PDA

View Full Version : Bike Cases

mdeeds71
05-31-2014, 08:54 AM
I just picked up the Performance Team case. It is what it is…a decent case but before I commit to keeping it and taking my Bedford CX to Germany I was wanting to get some input on what any of you have used.

Now I predicated this with I have an IF S&S that is already in Germany by way of its hard case…no issues with that.

So what have you all used and thoughts of? Thule case that has the integrated bike stand is something that caught my eye.

Thanks,
Mark

kgreene10
05-31-2014, 10:50 AM
I made a few trips with a Performance case several years ago. It never inspired confidence but always came through just fine.

ultraman6970
05-31-2014, 04:54 PM
I have used the performance one in international flights and worked fine. JUst get good locks and strap the parts the best you can inside, you want nothing flying around.

Bruce K
05-31-2014, 05:32 PM
I have a Bikepro that has traveled all around the US. I had to replace one caster at some point but otherwise it has held up quite well.

When I fly on Southwest, if I watch what extra stuff I pack in it so as not to go overweight, it flies as my second piece of free checked baggage.

BK

justinrchan
05-31-2014, 06:05 PM
I have a Trico Iron Case and a Thule case as well and both have come through with flying colors.

Likes2ridefar
05-31-2014, 06:45 PM
i have the "coffin" by tri all 3 sports. take the front wheel off, good to go. fork locks to a nice quick release mount. very solid! stuff a few kids with the bike to save some $ if they travel nicely at elevation. and maybe 4 wheels too, plus most everything else you need for a few weeks on the road. it's huge, but wheels and a leash make it easy to roll.

but my preferred method is a softcase for weight and ease of movement. i've been all over the world with my pika packworks. both wheels off, stem off the steerer tube, pedals. room for small stuff stuffed around but nothing major. i fit 3 wheels once but it's not ideal.

muchness
05-31-2014, 10:12 PM
I've got a Bikepro tandem case and an S&S soft bag.

Both have gone back and forth once, CA-VA, with no damage incurred by either the Santana or the Surly.

The padding is great on the Bikepro, but not paying extra fees is pretty rad.

I made the mistake of taking rack and fenders, for the Surly, when they weren't necessary, I regretted that re-packing the night before going home.

donevwil
05-31-2014, 10:32 PM
My wife and I did a tour in Italy last summer, so lots of cabs, trams and trains to get around.

Her bike was in a borrowed Trico. Bomb proof and idiot proof so TSA/Inspectors were always able to repack without issue. Only drawback is it's a very awkward case to hail around, especially onto and off of trains and trams. I can't imagine what it would take to damage a bike in a Trico.

My bike was in a borrowed B&W bike case (the trapezoidal one). Mush lighter and easier to haul around and manipulate, but took a bit of finesse to close. Once TSA/Inspection resorted to tape to close it because they couldn't figure out the latch system and if latched incorrectly the latch is easily bent and damaged. Bike is somewhat loose inside and if I hadn't added a lot of spacers, foam and blocking I could easily see the bike getting damaged, especially with the difficulty for TSA to close it.

We've each now got S&S bikes. Certainly not any easier to pack and unpack, but since we've always got two boxes to handle the size and weight advantage makes sense, I hope.

Scooper
05-31-2014, 10:43 PM
I use the Thule hardcase and have never had concerns over the bike being damaged. I have had concerns about TSA rummaging through the case and either losing or breaking something, but so far after several trips on Southwest with the case as checked baggage, there have been no problems.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/Waterford%20B07014/CIMG6938sm.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/Waterford%20B07014/ThulePackingInstructionssm.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/Waterford%20B07014/ThuleHardcasewithWaterfordInsidemed.jpg

Louis
05-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Comparing across various hard-cases, I think how you pack it is at least as important as the differences between cases.

In my case ( ;) ) I didn't pack things tightly enough and when they (Fed Ex) inevitably dropped it, the frame slid down within the case, causing the large chainring to smash into the wall of the case and the ground, gouge a few dents in the case (no big deal) and bend quite a bit (a bigger deal). Mine happened to be a Trico Iron Case, and maybe their pads just aren't thick enough, but I do remember having to squeeze things together at least a bit to get the case to close.

Regardless of what you do, I've found that traveling with a bike is a hassle and always an adventure.

kgreene10
05-31-2014, 11:47 PM
In my opinion, the biggest concern about flying with any hard case is how easy it is for a TSA agent who is in a rush and not an expert in handling your particular piece of luggage to re-close it properly.

I used to travel with a Trico Iron Case. Like other hard shell cases that involve separate top and bottom pieces, it takes some attention to get the top piece entirely over the lip of the bottom piece.

TSA didn't manage it correctly one time and my Time Edge Racer arrived cracked. Southwest denied my claim. Homeowners denied my claim. After about 8 months though TSA came through with a check.

I now travel with a lighter, easier, and smaller Pika Packworks soft case. It's much better for me than a hard case in every respect. It's easy to handle, light, fits in a regular car, I can sling it over my shoulder and still roll two bags or wrangle my two year-old, and it's virtually impossible to close incorrectly (fingers crossed).

