PDA

View Full Version : Shimano D/A or Ultegra Bottom Bracket?

FierteTi52
02-17-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm ordering a set of the New Shimano Compact cranks today and need to buy a bottom bracket for them. I know the cranks are Ultegra quality and I'm undecided on which bottom bracket to buy. The 6600 Ultegra is $37.99 and The 7800 Dura Ace is $41.99. I assume I can use either one with the cranks, so I figure for $3.00 more I'll buy the D/A. Are the bearings of better quality, is the finish any nicer? Should I save the $3.00?
Jeff

gone
02-17-2006, 08:26 AM
I'm ordering a set of the New Shimano Compact cranks today and need to buy a bottom bracket for them. I know the cranks are Ultegra quality and I'm undecided on which bottom bracket to buy. The 6600 Ultegra is $37.99 and The 7800 Dura Ace is $41.99. I assume I can use either one with the cranks, so I figure for $3.00 more I'll buy the D/A. Are the bearings of better quality, is the finish any nicer? Should I save the $3.00?
Jeff

The $3.00 is no biggie - the difference is longevity. You'll get a much longer life out of the Ultegra than the Dura Ace. Install the Ultegra and forget about it.

FierteTi52
02-17-2006, 08:31 AM
The $3.00 is no biggie - the difference is longevity. You'll get a much longer life out of the Ultegra than the Dura Ace. Install the Ultegra and forget about it.

I remember the old style D/A Octalink had a poor track record. Is the longevity still an issue with the current D/A vs Ultegra line?
Jeff

RedCoeurd'Acier
02-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Supposely, the bearings are the same in either one. There was a rumor that Shimano is going to put better bearings in the Dura Ace 10 spd. one. I don't know when that will be. You can send them to Phil wood for replacement bearings of a bit better quality. Or you can buy from www.bocabearings.com, they have a great selection also. :)

dirtdigger88
02-17-2006, 08:57 AM
ya want good bearings-

here ya go

http://www.philwood.com/Price%20List/SpecdCyclingComponentBearings.pdf

http://velonews.com/galleries/OBBTOOLINST.pdf

glad to help

Jason

FierteTi52
02-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Supposely, the bearings are the same in either one.
If the bearings are the same, I guess I'll save the $3.00 and go with the Ultegra BB.
Jeff

gone
02-17-2006, 05:09 PM
I remember the old style D/A Octalink had a poor track record. Is the longevity still an issue with the current D/A vs Ultegra line?
Jeff

The principle difference IMHO is that the ultegra is a sealed unit and is therefore not susceptible to water/dirt/corrosion/crud like the D/A which relies on rubber gaskets being (which age) being properly compressed (which changes with wear) for a tight seal. As I said, put on the ultegra and forget it.