PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Andrew , Touring stories please

Smiley
02-17-2006, 08:52 AM
To follow up the thread about the e-bay Rapid Tour , interest was generated about your experiances with touring for 2 years as you stated. We also wanted to see pictures of the rig you used. Since Touring is a specialty of yours and I am interested along with others on this subject could you tell us more about what you did and is it true you rode across the Red Sea :)

Bradford
02-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Here are some pictures.

http://wheelworks.com/spot9.htm

Serotta_Andrew
02-17-2006, 09:08 AM
To follow up the thread about the e-bay Rapid Tour , interest was generated about your experiances with touring for 2 years as you stated. We also wanted to see pictures of the rig you used. Since Touring is a specialty of yours and I am interested along with others on this subject could you tell us more about what you did and is it true you rode across the Red Sea :)

I need to scan my pictures as they are in this strange form on paper and this see through thing... i think they are called negatives....

i really did not cross the Red Sea ... more like skimming across the top....

Smiley
02-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Great I think I can say that we'll look forward to the stories and pictures. Smiley

93legendti
02-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Can't wait to see pics! The family is seriously considering a ride in Israel that starts on my 45th b-day, so this thread has my interest piqued (or is it peaked?) !

Smiley
02-18-2006, 12:09 PM
shameless bump to remind Andrew of our interest :)

Serotta_Andrew
02-18-2006, 12:22 PM

Smiley, Later next week as Saratoga has no power since friday mornig and not sure when it will return....

Kevin
02-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Smiley, Later next week as Saratoga has no power since friday mornig and not sure when it will return....

If you increase the price of your frames you can afford to pay the electric bill. :D

Kevin

Sandy
02-18-2006, 12:54 PM
If you increase the price of your frames you can afford to pay the electric bill. :D

Kevin

When they sell enough MeiVicis, they are going to build their own power plant. :) :)

Just kidding, Ben. Just kidding.

Nuclear Waste Sandy

Serotta PETE
02-18-2006, 01:10 PM
While I am more of a credit card tourer, I truly would enjoy the pictures, stories, experiences, recommendations....THANKS

Smiley is going to tow me around on his new S&S Travel bike.. :banana: h

93legendti
02-18-2006, 02:44 PM

Bump in lieu of a sticky thread. I want to see photos of Andrew riding thru the Gidi and Mitla pases. :D

Smiley
02-22-2006, 09:19 AM
another shameless bump

andy mac
02-22-2006, 03:10 PM
if you're interested in touring an old friend went on the road about a decade ago and just kept going. she's actually turned it into a career :beer: she now works for bike friday and has written books, made a dvd etc.

here's her website. tons of stuff. you can get lost on it for ages.

http://www.galfromdownunder.com/

cheers,

andy

Smiley
02-24-2006, 07:53 AM
another shameless bump , Andrew do you want BBDave to run an extension cord from his home to yours :)

Serotta_Andrew
02-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Smiley,

I can tell you this about Egypt. Do not believe what the road map tells you. We were biking along, in the wee early hours before it became too hot, heading towards a town onthe map. After 40 or so miles on this nice flat road through the desert we come over a sand dune and the road comes to a stop!!! yes it just stops in the middle of nowhere!!!!! no sign no nothing..... just sand as far as the eye can see. I thought the heat had gotten to me and I was just seeing things but no, there was no road at all. We had to turn around and go back to where we started... nice ride to nowhere!!!!

Smiley
02-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Andrew , tell me about how this whole adventure got planted in your head , the prep you did and your start off point , Egypt , how much riding did you do there and how was riding through the desert to get over to Sina to cross over the red sea via ferry and then over to israel , What did passport control think of you . way too many questions and not enough answers . I need to know about how you hooked up with cairo cyclists and how much riding did you do solo and with riders while in Egypt , did you ride to sight see or what ? Thanks in advance .

Serotta PETE
02-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Smiley,

I can tell you this about Egypt. Do not believe what the road map tells you. We were biking along, in the wee early hours before it became too hot, heading towards a town onthe map. After 40 or so miles on this nice flat road through the desert we come over a sand dune and the road comes to a stop!!! yes it just stops in the middle of nowhere!!!!! no sign no nothing..... just sand as far as the eye can see. I thought the heat had gotten to me and I was just seeing things but no, there was no road at all. We had to turn around and go back to where we started... nice ride to nowhere!!!!

SMILEY has a ride like this planned for us in MAY