PDA

View Full Version : Best place in Portland OR to live for a few months

elcolombiano
06-01-2014, 01:04 AM
I am thinking about spending a few months in the Portland OR area this summer to do some riding. Can anyone tell me what urban area is the best for meeting up with bicycling groups for rides both competitive and and non-competitive. The idea is to rent a furnished apartment and be as close as possible to various club ride start locations to minimize the use of a car. I also want to be in an area close to shopping, restaurants and entertainment that is safe.

Stan Lee
06-01-2014, 01:43 AM
The city is divided by the river and Burnside, if you can find a place within a couple of miles from where they cross you are in good shape and will have access to everything you are asking for. Public transport is very good so no need for a car even if your not always on your bike.

elcolombiano
06-01-2014, 01:48 AM
Thank you.

Nags&Ducs
06-01-2014, 02:12 AM
Depends on what your primary goal is. If you prioritize riding hills and countryside, then living closer to the the south side is your best bet. The West Hills area is really cool too and keeps you close to the Pearl District. It's just a little busier traffic-wise.

If it were me, I'd live anywhere near the Pearl. Check out Knob Hill. Enjoy PDX. The PNW has the best summers I've ever experienced.

estilley
06-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Portlander for 22 years chiming in here...

If you're anywhere within a few miles of the river you can find an unlimited amount of rides and people to meet up with. Northwest PDX like Knob Hill is really cool if you don't have a vehicle, the on street parking is kind of a pain. The Pearl is the perfect example of re gentrification at its finest, not necessarily a bad thing. North Portland is incredibly cool and there are a lot of new apartment buildings being built, but it's less walkable and since you'll only be here for a few months it might be better to go with something on the west side of the river, you can always ride over to the east side in just a few minutes.

Hope this is helpful!