too do as Spectrum does, and that is to heavily bend the seat-stays horizonitally, he says his system gets some travel as well.

It would be interesting to compare the ST and Spectrum designs, a soft(ish)tail (spectrum) with a mechanical (serotta). JL

Needs Help
02-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Don't forget Seven's seat stay design, as well as Dave Kirk's terraplane design, which is sort of like the reverse of the ST.

jl123
02-17-2006, 01:17 PM
What is Seven's design?