PDA

View Full Version : OT: Netflix - since when?

William
05-31-2014, 09:38 PM
All of a sudden tonight we get a warning that we are using too many screens, and that we need to pay a higher fee to be able to watch on four plus devices. We've been watching Netflix for the past couple of years and never had anything like this pop up before. Tonight our family is watching on three different devices for a while, then a warning pops up that too many screens are in use and we need to upgrade to continue. Since when? We have not seen any announcements about this. Now there are different levels of payment of HD or standard, one, two, or four screens. This hasn't been an issue until tonight.

I'm curious if anyone else knows about this, has experienced this, or has been notified about this?

William

bluesea
05-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Last I heard they *were* working on it.

Louis
05-31-2014, 09:50 PM
Not a problem I've ever had, but then I'm still on the "One DVD at a time, two DVDs per month" plan. :)

I think I've had my current DVD (Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog) since before X-mas...

pbarry
05-31-2014, 09:57 PM
NF has recently made agreements with two or three BB/cable providers; paying to play on their bandwidth/lines. Why no email explaining change in policy is disquieting.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/28/5662580/netflix-signs-traffic-deal-with-verizon

FlashUNC
05-31-2014, 10:39 PM
I seem to remember hearing something about Netflix trying to limit multiple people sharing one account across multiple locations. This seems to be the way to do it.

aramis
06-01-2014, 12:27 AM
All of a sudden tonight we get a warning that we are using too many screens, and that we need to pay a higher fee to be able to watch on four plus devices. We've been watching Netflix for the past couple of years and never had anything like this pop up before. Tonight our family is watching on three different devices for a while, then a warning pops up that too many screens are in use and we need to upgrade to continue. Since when? We have not seen any announcements about this. Now there are different levels of payment of HD or standard, one, two, or four screens. This hasn't been an issue until tonight.

I'm curious if anyone else knows about this, has experienced this, or has been notified about this?

William

I just can't imagine having the bandwidth or enough people in the house that would want to use 4 screens at once, unless you are sharing an account.

My guess is the purpose is to stop people from sharing? I mean we use Hulu+, netflix and amazon prime. Couldn't imagine having netflix going all at once on three different devices.. but maybe it's different if you have a bunch of kids or something. If so, I'd tell em to go post on internet forums or go outside or watch hulu or something.

Dead Man
06-01-2014, 12:42 AM
Not a problem I've ever had, but then I'm still on the "One DVD at a time, two DVDs per month" plan. :)

I think I've had my current DVD (Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog) since before X-mas...

My uncle had Sea Biscuit from NettyFlix on his coffee table for like 6 years. He also still uses AOL..... yes, apparently AOL still exists.

Louis
06-01-2014, 12:49 AM
He also still uses AOL..... yes, apparently AOL still exists.

And I'm proud to say that I still use dial-up. (which explains the DVDs)

Whatever you do, don't sent me an e-mail with lots of images...

bart998
06-01-2014, 01:12 AM
I guess it may be time to change my password so my kids won't keep using my Netflix... since two of them have their own places.

PQJ
06-01-2014, 05:58 AM
Haven't had that experience with netflix (yet). But the last few days I've been getting similar warnings / interruptions on Pandora. It's the next wave of gouging us plebs, I guess.

avalonracing
06-01-2014, 06:16 AM
I think it is someone reasonable. Otherwise some people will give (or rent) their password a dozen friends. It's a business.

Then again, you could be like me and have an account and never use it. Can I get a rebate for watching on zero screens?

Ahneida Ride
06-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Time warner Cable now charges me for my modem.

used to be free.

Also doubled internet fee from 30 frn to 60 frn

estilley
06-01-2014, 09:43 AM
I like how the one screen SD plan costs the same amount as the 2 screen HD plan....that's business right there.

William
06-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Well, since we really only watch shows on Friday or Saturday nights, I don't think we'll make the kids go play outside at 10:00 in the evening. There is no t.v. watching here during the week, that's one of the main reasons we got rid of cable a few years ago.

N-E-way,

I've also noticed that the streaming quality has been getting worse over the last few months. At times it would be crisp and clear like normal, but more and more frequently it would be a little more fuzzy (even when only one device was watching something on NF). Recently I've seen some articles about IP providers choking bandwidth on purpose in regards to NF.

I guess it was inevitable that as folks dropped cable and moved to streaming content that the providers would develop ways to chop it up, serve it ala carte, and charge more for it.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/23/306265434/reports-fcc-poised-for-about-face-on-net-neutrality

William