PDA

View Full Version : Threatened by Strava web site

elcolombiano
05-31-2014, 12:23 AM
My almost new (200 Miles, less than 2 weeks old) Hutchinson 25 MM tubeless tire blew out on my way home from my 28 mile training ride. I did not want to mess with trying to boot it and put a tube in out on the rode so I called my wife and she drove over and picked me up. I forgot to stop my Garmin GPS and the next day uploaded my ride to Strava as I usually do after each ride. Today I get an email from Strava that my ride times are not credible and that I can either delete the entire ride or crop the portion that they do not believe I rode or they will not accept my data from rides in the future. Did I take away someone's KOM and they complained to Strava? People take this stuff pretty seriously. They sent me a tool that allowed me to crop out the portion of the ride my wife drove me home in so all is good now with Strava. I did not steal anyones KOM.

Louis
05-31-2014, 12:38 AM
You should have had her drive home at 28.6 mph with random variations thrown in.

Pelican
05-31-2014, 12:59 AM
How were you "threatened by Strava"? You uploaded bad data and they asked you to fix it. Everyone has the ability to crop a ride. I do it whenever I forget to end my ride and drive home, or around town.

joosttx
05-31-2014, 01:06 AM
How were you "threatened by Strava"? You uploaded bad data and they asked you to fix it. Everyone has the ability to crop a ride. I do it whenever I forget to end my ride and drive home, or around town.

I agree where's the threat? You made a mistake and Strava asked you to fix it. It's no big deal fix it and live you life to its fullest.

NickR
05-31-2014, 01:07 AM
I've stayed away from Strava, but might such sign up now to upload some "bad data" just for kicks.

elcolombiano
05-31-2014, 01:23 AM
I tried to crop it it when I uploaded the data. I could not find the tool to do it. I even posted a note in the description that I had a flat and part of the ride was in a car.

The threat was that unless I crop or deleted the ride they would no longer let me upload data.

For me the site is just for fun. Some people take this stuff way to seriously.

kramnnim
05-31-2014, 06:13 AM
Did I take away someone's KOM and they complained to Strava?

Yes, someone got an email saying that they lost their KOM, and the person hit the "Flag ride" button when they saw that you were in a car. Happens all the time.

Dired
05-31-2014, 06:27 AM
I was always wondering how this type if stuff is enforced. Can't blame them for defending the legitimacy of their product and brand. With Strava it's no longer about the rider, verification is important because they are selling their data.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/05/07/strava-popular-with-cyclists-and-runners-wants-to-sell-its-data-to-urban-planners/

Joachim
05-31-2014, 06:37 AM
Feeling threatened by Strava is taking it way too seriously.

shovelhd
05-31-2014, 06:57 AM
Strava is serious bizness.

Mr. Pink
05-31-2014, 07:07 AM
I'm going to sign up as Clark Kent and really screw with them.

kramnnim
05-31-2014, 07:14 AM
Waste of time and gas, flagging a ride is less effort than replying to this thread. It's really not a big deal at all. If you want to screw with anyone, go take the KOM on your bike, then they will feel obliged to reclaim it by bike and everyone wins. :hello:

oldpotatoe
05-31-2014, 07:27 AM
My almost new (200 Miles, less than 2 weeks old) Hutchinson 25 MM tubeless tire blew out on my way home from my 28 mile training ride. I did not want to mess with trying to boot it and put a tube in out on the rode so I called my wife and she drove over and picked me up. I forgot to stop my Garmin GPS and the next day uploaded my ride to Strava as I usually do after each ride. Today I get an email from Strava that my ride times are not credible and that I can either delete the entire ride or crop the portion that they do not believe I rode or they will not accept my data from rides in the future. Did I take away someone's KOM and they complained to Strava? People take this stuff pretty seriously. They sent me a tool that allowed me to crop out the portion of the ride my wife drove me home in so all is good now with Strava. I did not steal anyones KOM.