Stan Lee
06-01-2014, 12:16 AM
I've been living overseas for 8 years and have traveled with many bags. These are expensive but they are easy to pack, easy for TSA to check and offer excellent protection. If your patient you can find them on eBay or craigslist for under $500 but they are not cheap to ship.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/mjanike/ScreenShot2014-06-01at81056AM_zps6c6489c1.png (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/mjanike/media/ScreenShot2014-06-01at81056AM_zps6c6489c1.png.html)

http://sciconbags.com/en/bike-bags/aerotech-evolution.html

sitzmark
06-01-2014, 03:53 AM
First trip with the Thule Transition coming up this week (Tue.), so no actual airline/TSA information to report yet.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/T/H/TH100502_59_1000.jpg

First Impression:
Case is large and on the heavy side - 38lbs. all inclusive. 33lbs if you leave out the bike stand legs /tripod base apparatus. You do need the fork-mount rail part of the stand to lock the bike into the case, so cannot eliminate that component.

The rail locks into the case solidly, but there is no secondary fail-safe mechanism to back up the primary latch. Would be nice to have a velcro strap or some other back up in case the rail latch is triggered by large impact. Not sure if this is a valid concern or not - just an observation. The rail locks into the case securely, but locking tabs are high density plastic. Wouldn't be difficult to engineer a rubber or velcro over-strap fastened to the case bottom for extra precaution. The front of the rail locks into base prongs which are secure as long as the rear of the rail stays locked in place. The interior space is very generous. Nothing comes in contact with the bike anywhere except the fork mount and the BB strap. In my case I can leave pedals on. Saddle/post and bars must be removed for my frame (60ST/58TT). The fork mount and BB mount are adjustable on the rail to orient the frame fore/aft in the case. Wheels go into two padded sleeves and are placed on either side of the frame. I slip plumbing foam over the entire frame/fork for extra precaution.

The closure latch/locking mechanism is easy for anyone familiar with ratcheting straps. Two ratchet straps basically work the same as an instep strap on cycling shoes. Two rear prongs lock into holes in the rear of the case. If these are engaged properly, the case is very rigid and solid when latched. Two D-rings allow for a TSA lock to secure top and bottom together.

For a large case, it is exceptionally easy and balanced to maneuver. Top handle for lifting and a pull-handle on the front for easy rolling. This isn't a "car case", so unlike the Thule 699 which will mount to roof rails, your ground transportation needs to be large - SUV, P/U, minivan.

Dimensions:
Actual exterior dimensions: 54.5L x 36H x 16.5W = Dim 107 inches

For comparison:
Thule RoundTrip (699): 47L x 30H x 10.5W = 87.5 Dim (33lbs)
SciCon Aerotech Evolution: 45L x 37H x 14W = 96 Dim (27lbs)

The Transition is 20 inches bigger overall (DIM) than the 699 case, but same weight if you leave out the legs for the stand. The SciCon Evolution is 10 inches smaller overall (DIM) and 5-10 lbs lighter. The 699 and SciCon both use "compression" to secure the frame and contents within the case. The Transition uses the fork mount rail to secure the frame within the case.

Splash
06-01-2014, 06:38 AM
great cases.

i see a post referring to putting locks on the cases....

how does this work with TSA officials wanting to look inside?

splash

sitzmark
06-01-2014, 06:51 AM
great cases.

i see a post referring to putting locks on the cases....

how does this work with TSA officials wanting to look inside?

splash

There are special TSA locks that have a secondary TSA keyed mechanism that theoretically only TSA officials have access to.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/baggage-locks

Mater lock versions: http://www.masterlocktsa.com

Splash
06-01-2014, 06:58 AM
thanks.

does this apply worldwide - including australia domestic?

do these guys actually remove the frameset and everything else every time?

splash

sitzmark
06-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Not sure about WW acceptance of TSA locks - think so, but not positive.

I'm not anticipating removal of my frame from the Transition case because once the wheel bags are removed nothing obstructs viewing the entire frame. That said, TSA has the authority to inspect all items to their satisfaction. If that requires removal of some/all contents they will. Generally x-ray equipment is used for gross inspection and hand checks for dense or "odd" images. Something like a seatpost Di2 battery inside a seatpost could invite closer inspection.

rrudoff
06-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Have shipped my wifes' Ruby in Pika Packworks case to and from Hawaii and Italy at least 4 round trips, so far no damage, but I put foam with tie wraps around all tubes, put in drop out bracing, and remove the rear derailleur. Packing takes about 30 minutes, unpacking perhaps 20 plus any adjustments. As others said, much easier to handle in and out of car, and you can store case in small area. Easy to keep under 50 lbs, which avoids even more charges, but I have never gotten away without being charged for it on Hawaiian, Delta or Air France.

