PDA

View Full Version : does anyone make a 144BCD ring with modern ramps/pins for sharper shifting?

wallymann
05-31-2014, 09:46 PM
shifting on my old super-record cranks takes patience, wondering if anyone ever bothered to offer something to speed things up.

05-31-2014, 10:04 PM
If you look at the surfaces available for ramps and pins, you'll notice that a 42/52 or 42/53 simply doesn't have that much height you have to lift the chain over. Ramps and pins became obligatory when 39 and 34 tooth chainrings showed up -- the wall the chain has to climb is pretty daunting without all the extra assistance. If you look at cross setups such as 36/46, you won't see all the assistance on the big chainring either. In short, with a 42/52 or 42/53, you don't really need all the ramps and pins and wouldn't gain all that much from them.

Mark McM
06-02-2014, 01:47 PM
I disagree about the affect of pins/ramps with smaller chainring differentials. Triple cranks (MTB & Road) typically have about a 10 tooth difference between chainrings, and their shifting is greatly aided by pins/ramps. In fact, pins/ramps on chainrings first appeared on MTB cranks, and these almost never have chainring differentials of more than 12 teeth (more typically 10 teeth).

While double chainrings are more easily shifted than triples, and even 16 tooth differences don't absolutely require pins/ramps, the addition of pin/ramps improves front shifting even with small chainring differences.

sean
06-02-2014, 10:02 PM
T.A. Still makes the Competition chainring, it's 144 bcd and I think they are ramped/pinned.

pbarry
06-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Good to know T.A. Makes improved rings for 144bcd.

Using the originals, it's all in the wrist action. Timing and force are learned over time. You can't purchase experience. Plus, you can dump or down-shift 5-6-7-8 speeds at once. :)

Ralph
06-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Ramps and pins make a huge difference in shift quality, IMHO, even with chainrings close together. On one of my bikes I run a Record triple. 30-42-52. The 42 has both ramps and pins and is designed to work with a 30, and the 52 is timed to work with a 42 and has ramps and pins. Shifting is like turning a switch. Move the shift lever, shift is done.....immediately. The TA Vento, for 9-10 speeds has pins, and the one I had works OK I guess (big improvement over no pins), but nothing like the Campy chainrings with ramps and pins designed to work together. My other bike has a Campy square taper 39-52 and 52 has ramps and pins designed to work with a 39. Works perfect, just like flipping a switch. Move the lever, shift is done. Couldn't imagine going back. No ramps and pins only OK with friction, and why go back to that? In a pace line with my buddies, going all out I'm shifting over an almost straight block, about every 100 yards or so sometimes. Need fast perfect shifting. Can't take my hands off hoods or drops for that.

stien
06-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Good to know T.A. Makes improved rings for 144bcd.

Using the originals, it's all in the wrist action. Timing and force are learned over time. You can't purchase experience. Plus, you can dump or down-shift 5-6-7-8 speeds at once. :)

You can dump your whole cassette with the right campy ergos too :-)

Ive never had an issue running non ramped rings in the past. If it's got an older setup, I want the experience that goes along with it!

oldpotatoe
06-03-2014, 07:16 AM
shifting on my old super-record cranks takes patience, wondering if anyone ever bothered to offer something to speed things up.

Which front der?. A modern front der shifts older CRs much better than SR/NR/GranSport front ders.

wallymann
06-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Which front der?. A modern front der shifts older CRs much better than SR/NR/GranSport front ders.

nuovo/super record, old stuff, shifting is 100% archaic.

ColonelJLloyd
06-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Ramps and pins have to work together in paired rings. I would suspect the cost for a company to produce them for a 144bcd would not be worth it.