That is hilarious. Are that many hooking their computer to a car or skate board or skis or whatever to get KOM stuff? I guess....silly, IMHO.

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-31-2014, 07:34 AM

Nags&Ducs
05-31-2014, 08:16 AM
Feeling threatened by Strava is taking it way too seriously.

Is it only me, but I almost feel the OP had a bit of togue planted in cheek. :beer::beer::beer:

BumbleBeeDave
05-31-2014, 08:17 AM
. . . right?

I'm seriously at a loss to understand why people put so much effort into Strava. I go ride my bike to get AWAY from stress, not create more!

BBD

Tony T
05-31-2014, 08:28 AM
Did I take away someone's KOM and they complained to Strava?

Unless you were driving under 35MPH (or so), the software probably flagged it.

kgreene10
05-31-2014, 10:58 AM
The note you got is "Phase 1." If you fail to crop or remove, phase 2 is the Strava mafia riding uncomfortably close to you all next week, throwing in a few hip checks in tight turns. If you still fail to comply, your USAC upgrade points disappear. After that, your riding buddies shun you. The following phase involves a dude, a pee cup, and an embarrassing anti-doping test while you are out with your family at TGIFridays. No one has ever held out for the subsequent phases but rumor has it that the steps eventually merge with Dianetics.

Joachim
05-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Is it only me, but I almost feel the OP had a bit of togue planted in cheek. :beer::beer::beer:

Hmm... Researching previous threads will give you an answer :)

Chris
05-31-2014, 11:47 AM
I don't download my data to Strava anymore. I figure the NSA is tracking the whereabouts my phone so all the rides are recorded someplace somewhere.

William
05-31-2014, 04:15 PM
The note you got is "Phase 1." If you fail to crop or remove, phase 2 is the Strava mafia riding uncomfortably close to you all next week, throwing in a few hip checks in tight turns. If you still fail to comply, your USAC upgrade points disappear. After that, your riding buddies shun you. The following phase involves a dude, a pee cup, and an embarrassing anti-doping test while you are out with your family at TGIFridays. No one has ever held out for the subsequent phases but rumor has it that the steps eventually merge with Dianetics.

The last phase if you fail to crop: It will happen this way. You may be just riding along. Maybe the first sunny day of the spring. And a car will slow beside you, and a door will open, and someone you know, maybe even trust, will stop and get out of the car. And he will smile, a becoming smile. But he will leave open the door of the car and offer to give you a lift.....

:eek:

;)
William

AngryScientist
05-31-2014, 04:28 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YNRQASCtFTQ/T-BhanziuXI/AAAAAAAAAEE/iIi6zPhwRLw/s400/this.is.strava.gif

beeatnik
05-31-2014, 04:33 PM
Wasn't some guy's dirty riding betrayed by his Strava uploads. Wife figured out he was having an affair by checking his data.

Black Dog
05-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Strava is an old latin word that means: One who takes himself too seriously. In the middle ages it was used in old english with a different meaning: One who misses the point of what what he is doing. The current usages, according to Webster's english dictionary now recognizes that it now holds both meanings simultaneously. It is rare indeed in language for the meaning of a word to converge, the usual pattern is one of divergence.

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/forums/images/smilies/old_ubb_smilies/professor.gif

jimoots
05-31-2014, 07:07 PM
This thread screams irony on so many levels.

FWIW Strava sometimes auto-flags rides when it can tell you hopped in a car.

majorpat
05-31-2014, 07:23 PM
Remember when having an Avocet cyclo-computer was the dizzying height of technology?

dsimon
05-31-2014, 07:26 PM
No but I remember when I had to drive the route I wanted to know how many miles:help:

oldpotatoe
05-31-2014, 07:43 PM
strava is an old latin word that means: One who takes himself too seriously. In the middle ages it was used in old english with a different meaning: One who misses the point of what what he is doing. The current usages, according to webster's english dictionary now recognizes that it now holds both meanings simultaneously. It is rare indeed in language for the meaning of a word to converge, the usual pattern is one of divergence.