That being said, has anyone tried the Timbuk2 case? Has wheel, other wise looks kind of like Pika case, but have not seen in real life

djg
06-01-2014, 09:38 AM
I have an old version of that Performance case. The price was right -- a married pair of team-mates were giving it away as they had bought newer and fancier cases. Honestly, it seems like it does the job fine. It's not super-light, for sure, and it doesn't go in the back of a small rental car, but I've shoved it into the back of a van, and I've used it to ship my bike ahead to a destination a couple of times, and the bike has been fine every time. There's a method to packing your bike. Not complicated, and it doesn't require much disassembly at all, but you must do it right to have everything work out. OTOH, if you do pack it properly (and add a few bits of foam pipe insulation, you get to pack a road bike (at least a 54 cm road bike) without removing the crank or detaching the cables -- the bike, the wheels, a couple of extras -- and everything is protected by a hard case and my bike has always made the trip without damage.

If I were flying with a bike often, I'd spring for a different case -- heck, if I were doing it often I'd probably spring for couplers on an old bike or a new one. But for once in a while, this thing offers good hard-shell protection at a reasonable price.

Scooper
06-01-2014, 12:17 PM
thanks.

does this apply worldwide - including australia domestic?

do these guys actually remove the frameset and everything else every time?

splash

My experience has been that they may loosen straps enough to look at the next layer under the padding where the wheels typically are, but they've been good about tightening the straps back up after the inspection and before closing the case.

saab2000
06-01-2014, 12:38 PM
I have a BikeProUSA case I have used several times. It's good and can be easily opened for inspection. The only issue is that it's not really ideal for tall head tubes and this is now most bikes since forks protrude due to threadless steerers. Bought the case from Smiley here on the forum. :banana:

MDeeds won't have a fee issue and it's been mostly good for me too. But the average person would be charged at most airlines.

The best thing about it is that it protects the bike well and it can be easily and safely opened even by the most ham fisted TSA person.

The wheels go in wheel bags and the tools in a little duffle bag and the bars/stem get maneuvered in somehow too. There's not really a shortage of space. The bulge on the second picture is from the steerer tube. I prefer to travel with a steel frame/fork with this case because of this issue and the fact that the fork is clamped into the frame of the case. I'd be nervous about it getting thrown around at airports with carbon fork tips clamped into the case.....

It does require a bit of reassembly with the cables and such. When I use it I completely detach the bars/stem from all the respective cable points. For this reason alone soldered cable ends would be a great thing....

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2908/14298861476_4446afa92e_o.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2915/14342197813_de3e7d813d_o.jpg

93legendti
06-01-2014, 12:54 PM
First trip with the Thule Transition coming up this week (Tue.), so no actual airline/TSA information to report yet.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/T/H/TH100502_59_1000.jpg

That's a sweet looking case...reminds me of the TriAll3 double bike case siting in my garage since I went to a Bike Friday in 2007...:crap::crap::crap:

FastforaSlowGuy
06-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Pika packworks. Light and easy to handle. TSA searches it every time and its pretty idiot proof to reclose (zipper, no fancy buckles). I add pipe foam to the tubes just in case they repack it sloppy. No problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sitzmark
06-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Just back from Ride the Rockies and traveling with the Transition case was a very pleasant experience. Surprised actually ... but couldn't have been easier.

The vertical orientation of the case made it very easy to roll and maneuver as I pulled it behind me. With roll-on suitcase in one hand and Transition case in the other I had zero issues navigating airport concourses, bathrooms, restaurants, rental car bus, etc. My brother accompanied me on the trip - he using the Thule 699 Round Trip case. Side-by-side the Transition is obviously bigger, but functionally the Transition was easier to travel with because of the vertical orientation (wheel mode).

After a round trip from Boston to Denver, the Transition had a few small scuffs upon arrival in Denver - still looking new. The Denver baggage handler (UAL) was very complimentary when returning my Transition to the oversize baggage station, said it was an easy case to work with. The case was actually returned before checked baggage began arriving at the carousel. Traveling with bike, I was on my way to car rental before anyone who checked a bag. Amazing. Much the same on the return trip.

I used a spare hub/cassette to tension the chain and protect the dropouts. Left the rear derailleur in place. Dropout mount for forks, so basically removed both wheels, saddle/post, and zip tied bars/stem to TT/fork. Upon arrival, I rebuilt the bike (saddle / bars) and used the case with the top removed as a fork-mount carrier inside the rented minivan. Transporting brother's empty Round Trip case and his rebuilt bike was more of a challenge, but we worked it out. Spent 3 days in Summit County before RTR to get "acclimated".

Transition is an expensive case ($599 list), but 20% discounts are fairly easy to come by (REI member days, EMS, BackCountry, etc.). Despite the expense, it was comforting to know my bike was well protected. Especially on the return trip after seeing how well everything made it through TSA and baggage handling on the way out. The two biggest advantages to the Transition case (IMO) are the fork/BB rail mount and not requiring compression to close up the case.

justinrchan
06-29-2014, 01:11 AM
+1 thule case has been great for me too.
Also have a Trico Iron Case that has been great too

I use the Thule hardcase and have never had concerns over the bike being damaged. I have had concerns about TSA rummaging through the case and either losing or breaking something, but so far after several trips on Southwest with the case as checked baggage, there have been no problems.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/Waterford%20B07014/CIMG6938sm.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/Waterford%20B07014/ThulePackingInstructionssm.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/Waterford%20B07014/ThuleHardcasewithWaterfordInsidemed.jpg