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/forums/images/smilies/old_ubb_smilies/professor.gif

potfd!!!

Louis
05-31-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm not a "user" and more of a retro-grouch than anything else, but I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that there are super-competitive folks out there who like to measure themselves against others and against their own past performances. Great for them - they can knock themselves out. Why should I give a fnck?

We're all different in our own way. As long as you're not running red lights and killing 71 year old pedestrians trying to improve your time, go for it.

pbarry
05-31-2014, 08:40 PM
Strava, meh. Maybe the TSA has your info, too. I rode my bike this morning, with no computer, handlebars were so uncluttered, as nature intended. Didn't even know what time it was. Data, meh, just ride.

Sweet ride, I wanted that one. :beer:

pbarry
05-31-2014, 08:42 PM
Marianne Vos doesn't use strava..

LJohnny
05-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Strava, meh. Maybe the TSA has your info, too. I rode my bike this morning, with no computer, handlebars were so uncluttered, as nature intended. Didn't even know what time it was. Data, meh, just ride.

Nice bike! You mean NSA, not TSA, right>? Unless he is really flying on that bike :D

kramnnim
05-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Marianne Vos doesn't use strava..

Nor does Wilco Kelderman... (ow) (http://www.strava.com/activities/147389372/overview)

fiataccompli
05-31-2014, 09:21 PM
What did they send to crop the ride data?

I enjoy strava for friendly ribbing with friends and for figuring out what kind of times for climbs ought to be competitive in certain races, but generally I think it's kind of silly. ..just bike based social networking (for me, that is)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

pbarry
05-31-2014, 09:27 PM
Nor does Wilco Kelderman... (ow) (http://www.strava.com/activities/147389372/overview)

Don't know anyone by that name but I like the band. ;) Looks like MV is on the site, but doubt it's for anything but contractual obligations. I stand corrected yet remain dubious. :banana:

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-01-2014, 04:36 AM

zap
06-01-2014, 06:51 AM
Going for a ride now, sans "gadets." Will it count?

Bonus points.

kramnnim
06-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Don't know anyone by that name but I like the band. ;) Looks like MV is on the site, but doubt it's for anything but contractual obligations. I stand corrected yet remain dubious. :banana:

Kelderman finished 4th in this years Giro.

It's very interesting to see the Pros' ride data from the various races...Giro, Tour, etc. Oh, and Terpstra's Paris-Roubaix win...

pbarry
06-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Kelderman finished 4th in this years Giro.

It's very interesting to see the Pros' ride data from the various races...Giro, Tour, etc. Oh, and Terpstra's Paris-Roubaix win...

Race data is informative. Do Vos and Kelderman post training data on strava? I'd like to know.

jimoots
06-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Race data is informative. Do Vos and Kelderman post training data on strava? I'd like to know.

Some but not all. His rides can be found here:

http://www.strava.com/pros/479385

Laurens ten Dam tends to be a fair bit more active, posting training rides etc.

http://www.strava.com/pros/laurenstendam

I assume the pros that are active on there get paid to do so. Nonetheless, its very interesting (and humbling) to check out their rides and races, especially if they are running a PM.

kramnnim
06-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Yes, they do. Laurens ten Dam does, too...he's been in CA since the TOC. KOM-ing climbs at 130bpm...the previous KOM guys were at 175+.

The Belkin guys upload power data...most of the other pros don't.

kramnnim
06-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Hmm, I'll see if the guy I know that works for Strava will say if they pay LtD, etc.

FlashUNC
06-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Laurens Ten Dam is ridiculous.

Posted a ride yesterday of 140 miles and about 16,000 feet of climbing. Talk about training.

Definitely shows the kind of difference between us mere mortals and the elites.